Author Topic: Question re Fokker F1 103/17: No not the color of the cowl !  (Read 2142 times)

Offline RAGIII

Question re Fokker F1 103/17: No not the color of the cowl !
« on: September 25, 2016, 05:51:53 AM »
I have been looking at Greg Van Wyngardens Fokker Jadgstaffeln book. I noticed that in the rear view photo of F1 103/17 that I could see NO SIGN of the Spar Inspection Panel. Further research showed no sign of this panel on the Jasta 11 Triplane from the initial production batch thought to be Dr1 114/17. So was the inspection panel added to the DR1 due to the wing failures and therefore absent on F1 103/17?
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Question re Fokker F1 103/17: No not the color of the cowl !
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 08:41:18 AM »
Rick,
   I took a quick look at my copy of Paul Leaman's book, Fokker Dr.1 Triplane, and couldn't find a definitive answer to your question. Harry Dempsey's colour 3 View of 103/17 shows the inspection panel FWIW. This book is chock full of great photos; the earliest machine I could see a panel on is 127/17. The Construction section has a "Key Reference" to it but does not mention anything about when or on which aircraft it was installed however (my) logic indicates it would have been added when the Tripes were grounded and the upper wings shipped back to the factory for modifications to solve the structural failure problems. The panel was intended to "allow sight of stenciling on the main spar giving details of the date of the wings construction and the work's serial number" according to the drawing's legend.
    An absolutely great book BTW!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 02:00:44 PM »
Hmmmm I shall have to check me refs. I haven't modeled this scheme so it hasn't occurred to me.

WarrenD

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 11:40:46 PM »
OK, I'm going to have to look too.

Warren

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 04:07:02 AM »
Rick,
   I took a quick look at my copy of Paul Leaman's book, Fokker Dr.1 Triplane, and couldn't find a definitive answer to your question. Harry Dempsey's colour 3 View of 103/17 shows the inspection panel FWIW. This book is chock full of great photos; the earliest machine I could see a panel on is 127/17. The Construction section has a "Key Reference" to it but does not mention anything about when or on which aircraft it was installed however (my) logic indicates it would have been added when the Tripes were grounded and the upper wings shipped back to the factory for modifications to solve the structural failure problems. The panel was intended to "allow sight of stenciling on the main spar giving details of the date of the wings construction and the work's serial number" according to the drawing's legend.
    An absolutely great book BTW!
Cheers,
Lance

Thanks for checking Lance. Gregs book is the only DR1 reference that I have found the photo in showing the rear view and upper wing. The crash photo of 114/17 is pretty clear and I am 99% certain the panel is not present. Barring any definitive proof I am going to leave it off of my model. There is still time on my build to change my mind if anyone turns up conflicting info.
RAGIII

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 04:08:08 AM »
Hmmmm I shall have to check me refs. I haven't modeled this scheme so it hasn't occurred to me.

I appreciate you taking a look.
RAGIII
OK, I'm going to have to look too.

Warren

Thanks Warren.
RAGIII

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 05:28:47 AM »
Rick,
    I have the Van Wyngarden book as well and agree, there is no inspection window that I can discern. In the Leaman book there is a photo of 10217 from a near identical angle with MvR and Gen. von Lossberg (top of page 47), and no inspection window that I can see. Based on these photos I`d say you are correct, it wasn`t there on these first two put into service.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 06:07:01 AM »
Rick,
    I have the Van Wyngarden book as well and agree, there is no inspection window that I can discern. In the Leaman book there is a photo of 10217 from a near identical angle with MvR and Gen. von Lossberg (top of page 47), and no inspection window that I can see. Based on these photos I`d say you are correct, it wasn`t there on these first two put into service.
Cheers,
Lance

Thanks again Lance Seeing as how Roden misrepresented the location and shape/size of this panel on their kit it makes my life easier. Just sand off the raised detail!
RAGIII

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 04:30:00 PM »
Loving the detective work, MEN!
 :)

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 11:59:32 PM »
Excellent research, chaps :)

Loving the detective work, MEN!
 :)

vB

Thanks guys although there is always the possibility we are re inventing the wheel  ::)
RAGIII