Author Topic: Drawings  (Read 3619 times)

Offline spadhead

Drawings
« on: September 02, 2012, 09:37:48 AM »
Hi everybody
I'm very new to the site, and am still finding my way around.  When I saw this section of the Forum, I thought that here's an area I might be able to contribute to sooner rather than later! Although it's been years since I made any models, I did become a semi-professional artist and some of my commissions were aviation based.  I've attached a couple of my drawings for you to see.  Although they're WW2 subjects, I could easily do the same sort of thing with WW1 topics - I'd just need good quality reference material.  Having seen the standard of work you guys are producing, I think I might be more on a par with you with my drawing- rather than model-making skills! Let me know if you like them, and I'll post a few more

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: Drawings
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 10:49:17 AM »
  Alex,
Outstanding artwork my friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 05:33:23 PM »
Excellent drawings Alex, and yes please, I would love to see more of your outstanding work.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 04:00:43 AM »
Very well done. Keep posting!!!

Steve

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 05:50:21 AM »
Superb drawing skills, Alex -

I wish I could draw like you!

Regards

Dave

As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 10:32:34 PM »
Very, very nice. With artistic ability like this, I look forward to seeing you transfer this gift to the models we're going to encourage you to build!  ;D

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline spadhead

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 03:36:03 AM »
Thanks everyone for the compliments - I'm glad you like my work.  And I agree Chris, it seems logical that I should be able to transfer my skills to model making.......
I think my apprehension boils down to how easy is it to rectify mistakes!  In drawing, I can make a lot of mistakes (I have and still do!) and can rub it all out and start again if necessary.  From past experience, model making isn't quite so forgiving. I think it also boils down to confidence - confidence not just in your ability, but in your materials and tools: knowing what can and can't be done and which techniques and methods will solve which problems.  I have that when it comes to pencils, crayons and paint - I know exactly how to achieve what -  but I don't have it when it comes to working in 3D. From what I've seen, I've got an awful lot of learning to do in that regard!  Having said that, I'm reasonably confident that in time I might just get there.  I've already spent quite a bit of time looking at members' posts, and I have to say that this website and forum - in particular the build logs - are so packed with information and so helpful, I'm spending hours looking at stuff.  Well done Des and everybody for getting it together - a brilliant job in such a short space of time.

Offline GHE

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 03:39:49 AM »
Wow !

I especially like drawings and  paintings of scenes very much and often they do give a more intimate feeling of the situation
than a photography.
Especially when it comes to situations where no one dares to take a frame due to the luring dangers.
Airplanes are often captured very very good by drawings and paintings !
You do not have to do a full plane, just a section - and this will stirr your imagination and in front of your inner eye a whole
little storie evolves!

bizz bald*, Gunther

* it should not be translated as "business without hair of the head" :)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 08:32:53 PM by GHE »
LZeppelin rocks!

WarrenD

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 01:40:35 AM »
Great stuff!!!

Warren

Offline spadhead

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 06:45:11 AM »
Glad you like my work.  Do have a look at my other thread if you haven't already - "Better Quality Drawings" - where there's a link to better quality images

Alex