Author Topic: Servie men & women  (Read 3297 times)

Offline Medic

Servie men & women
« on: October 08, 2016, 09:26:23 PM »
So i just read RAGIII touching tribute about his father who was a servcemnan, and thought it fittng for all curret and ex-service personal to be lound and proud. Let me start off :
20 years Royal Australian Army Corps.

Medic ;D
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 09:31:06 PM by Medic »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Servie men & women
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 05:36:20 AM »
9 years Royal Australian Air Force

Des.

My Great Grandfather flew Spads and Nieuports in the First World War.
My uncle was a tail gunner in a Lancaster, he was killed over Germany.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 10:30:38 AM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 09:08:00 AM »
I served on PBRs in the US Navy for 1 year out of a 4 year enlistment.
My Dad jumped into Normandy with the 101st Airborne Division and was with the Occupation Forces after the War.
My Great Uncle flew with 23 Squadron RAF, 1917-1918.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline oldalbie

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 11:07:37 AM »
My dad was in the USN and served on Guadalcanal and New Britain where he was wounded.  My younger brother as in the US Army in the area around Saigon, and I was in the USN serving with a USMC company in N. "I" Corps.  Bud and I have had a few stories to tell about service in VN.  One of my uncles was lost in the typhoon that hit the fleet during WWII too.

Online rolanddvi

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 01:11:49 PM »
I retired from the US Army as an E-8 (First Sergeant) after 24 1/2 years. 19 years as a Combat Infantryman and 5 1/2 years in logistics. Deployments included Grenada, Bosnia, undisclosed locations in Africa and South America, Desert Storm, and back to Africa to Somalia. Been retired since 2001.

My father served 4 years in the Marines and my son did 4 years in the Navy.

Mike

Offline Medic

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 03:34:35 PM »

It s a strong bond that needs to be remembered and cherished. Keep them coming.
medic :D

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 05:14:36 PM »
9 years flying a desk in the Royal Air Force. (Cartographer)

Grandad (mums side) served in the WWI at the front, he was underage at the time he enlisted.  Sadly he lost his two older brothers during the war one at the Somme the other at Paschendale.

WW2 both granddads were in protected jobs (miners) so couldnt enlist even though my Grandad that fought in WWI tried his hardest he was considered too old.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 05:18:41 PM by kornbeef »
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 09:11:45 PM »
Four and a half years in the British Airborne Forces (3 Para).

Bud - would I have loved to have met your dad.

Utrinque Paratus

Tug

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 11:42:40 PM »
    27 years in the RCAF and another 10 Air Force Reserve. Just over 7700 hours flying time, 3800 hours flying Fighters. Retired almost 20 years ago and worked in the energy sector another 10 years.
   Paternal Grand Father served in the Canadian Expeditionary Force WWI in Europe, was at the big battle of Vimy Ridge. My Father was a career Navy man with 30 years service including 1940-45. Maternal Grand Father served 39-45 in the Royal Canadian Navy as well and my son did 5 years service in the RCN. Several Uncles served as well, one a POW in Germany for 2 years and two landed at Juneau Beach in Normandy and lived through it.
   We are a "Military Family". Hopefully all this service amounts to something and the future holds hope of peace for the next generations........
Cheers,
Lance

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 04:30:44 AM »
Hopefully all this service amounts to something and the future holds hope of peace for the next generations........

Well said, I'm sure it does! :)

As for me, I tried enlisting in the Navy, but was turned down by the psychologist because I was deemed too individualistic and would not fit the mould, so to speak. :)

Jeroen

PS And really far away, according to the family tree, my ancestor was a Swiss mercenary in the 1600s.

WarrenD

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 01:44:35 PM »
I spent a little over six years as an 11B and 19E (mechanized infantry and armor crewman) in the Ala & KY ARNG in the late 80's/early 90's. My dad was a PTO vet, had an Army serial #, a USN mailing address, and wore USMC dungarees. He was assigned to the 1st Marine Division Hdqtrs as an intel NCO, and made the assault on Peleliu, about 100 m down the beach from Eugene Sledge (With the Old Breed). His brother, my uncle, was a platoon sgt. of a heavy weapons co. and fought through New Guinea, and was KIA on Mapia Island. My great-grandfather, gr-great uncle, gr-great grandfather, and numerous gr-great uncles fought for the Army of Northern Virginia, Army of Tennessee, and Army of Mississippi during the ACW. I had a number of ancestors fight as rebels during the American Revolution, and had a couple of ancestors in the F&I War, one being tasked with "ranging the Cherokee frontier". (And if your blood doesn't run cold with that last one, well . . . . .)

I am a direct descendant of a Templar Knight killed at the "Battle of the Horns"/Hattin.

FWIW,

Warren

Offline Medic

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 04:39:02 PM »

Wow Warren that's extrodinary and quite a historical timeline. It also covers pretty much most of my military libarary.
Medic ;D

WarrenD

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 10:27:27 PM »
Well, others started listing what their fathers and grandfathers did, and rightly so, they should always be remembered. As long as we remember them, they live on, at least that's my philosophy.

Warren

Offline Medic

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 07:18:40 PM »
Very true Warren, I couldn't agree more and only hope my boys do the same for me
medic ;D

Offline timpivonka

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 02:26:18 AM »
I did 21 years as an United States Army Dental officer.  Board certified in Comprehensive Dentistry.  That means I have training in all the subspecialties of Dentistry.  Spent my first six years in field units (197th Inf Bde. as Bde surgeon, 2nd ID, and 18 months as Division Dental Surgeon of the Big Red One).  All of this during peacetime 84-90.  I served as project officer for Dental clinic construction at Camp Page, ROK and the clinic at the winter warfare fighting school at Ft. McCoy, WI.  Retired in 2005 after my third unaccompanied tour in Korea.  (I was there in three different decades, 87-88, 96-97, 03-04).  My grandfather was in the 1st Aero Squadron in WW1, my dad was in Intelligence in WW2 and my uncle was with the Marine Raiders in WW2.  My father-in-law was a primary flight instructor for Naval aviators in WW2.  Since I retired, I have started two community health dental clinics serving the underserved and am currently the Director of one of the largest community health dental clinics in the state of KS.  I also still see active duty army as they refer some patients from Ft. Riley.  My main modelling interests are WW1 and I also build flying scale rubber and CO2 powered models.  Dr.   Tim Pivonka, COL (Ret.)