Author Topic: Painting/colouring rigging line  (Read 5060 times)

Offline Epeeman

Painting/colouring rigging line
« on: September 08, 2012, 04:01:39 AM »
All,

I have always painted my rigging lines 'steel'  darkened up using a bit of black/brown added into the paint.  The stretched cotton bud handles I use to simulate turnbuckles are painted plain steel to add a bit of contrast with the rigging line.

My question is, is it really necessary to paint the line at all?  Looking on the web, it appears to me that some modellers simply leave the line (usually fishing line) unpainted.  Rigging is difficult enough as it is without then having to paint when in situ.  The 2lb fishing line I use has a translucent grey colour.  I'm not sure this would really show up well against the model if not coloured.

So, what do you more experienced folks do?   If you do colour, what is the correct colour to use?

Advice appreciated, please!

Best regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Painting/colouring rigging line
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 04:30:04 AM »
Dave, I try to replicate a steel color, as well.  However, I would neve attempt to do it in situ.  I'm just way too clumsy.  Instead, I place my monofilament spool on a bamboo scewer "spindle", then pinch the line between a sheet of cardboard on my bench and a broad tip black Sharpie and pull it through.  I keep going until I have several feet of it, at least enough for the job at hand.  I then roll it all back on the spool and repeat the process using a silver Sharpie.  I end up with something resembling steel without the paint build-up and I can still fit two lengths of the stuff in a .33 id brass tube.  Your rigging looks awfully good, mate.  Why mess with a good thing?
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 05:14:54 AM »
Bud,
   Until my last build (finished yesterday) I struggled with this one. I've tried "Sharpies" both before and after rigging and found that it didn't cover well enough and "flaked". Both permanent and water based inks didn't work out. I also tried various consistencies of enamels and acrylics but it was never the perfect solution. I use all manner of fishing line, mostly 2 pound test (0.13mm) like you and also guitar wire for short runs such as control wires.
   Someone (here I think) put me on to Laquer, specifically Mr. Metal Colour and I used #213 Stainless and a few wires of that darkened with #214 Dark Iron on my last Build, it is great and I believe it would be hard to beat. I don't believe that unpainted replicates the steel or dark grey of the real wires so I personally don't like the un-coloured result. I saw a few examples of it at a Show this Spring and thought it detracted from otherwise magnificent models.
   Hope this helps you find a solution.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 07:11:05 AM »
Dave - Like Lance, I paint my rigging lines with Mr Metal Color Stainless No.213, it is a lacquer based paint so has the very quick drying qualities, it is also buffable which gives it a nice new metal look. I paint the rigging lines as they are fitted, this saves the hassle of having to paint between a maze of rigging. It is very easy to paint the line in situ, use a good soft brush and starting at one end run the brush the length of the rigging line, normally one pass will do the trick. It is important to place a piece of paper on the wing (top of the bottom wing) to eliminate the chances of any paint splatters settling on your freshly painted wing. I use micro brass tube for my turnbuckles and leave them unpainted, they do tarnish in time and look very similar in colour to original turnbuckles.

If you have a look at my scratch built Voisin you will see it has an enormous amount of rigging, it was all painted in situ using the method and paint described above.

Des.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 07:13:02 AM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 07:40:30 AM »
Gentleman,

Many, many thanks for replying to my quandary on painting/colouring rigging so quickly - very much appreciated.

In some ways, this has reassured me on what I am already doing - I like the simple idea of painting in situ (as I already do) using paper around the model surface to protect from dripping paint.

I will therefore carry on using a darkened steel for the line and plain steel for the turnbuckles.

Very best regards

Dave

Offline Steven Robson

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 09:35:06 PM »
Hello Dave

I don't paint my rigging line.  I use graphite impregnated monofilament (0.14mm diameter).  It's already the right colour and not painting the line gives a cleaner build.

