Author Topic: German Seat Belts Colors: Plus Fokker F1 seat Question  (Read 2914 times)

Offline RAGIII

German Seat Belts Colors: Plus Fokker F1 seat Question
« on: October 03, 2016, 09:24:15 AM »
I thought this was discussed before but couldn't turn up anything using the search engine. So. Looking at photos in GvW Fokker DR1 Jadgestafeln book I noticed that the belts often look dark in photos. Initial thoughts were Ortho film making a yellowish belt look dark. I found however that in photos of crashed Dr1s that the belts looked dark and the CDL interior light. Any thoughts on the color of these dark German seat belts? A WAG is OK  ::)

Also the Fokker DR1/F1 seat was aluminum covered in fabric. Now I assume this was often covered with leather in the field. Any Wild guesses as to the fabric color if not covered in leather? Would it be left in CDL? Doped green?
 :-\
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline dr 1 ace

Re: German Seat Belts Colors: Plus Fokker F1 seat Question
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 09:35:18 AM »
The Knowlton Fokker has original "CDL" belts but for my Dr-I s I've always used a khaki/brown color.  As for the seats your WAG as good as any ones,  for mine- left them alum with a brown leather seat cushion.

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 09:46:38 AM »
The Knowlton Fokker has original "CDL" belts but for my Dr-I s I've always used a khaki/brown color.  As for the seats your WAG as good as any ones,  for mine- left them alum with a brown leather seat cushion.

Ed

Thanks Amigo!
RAGIII

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 07:26:12 PM »
Hi Rick,

There seem to be a variety of colours of seatbelts used.

Here is the strap on the seat on the original Aviatik Berg at the Techniks museum Vienna.

Here is a seatbelt ( different design)  with other artefacts in the Museum of Flight, Seattle:

Here is MvR's Fok Dr.1 seat from 425/17.

There are only a few small scraps of the covering still attached to the seat. When I saw it, there was a very small piece showing the black leather material which was originally on the seat. You can just make it out on the picture. Of course this was a later aircraft, but it may be the case that they used the same method on the earlier seats. As the truth will most likely never be known, you have some artistic licence. Hope this is of some help?

Finally, this darker seat belt appears on the Aeroconservancy website:

http://www.aeroconservancy.com/seatbelt.htm
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 07:39:19 PM by Dave in Dubai »

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 12:10:24 AM »
It seems to vary as stated before. I've seen various shades of beige and tan to brown  and grayish brown as well as greenish brown etc. I spose decide on your seat color then pick a nice contrasting shade.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 12:19:09 AM »
Thanks guys for the responses! I think I am going with a CDL seat and a PC 10ish belt  ::)
RAGIII