Author Topic: Rigging colors  (Read 1251 times)

Offline GazzaS

Rigging colors
« on: August 08, 2016, 11:12:52 AM »
Back in 1988 I stood before an Albatross D. V taking pictures and angering a museum staffer because my feet had ventured in a no-go area as I was trying to get some useful close-ups with a crappy disposable camera.

Long since lost the photos, but it seems to my feeble memory that the turnbuckles were brass.  Now, finally venturing into the realm of WWI aircraft, I have minutiae to consider.  Are the rigging wires coated?  Painted?  Dull grey galvanized?  Did it differ between nations?  Between manufacturers?

I'm building a Rolland C.II in 1/48 scale.  Gonna use white EZ line for the rigging and gonna try to simulate the turnbuckles with thinned PVA.  I'll paint the EZ line.  Usually paint it silver on WWII aircraft as I see no reason to ad paint or thickness to the genuine article.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best Wishes,

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Online Dave Brewer

Re: Rigging colors
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 12:13:37 PM »
Gaz,my go to references for this sort of information are Jamo's posts of TVAL aircraft,and the following Flickr album of a gentleman named Jim Landon which I found a while back via Google:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/landoni/sets/72157604984202028/detail/?page=3

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 10:49:52 PM »
Dave,
    The Landon Album is a wealth of info, Thanks for sharing!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 03:17:57 AM »
I paint turnbuckles brass then a grime wash of thinned tamiya smoke with dark brown added .then rigging gunmetal color

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 07:27:24 PM »
Guys,
     Thank you for the useful answers and link.  Atuff makes me wish I had the space and time for large scratch builds.
Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 07:35:14 PM »
I paint my rigging wires with Mr. Metal Color Stainless, it goes on as a metalic grey but can be buffed to a nice sheen if required. I make my turnbuckles from brass tube and leave them as their natural colour.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com