Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 1183 Oblt.z.S. Christiansen  (Read 36786 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Wingnut Wings Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 1183 Oblt.z.S. Christiansen
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 07:21:09 AM »
   Finally, some real progress to log. Seems bench time is difficult to find this time of the year.
   The inside framing and interior module is complete. The various wood portions were done with an acrylic wood base coat and the grain effect with Winsor Newton Raw Sienna vs. my usual Burnt Sienna Oil, lighter then my previous efforts. They then received a very light coat of Tamiya Clear Yellow followed by a sealing coat of Vallejo Satin Polyurethane Varnish. Details were picked out with both enamels and acrylics.
   My apologies for the out of focus photo which I just noticed, but the details follow.

The Instructions called for Semi gloss white on the upper portions of the interior fuselage however I used a slightly "Buff" off white, the inside of the engine cowlings portion was masked off and done with Alclad II Dull Aluminum.

I modified HGW Belts from the HB.29 Set I had on hand as it had belts for two models. The Wingnut instructions were a bit vague on placement and connections so I added eyelets to the terminal springs to attach them. The one longer belt, second from left, ended up with the spring effect on the wrong side however is not visible once installed so was left as is.

The belts were installed and then "dirtied" up a little with mid brown dry pastels.

The Instrument panel was completed using Aeroclub Bezels, some scrap PE Fuel Selector Levers and Future for the glass faces.

The cockpit detailing on this Kit is excellent, I added only a few items like the line from the Manual Fuel Pressure Pump and a set of clamps made from lead shrink seal on a Malt Scotch Whisky Bottle......... need to get another as I'm running out of shrink seal again!

The flight control cables were then all rigged in using Modelkasten elastic thread, a very long and "fiddley" task which had to be done after assembly of the module. The tweezers and Optivisor got intense workouts but after an afternoon of eyestrain and lingual gymnastics the plan came together with excellent results!

The control cables were painted with Mr Metal Color Stainless.

Here's a few detail shots of the completed cockpits:

The Instrument Panel is shown "posed" here as the engine bearer frame platform it is attached to won't be installed until the fuselage is closed.

This last photo was taken without the Instrument Panel in place, thus the nasty scraped frame members on the attachment locations.

Next comes the engine which I hope to start working on tomorrow. Thus far I'm very impressed with the fit of this Kit, another engineering marvel from Wingnut Wings!

Cheers,
Lance

« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 06:25:32 AM by lcarroll »

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2016, 03:52:36 PM »
Thanks for sharing,Lance!
Very impressive build. The dashboard looks terrific and the light wood is very convincing. Top seatbelts. It is just sad that all the details will disappear in the fuselage and are covered by the upper wing. The more important are the fotos you have taken.
Bye,Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2016, 01:12:42 AM »
   Thanks Manni, you are right though, most of this can't be seen once she's together, but as we always say, "I know it's there"!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2016, 03:21:30 AM »
Not had much time? What speed do you work at?

That is a tremendously well detailed interior Lance - what a pity that it will not be visible when the model is complete. Any chance that you could leave a side panel off so that the interior could be seen?

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2016, 04:09:13 AM »
Lance,
As always your interior looks awesome! Lovely wood grain, instrument panel, and interior rigging. The belts are terrific as well!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline zavod44

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2016, 04:48:25 AM »
Hey can you expand on the colors you used for the wood grain?  I love the color of that and I would love to try to get that look......

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2016, 06:15:05 AM »
  Thanks Guys, much appreciated!
Stephen,
    I plan to pose both Pilot Cockpit doors open/down and with the rear cockpit less hidden by the upper wing hopefully a reasonable amount of detail will show.

Zavod,
    Here's the formula I use and a correction to my earlier statement on the wood work:
   I mix 1 part Tamiya Acrylic XF-55 Deck Tan, 1 part XF-59 Desert Yellow, and 1.5 parts X-2 White. I airbrush it at about 40% thinned with their Lacquer Thinner and that is the "wood base".
    For grain streaking I use Winsor Newton Artist's Oils (Winton Oil Colour on the tube) #2 Burnt Sienna for a darker and more reddish shade or, on this build #34 Raw Sienna for a more golden and lighter shade. I mix a bit of Winsor Newton's "Liquin" into the oils to speed up the drying; it usually is dry enough to over coat after 24 hours.
    I normally use a top coat of Tamiya  X-26 Clear Orange on the darker version and on this Build I used X-24 Clear Yellow as I was after a lighter shade. I 'll correct my opening comments about Clear Orange earlier in the Thread.
   Hope this works for you!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2016, 06:28:13 AM »
Exceptional work on the interior Lance, the instrument panel is top rate as are all the other details, your wood effect is brilliant.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Monty

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2016, 06:48:49 AM »
Very nice indeed! I do love the cockpit detailing! Well done! Marc.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2016, 07:10:51 AM »
Des and Marc,
     Thanks for looking and for your very much appreciated comments.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline zavod44

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2016, 04:46:37 AM »
Fantastic! Thank you very much....now keep going!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2016, 06:04:33 AM »
Glad to help Zavod, I'm still making progress albeit vey slowly. Photos of that pesky upper wing filling and sanding trick soon......
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Borsos

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2016, 07:48:17 AM »
What a beautifull interior, it's good that you are back on this (although your Nieuport was worth the break!). Can you tell us what kind of diorama you're planning?
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2016, 09:41:22 AM »
Nice one Lance  ;)

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2016, 12:25:25 PM »
Thank you Guy.
Borsos, it will be very basic. I've no experience with figures so planned to do a base as part of the Zeebrugge upper pier with cobble stones, a rail track section and the aircraft on it's trolley. I also have the Aviattic refuelling tank to add and will hopefully add a bit more to the scene. Very basic as this is my very first effort at a Diorama.
Cheers,
Lance