Author Topic: Bogged down on the Western Front  (Read 8239 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Bogged down on the Western Front
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 09:33:18 AM »
Looking really good David, love the mud effect and the horse is excellent, you have also done a great job with the car, looking forward to seeing the next update on this 'different' diorama.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2016, 11:00:08 AM »
Here is my completed WW1 GB diorama "Bogged Down on the Western Front".

This has been a very enjoyable project and I've learnt a lot about telling a story through models.

The centrepiece is an Airfix 1/32 Prince Henry Vauxhall in the role of a staff car bogged in the mud being pulled free by a horse. The scene is a blend of 1/32 and 1/35 items but the scale difference is insignificant to my eyes.

The horse is from a Masterbox set, the sergeant leading the horse is also Masterbox while the poor driver trying to shove the car free is an ICM figure converted. The Major idly standing by and doing nothing but look is a Brian Fawcett figure.

The detail items in the car are a mix of kit bits and DIY. The bincoulars, bags. helmet, shovel, .303 rifle and pistol are all from Masterbox and Italeri detail sets. The genuine WW1 newspaper and map of the Western Front are real items, downloaded from Google and scaled down for the home printer. They help tell the story.

The mud effect is plaster of paris painted with appropriate shades of mud colour and highlighted with Tamiya mud weathering compound.

Special thanks to Des for organising this GB which has re-energised my modelling.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2016, 12:40:42 PM »
Very cool, Dave!  I love it!  Very imaginative and beautifully executed.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline IanB

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2016, 12:50:59 PM »
Very nicely done, and a refreshingly different subject!

Ian

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2016, 12:59:54 PM »
   One of a kind Dave and beautifully done! The numerous extras in the vehicle really add a lot to the scene,  and the theme as well. A unique subject and you've really done a lovely job of it.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Edo

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2016, 03:02:20 PM »
hey Dave! I completely agree with all tha above!
You had a great idea and succeded in developing it into a perfect scene!
All the stuff in the car make it really come to life.
very well done!
ciao
edo

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2016, 06:41:35 PM »
Congratulations Dave on pulling this off, your initial idea has been turned into reality and it looks splendid. All aspects of this diorama have their own story to tell but I particularly love all the small accessories you piled into the vehicle, these extras have brought the whole scene to life, very well done.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2016, 04:46:08 AM »
I agree with all that has been written. A very original topic, well executed and all those extra details really give it a different feel. Finding that photo was obviously a good start but to turn that into a full model has taken some real skill. Very well done.

Stephen.

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2016, 08:35:11 PM »
At first I have to say, that I like your idea and the way you present the scene.
There are some points, I would like to give you some constructive criticism.
The car: Take a toothbrush or a stiff brush and put some earth coloured pigments, mixed with glos varnish and sprinkle the mixture at the back of the car and the fenders to make it look more dirty.
The mud: Add some gloss varnish or vallejo still water mixed with a tiny bit of brown colour into the dulls (sinks) of the mud to imitate some water.
Add a bit sieved garden earth to the mud to give it some struckture (here again with some pigments and some white glue)
It will give more variety to the groundwork and make it more interesting to your eye.
I hope you are now not sad or angry for my comment, but I think it will help to make your great scene look even more realistic.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2016, 09:31:25 PM »
Outstanding composition and the results are awesome!  Like all of the others I think the extras really help bring the scene to life.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2016, 09:20:58 AM »
Many thanks to those who have provided feedback on my GB diorama.

Manni- I actually did quite a bit of research on the mud of the Western Front and found via contemporary photos that it was not always glistening with pools of water. The diorama has sufficient 'shine' to depict boggy terrain, but this may not show in the photos posted. I wanted the diorama to be stark, not filled with distractions and generally reflect a mid winter look, but overall to be minimal and not over dressed.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com