Author Topic: 1:32 Scale Academy Sopwith Camel  (Read 2511 times)

Offline otterine

• otterine's miniatures
1:32 Scale Academy Sopwith Camel
« on: September 02, 2012, 08:49:22 AM »
I build 1:12 scale dollhouses as a main hobby and belong to a forum that holds a kit build contest every year.  We all build the same kit and can do whatever we want with that kit.  This year, my idea called for a WWI airplane replica, and I chose the 1:32 scale Academy Sopwith Camel.  I can't reveal the whole build just yet since I haven't published it yet, but I will be doing so sometime this weekend.

But, I have published the Sopwith Camel build.  I did very few modifications, using the base kit as is but put my painting and aging expertise to work.  The shiny red nose turned out so well, I couldn't bring myself to age it or dirty it in any way.  I did the same wood grain finish on the interior walls, floor and dash based on the various models I had seen other modelers build.    I used black and brown acrylic washes to tone down the shiny new finishes.  The instruments were first painted with a toothpick to fill in the black background.  I then used a sewing pin to paint the instrument details using Liquitex Iridescent Bronze acrylic paint.

I had read that the guns were molded upside down in this kit, but with my shortened build timeline and the fact that I really didn't want to start deconstructing parts, I used the guns as is.  My model wouldn't be the most accurate besides, and it would have been a lot of work for a minor payoff.

For the rigging, I basically used the kit method, though I used black "transparent" thread instead of the kit supplied black fiber thread.  I also waited until after the plane was assembled to add the lines.  I didn't see how you could add the lines during the body assembly, then keep them out of the way and clean during the painting process.  This meant a bit more headache in the end, but it worked out well.

I mostly just used super glue gel to hold the wires in place in the predrilled kit holes.  For the ones in the body, I cut small lengths of brass wire and slipped them into the holes with the wires.  This plugged the hole and held the wire more securely. I dabbed black paint on them later to remove the obvious brass shine.

I made one substitution during the rigging process.  There was supposed to be a straight wire from the bottom of the plane running perpendicular to the wheel assembly.  I knew there would be no way to get the tension correct, so I used a cut off head pin.  It doesn't look like a substitution at first glance and it added stability to wheels besides.

The decals were not the easiest things to deal with, and I admit to being out of practice using them.  But, the end result was pretty good and this was meant to be a weathered replica, so any imperfections actually worked to my advantage.  I followed most of the recommended placements and others I made up from the available decals...like the triangle with a logo in it.

The sign verbiage is taken from the Wikipedia article on the Sopwith Camel.  I printed it on paper, pasted it onto a primed wood scrap and staked it into the ground with some wire.

I'm not sure if the image attachments will work, but you can see more of my build here: http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/1-32-scale-academy-sopwith

I am in love with my Sopwith Camel!!!!  :D

Regards,
Brae

Offline otterine

• otterine's miniatures
Re: 1:32 Scale Academy Sopwith Camel
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 08:50:20 AM »
More...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 08:52:00 AM by otterine »

Offline otterine

• otterine's miniatures
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 08:51:22 AM »
and more...

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »
Very nicely done Brae, it is a very attractive looking model and your build log is excellent. Having built this model not long ago I can appreciate the efforts you have put into it, well done.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline otterine

• otterine's miniatures
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 10:34:56 AM »
Thank you so much!  It was just the right amount of challenge for me.

Brae

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 10:47:11 AM »
   Brae,
Well done my friend. She looks wonderful and well build and painted.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 07:26:04 PM »
Looks great, Brae,
Well done!  ;)

BVB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 10:26:58 PM »
Absolutely brilliant, Brae!  Truly superb painting and weathering.  To look at her, I'd swear you had been building WWI model aeroplane's all your life.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline otterine

• otterine's miniatures
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 10:45:01 PM »
Thank you all so much!  Your compliments mean the world to me!   :D

Regards,
Brae

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 11:21:02 PM »
Brae,

Echo what others have said - good one!!

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 10:13:29 AM »
Brae,
   Very nice, and you say you're a beginner!!?! Let's see more soon.
Cheers and again, welcome,
Lance

Offline otterine

• otterine's miniatures
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 10:17:15 AM »
Thank you, thank you!  Yes, this was my first airplane and first biplane.  :D

Regards,
Brae

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 04:50:03 PM »
I'll echo the others, Brae.  What's your next one going to be?   :)

Dal.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 10:35:52 PM »
Your first aircraft model? Well done indeed!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline otterine

• otterine's miniatures
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 11:34:42 PM »
Thank you!  I've posted my full build in the dioramas section.

Regards,
Brae