Author Topic: LVG C.VI, Pegasus 1/72  (Read 28343 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: LVG C.VI, Pegasus 1/72
« Reply #135 on: February 13, 2019, 07:10:34 AM »
Wonderful to see that this one is back again - hopefully to be finisherd. That really does look like a much larger scale model.

Stephen.

Offline Wolf

• The challenge is in the scale
« Reply #136 on: February 25, 2019, 11:17:13 PM »
Started with the rigging.
I drilled blind holes in the underside of the top wing an glued black artifical hair from a wig into the holes.

A model thrives on its overall impression and not on that every little disagreement over the original is hyped up as a disaster

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #137 on: February 26, 2019, 03:09:29 AM »
Outstanding start on the wing and rigging! The black wig hair is a great choice for 1/72nd. Thin and no need to paint or color it in any way!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #138 on: February 26, 2019, 04:11:58 AM »
Using hair is a really novel idea - I admit that I would not have thought of it. Just goes to show what a brilliant site this ideas for exchanging ideas.

The wing looks superb - looking forwards to seeing more.

Stephen.

Offline Wolf

« Reply #139 on: February 27, 2019, 04:44:00 AM »
Yes, but only artificial hair. Real human hair will dry out and loose its tension force over the time.
A model thrives on its overall impression and not on that every little disagreement over the original is hyped up as a disaster

Online Borsos

« Reply #140 on: February 27, 2019, 07:20:57 AM »

but it was worth trying out!

Kidding aside - fantastic model!!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Wolf

« Reply #141 on: February 28, 2019, 08:22:14 PM »
@Borsos:  :)

For me, one of the thrilling moments building biplanes is, when the upper wing is glued into position.

This is done now. I have different aproaches doing this. If the plane has stable fuselage struts like it is given with the LVG, I will only glue the upper wing to the fuselage struts and add the wing struts, beginning with the inner struts later. This gives me more space for the rigging.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #142 on: February 28, 2019, 09:41:33 PM »
Looks awesome as a biplane! Adding te upper wing is also one of My favorite points in a build...providing all goes well  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: March 01, 2019, 04:27:49 AM »
  I have been following this since it's beginning some time back and have to say you've done wonders with a very "basic" Kit! I recently finished a 1:32 Scale model of this and can really appreciate the detail and wonderful finish you've achieved on this relatively tiny version. Superb model, and almost finished, keep up the great work!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #144 on: March 01, 2019, 04:39:05 AM »
Always love your builds Wolf!cant wait for the Finale on this one!

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #145 on: March 01, 2019, 08:47:28 AM »
Unconventional stuff making a great rigging work, all looking very fine.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #146 on: March 01, 2019, 11:51:13 PM »
Looks awesome as a biplane! Adding te upper wing is also one of My favorite points in a build...providing all goes well  8)
RAGIII
I quote our friend Rick, to me the upper wing moment is the more difficult moment in the process of making a ww1 plane. I softly smile under my moustache when I hear people being terrified by rigging...

Great idea using artificial hair to rig...

Keep up the magnificent work Wolf!

Offline Wolf

« Reply #147 on: January 12, 2022, 11:28:14 PM »
Well, it's "just" 3 years ago since my last posting. The LVG went to the shelf of doom after I experimented with new rigging materials. The artifical hair didn't work. It was hard to tension and sagged after a few days.
I decided to remove the upper wing to remove the artifical hair and the selfmade turnbuckles but the three part upper wing brokes in two parts. At this point I lost my temper and put the whole thing into a box.
Some days ago, while cleaning my hobby room, I found that box again. A decision was to made. Trash or try? I had some time, no projects on my workbench and no WW1 plane since three years. So I decieded to give it a last try. I repaired  the wing, glued invisible thread (my favorite material) into newly bired holes and glued the upper wing onto the center struts. After drying, I added the wing struts which I made from brass (thinned struts from the company Strutz).
After all has dried I started rigging again, beginning from the outside.

Offline Radarman

« Reply #148 on: January 12, 2022, 11:45:44 PM »
Wolf,
It's good to see this bird take to the skies once again. I look forward to seeing the final result.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #149 on: January 13, 2022, 01:39:31 AM »
Wolfgang,

Glad to see you back on it.  I have opened this kit and looked at it, but never had the courage to start it.  I went back and read your posts.  I will have to remember to try your wood technique on a future build.  I think it looks marvelous.

Stuart