Author Topic: Albatros D.V, Jasta 4 from Volume Two, 1/32  (Read 2047 times)

Offline Wodehouse

Albatros D.V, Jasta 4 from Volume Two, 1/32
« on: September 14, 2016, 08:52:54 AM »
Hi all.

I purchased a WNW Albatros D.Va (OAW) that I'm retro-converting back to a D.V.  The particular plane I'm going to render is #6 on Pheon's Albatros D.V & Va Volume Two set, with the polka dots. 

I have a question about lozenge though.  On the illustration accompanying the Pheon decal set it has an above-the-plane view with two cutaway sections of lower wing - underside and topside, both starboard.  While I saw in the booklet that we should use the illustrations as a "broad brush" guide and be wary of their historical accuracy for any particular plane, the fact is that I can find no picture of this plane that clearly shows the wing lozenge at all, so I'll probably indeed use it as a guide for lozenge orientation if it's a plausible scheme.

Now, the questions:  In the illustration it shows the lower wing lozenge spanwise, as if the entire cord of lozenge were simply rolled along its length.  I can't find a photo online of this particular plane illustration, but I found one of a different plane that has exactly the same lower wing cutaways with exactly the same orientation (see image).

1.  Did they do this, instead of laying it out in sections cordwise, as on the bigger section of wing?
2.  If yes, does the port side simply repeat the pattern in the same direction, or does it get turned 180º or something?

Thanks!

Offline Russell

Re: Albatros D.V, Jasta 4 from Volume Two, 1/32
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 09:05:57 AM »
The port side lower wing top is the same as the starboard wing top. The illustration is just using the reversed port wing to show the underside.

Regards
Russell

Offline Wodehouse

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 09:26:02 AM »
Okay, thanks so much for the fast reply. 

Just to be clear:  It goes on in the same direction and orientation then across both lower wings, spanwise, and contiguous fabric both upper and lower.

I guess the thing that confused me was another Pheon illustration I saw where the port side looked like a mirror image of the starboard pattern, admittedly from another aircraft (again, see image).  But of course I'm not sure how that would be possible even if it were placed 180º.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 11:36:39 PM »
Just a note here. I had a lot of discussion with Rowan, Greg Van Wyngarden, and others when I was doing this scheme. WNW posted photos that were unavailable when Rowan did this sheet, and Greg did his book. The general thoughts that resulted were thus:
1. The original thought by GvW was that the Albatros Fighters would have been delivered in batches and since the aircraft to the left of Polka Dots had Lozenge on the uppers it made sense that Polka Dots would also.
2. WNW photos showed undersurfaces that showed what clearly looks like standard light blue undersurfaces.
3. Another DV in the Line up has clearly Lilac and green on the uppers eliminating the small batch thus the same covering theory.
4. No photo clearly shows Lozenge on the upper or lowers of Polka Dots.

The conclusion was that one could do any of the following :
1. Lozenge on both wing surfaces as depicted.
2. Lozenge on top and blue on the bottom.
3. Green and lilac uppers, blue unders. ( My Choice as well as Richard at WNW) Now we can discuss the tail color  8)

So don't get too hung up on orientation.
RAGIII

PS: this link should get you to photos of my build and a link to where the original conversations took place.

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=640.15

PPS: IIRC Rowan felt that there was Lozenge AT LEAST on the uppers if not all surfaces after the discussions  ;D

« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 11:52:58 PM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Wodehouse

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 01:09:06 AM »
Thanks RAG.  Your Albatros is a stunner and no mistake!  I saw it already while fishing around on google and WNW about different D.V & Va schemes, and your build was actually the inspiration for me doing this particular scheme.

I've looked at the WNW archive photos now, where even in the caption it says it's painted blue.  This was one of the two photos I've seen of this aircraft and I'm not sure what to think.  The underside of von Doring's plane looks monotone too on the starboard side, and light may be at play here on both.  I may just do the lozenge anyway since I've already ordered the Aviattic decals and think they are too sweet not to use! But I have some time; I'm still fumbling around in the cockpit.

I do hope my initial post was clear.  I'm not sure Russell quite understood what I was asking.  I wasn't asking if the port side uses the bottom lozenge on the top of the wing (hence my referring to both lower wing cutaways as starboard), but rather if it was common practice to use a single piece of fabric across the length of each lower wing as it's depicted in the illustration, and if so, whether the direction continues the same on the port side that isn't shown in Pheon's illustration.

I am interested to hear what you have to say about tail colour though.  One thing that struck me about the front view photo was that the wheel cover looks to me to have some sort of 3-way flower petal pattern (presumably in white) - but again, it may be a play of light.