Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 1183 Oblt.z.S. Christiansen  (Read 36785 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Wingnut Wings Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 1183 Oblt.z.S. Christiansen
« on: September 06, 2016, 06:34:02 AM »
    This will be the basis for my entry in the Diorama Group Build. I started cleaning up the parts for the interior yesterday to fill time while awaiting After Market items ordered for another Build already underway but now delayed.
    I chose Christiansen's W.12 as the subject mostly due to his status as one of the top scorers on the German Navy's Ace list and his impressive war service as leader of the Zeebrugge Sea Plane Group.

I have three excellent reference publications for this Build: Jack Herris's excellent Aeronaut Books Publication, Osprey's Naval Aces of WWI Vol. 2, and the indispensable Datafile on the Aircraft.

For markings I have Rowan's excellent Pheon Decal Set 32056 and, not illustrated, his generous free follow up correction logo for Christiansen's aircraft. The Kit Lozenge will be replaced by the much preferred Aviattic Naval Hex Printed Linen product. I am a great fan of both of these lines of products and believe our group should support them as much as possible, they bring a great deal to our Hobby. In both cases I've included the photo for illustration purposes only.

Finally I'll be using HGW Seat Belts and the Gas Patch Parabellum Gun for the Observer station. Czech Master Spandaus from a previous stock will be used for the twin forward firing LMG 08's provided on this C3MG version of the Early HB W.12. Most of these items are still "in the mail".
       With numerous outstanding Build Logs for this aircraft already published here there should be no lack of great information and inspiration to draw on for this Build. I have some other items on order to turn this into a, albeit limited scope, Diorama, my first attempt and I look forward to the experience.
    Next update will be on the cockpit module with the Benz engine to follow.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

Re: Wingnut Wings Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 1183 Oblt.z.S. Christiansen
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 07:34:50 AM »
Lance,
 I am really looking forward to seeing you build this one! Should be a Treat!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline jknaus

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 08:33:16 AM »
I have an evil grin right now Lance lol. Will watch this build with great interest.
James

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 08:54:32 AM »
This build will be a treat to follow, I'm eagerly awaiting the first progress photos.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 11:33:09 AM »
    Well Rick, as I say often, there's no lack of entertainment when Mr. Bean builds a Model Airplane; I'm sure I can manufacture enough crises to keep the "treat and entertainment index" pegged well to the right of the scale! ::)   
    James, you sure read the signs right; as soon as you said I'd be into it up to my knees....... I was indeed!
    Des, a "float" aircraft several Group Builds late but hopefully fitting the theme for this one.
    I managed to get the wood base coat on since the previous post, hopefully get some oil woodgrain on tomorrow. I was actually surprised at the amount of flash and seams on the sprues, much more then the average on a Wingnut Kit but still much better then other brands.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 03:29:27 PM »
Ahh, this will be very interesting. Looking forward to your next steps. I know this will be a terrific build.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 11:27:04 PM »
Thanks Manni. I've had a minor set back, applied my wood base by brush and I really don't like the results so I'm going to strip the parts and use the air brush, only a one day delay in progress. This is a lesson I've learned more then once, you'd think I'd learn! :-\ :-[
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 02:00:50 PM »
    Well, that was 3 months ago, and I failed doing a dual Build! I completed the Nieuport 17, and now have dusted this one off and hopefully will complete it before the Group Build deadline! I've been working on the cockpit interior the past several days, what a transition from Hobbycraft back to Wingnut Wings! I'll post an update when the cockpit module is completed, so far a very impressive Kit...........no surprise there!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 07:51:34 PM »

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 12:09:22 AM »
Looking forward to another masterpiece from you Lance.  Best of luck.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 12:39:54 AM »
Juan,
   Thanks for the good wishes!
von Buckle,
   LMAO!! How did you get them to sit still long enough for the photo......?? ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 03:07:39 AM »
Missed this first time round Lance - really glad I caught it this time. My contribution was also a first attempt at a diorama - I am sure that yours will be a great deal more  interesting not least because of the subject.

PS Bob did not know it at the time but I was the ginger one on the left in the photo!

Stephen.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 04:48:30 AM »
Looking forward to this one, Lance!  Doing the very same plane, but have her on pause at the moment due to having melted the floats.  This just might be the inspiration I need to get back on it.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 05:54:26 AM »
........ have her on pause at the moment due to having melted the floats.

Oh no Bud  :o :o :o

Looking forwards to your approach on this Lance - have one in the stash but it will be along time before it'sat the top o' the pile  ;)

Good luck with the remaining work

Tug

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2016, 06:12:08 AM »
Stephen,
    I thought there was something familiar there.........

Bud,
    Yet more convincing reason for me to stay away from the hair dryer method! Those float decals have me nervous, there's probably not enough Microsol in the "Free World" for those little devils. I suspect there'll be more then a modicum of drama here when I get to that step! :o ::) Were you able to order replacements??

Tug,
     Thanks, I may need a little dose of luck given the float comments above!

Meanwhile nothing accomplished today as real life tasks provide an obstacle between Builder and Workbench here! :(
Cheers,
Lance