Cheers
Steven Robson

p.s.  I forgot to add that I also use brass tube for turnbuckles; I weather these by using a brass blackening solution.  You can get this at your local home restoration centre.  It's the stuff that home renovators use to make their new brass door knockers look old.  One bottle will last a modelling life-time.  The chemical process is quite quick (watch your turnbuckles as they blacken, no cups of tea here) and stop the process with water; then give the buckles a light buff with a soft cloth.  Takes all the bling! out of new metal.  Also use it for your eyelets but don't forget to clean your brass with solvent before you start.  Gun shops also sell this type of product (at a premium price).  Thread all your buckles and eyelets onto a pice of fishing line before you dip. 

Happy shooting, sorry, I meant rigging.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 10:22:33 PM by Steven Robson »
Make Otto your motto for lovely spoked wheels.

Offline Edo

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 11:34:57 PM »
Hi Dave,
I used to paint my rigging, but now I use the tecnique described by Coyotemagic.
I found a black felt pen which uses an oil based colour which stiks also to pastic, unfortunately it is black and not silver, but the risult it is not that bad...

ciao
Edo

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 01:24:45 AM »
Thanks,

Steven/Edo - advice welcome and appreciated.

Steven - thanks for the tip although my rigging method is to drill through the wings, then pass through the fishing line into the pre - drilled holes.  Before passing through, I add a cut to size, stretched cotton bud handle to simulate a turnbuckle.  Therefore, no eyelets or brass tubes used.   I'll bear in mind your tip though should I go down the eyelet and brass tube method in the future.

Best regards

Dave

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 09:59:52 AM »
  Dave,
Just a thought, have you thought about using a Tamiya Paint Pen over smoke colored thread for a steel like finish? Hope this tidbit helps my old freind.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 01:10:17 AM »
Thanks, gents -

Gregory - not heard of a Tamiya paint pen, so this sounds interesting.........

Best regards

Dave

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 08:43:48 AM »
Thanks, gents -

Gregory - not heard of a Tamiya paint pen, so this sounds interesting.........

Best regards

Dave

I was told a year back that these pens are no longer available (Looked "high and low" for them for the same purpose) Can anyone confirm?
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Harleyman

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 06:17:25 PM »
Hello Gents
Newbie here.Great forum.
At Scalemodelworld this year the best overall aircraft was a WNW fe2B by Jose Martinez Fernandez.The workmanship in this model was absolutely superb with all rigging / control wires represented and it looked so realistic with a fantastic metallic effect. I am at odds as to how it was achieved and was wondering if anyone knows this gentlemen or his techniques. It may be that members here saw the model at the show and recognise the materials used.
Anyone have any ideas? 
Thanks in anticipation.
Alan

Offline Edo

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 09:32:39 PM »
Hi Alan!
I really haven't seen the work of the guy, but if you look at Des' site you'll find a LOT of information and useful tips: he is a real master and second to none, so I am pretty sure you'll find what you need!
Have fun
Ciao
Edo

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 02:13:35 AM »
Hello Gents
Newbie here.Great forum.
At Scalemodelworld this year the best overall aircraft was a WNW fe2B by Jose Martinez Fernandez.The workmanship in this model was absolutely superb with all rigging / control wires represented and it looked so realistic with a fantastic metallic effect. I am at odds as to how it was achieved and was wondering if anyone knows this gentlemen or his techniques. It may be that members here saw the model at the show and recognise the materials used.
Anyone have any ideas? 
Thanks in anticipation.
Alan

Alan,
   I've not seen the subject you refer to however after a myriad of poor methods I've found (my perspective) a near perfect solution. I used Mr. Metal Color #213 "Stainless" on my last build and found it worked perfectly, very thin, quick to cover and a great effect. I also have their #214 Dark Iron and I intend to use a mix on my next build to darken it slightly. They have a "Steel" color as well which may be dark enough but I can't presently find it. It's hard to find here, I'm told it's an "Official Language Policy" thing here in canada although I seem to recall someone mentioning it's available some places in Ontario.
   If you can find it I'd recommend it's worth trying.
Cheers
Lance

Offline Harleyman

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 04:25:57 PM »
Edo / Lance
Gents,
Thanks for the replies. I have read all of Des's tutorials and posts and will have a go at painting the rigging as suggested.
Regards
Alan