Author Topic: WNW Salmson 2A2 with Pheon Decals  (Read 7135 times)

Online RAGIII

WNW Salmson 2A2 with Pheon Decals
« on: August 05, 2016, 07:54:45 AM »
Well I have finally finished this one more or less. As I plan to eventually put this one in a Diorama I kept the weathering to a minimum pending my decision on the overll scene. I was asked to share my thoughts on building this kit so I will oblige.
 As all WNW kits this one is extremely well engineered. Tolerances are tight but not as much as say the Albatros or Pfalz. The detail is awesome as in all WNW kits. I found myself constantly moving back and forth on the directions as it is easy to miss something and or find more/better details a couple of pagers further than I was in construction. I used WNW mixtures for all of the colors and found them to be very satisfactory. I used the "Later" rigging pattern as I felt that was correct, and it eliminated  the need to represent the wood filled and wrapped double lines. WNW does show this rigging variant but one must look hard . I found no major issues with the build that were not SELF created! About those I guess it was because this aircraft is larger than I am used to handling that I found myself constantly running the wing tips into things. In particular my Roden SPAD VII suffered a horrible fate! Another thing was that where I found myself picking the kit up seemed to put my wrist in the perfect position to knock off the tail braces  and rigging! I lost one of the braces at some point before I totally knocked off the tail planes. I replaced it with an airfoil shaped strut of the appropriate size and went on. Later I lost the other! So I made another copy. While weathering I knocked off one of the copies and couldn't find it on the carpet. Lifted up a box and found one of the originals.

So overall my experience and take on this kit is that it is one of WNW best! If you like the Salmson or are inclined to build a USAS bird GET ONE!
RAGIII

« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 05:36:04 PM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: WNW Salmson 2A2 with Pheon Decals
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 08:49:55 AM »
Congratulations Rick and thank you for your build log and now these wonderful photos of your superb model. You have done a remarkable job with the painting on this model, the colours are absolutely brilliant and the rigging is sublime, very well done Rick.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 12:33:27 PM »
    Great summary Rick, and absolutely beautiful Build! Your paint work is truly outstanding and the rigging exceptional. I spent a little time checking out the various joins (The gear struts stand out) and your work is "clean" beyond perfection......... This is a real winner!
Cheers (and congratulations on an outstanding Build)
Lance

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 12:36:02 PM »
 Rick,
Congratulations my old friend. She's an absolute thing of beauty. Fitting tribute to your Master Class skills and craftsmanship. Well Done!
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 01:01:50 PM »
She's truly magnificent, Amigo!  I think she's your best yet.  Remarkable craftsmanship all around.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 02:41:59 PM »
Rick, you have build an outstanding model. Pantjob and rigging looks perfect. Please show us some pics when you put it in a doirama, but I think you can place it on a nice polished wooden base to avoid distraction of this beauty.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 03:45:10 PM »
This is a beautiful kit in every detail and it was a pleasure to follow its building. Absolutely a masterpiece.
Well done.
Giuseppe

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 05:11:18 PM »
Hello Rick,

I completely agree with Bud. This is your best yet! This is a build were all elements are truly magnificent. The build itself, wonderful camo painting and colours, the decaling and the rigging. One of the best Salmsons I have ever seen! Many congratulations my friend!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline ondra

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 07:11:54 PM »
As mentioned on FB already, from my point of view your best build so far. Great job, Rick, and congratulations on finishing this beauty!

Cheers

Ondra

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 08:41:43 PM »
Hello Rick,

I completely agree with Bud. This is your best yet! This is a build were all elements are truly magnificent. The build itself, wonderful camo painting and colours, the decaling and the rigging. One of the best Salmsons I have ever seen! Many congratulations my friend!

Kind regards
Patrick

Rick, I completely agree with our friend Patrick!  Your Salmson is a jewel, my friend!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline dtomko

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 08:57:33 PM »
Really beautiful build, Rick!

Drew

Online RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 12:22:10 AM »
Thanks very much for all of the comments guys! I really enjoyed building this one. Now a few days and a clean up of the desk before moving on with the figures and the next builds!
RAGIII

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2016, 05:14:06 AM »
Lovely one, Rick. