Author Topic: Nieuport font  (Read 1336 times)

Offline Black Max 72

Nieuport font
« on: October 26, 2016, 02:49:42 PM »
Hi all

Not sure if this is known or not but in my researches into the Nieuport 11s of 1 Naval wing RNAS I've been searching for fonts to print my own decals for the rudder serials, I've finally stumbled onto what appears to be the original stencil font that was used for Nieuport aircraft and possibly other french makes as well. It is called Charrette, it is a stencil typeface inspired by the lettering of a Swiss architect called Le Corbusier's who used it on his architectural drawings. It also appears to have been a popular stencil typeface with the french railways in the early part of the 20th century among other things. It is also known today as the Le Corbusier or Modular Stencil font but if you Google search Charrette font you will find it freely available as a .ttf file. If you compare it to the surviving rudders in museums you will find it is spot on match for the numbers. I hope this may come in handy for any Nieuport fans out there.

regards
Dave.

Offline Borsos

Re: Nieuport font
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 03:35:19 PM »
Dave, thank you very much for that valuable information!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.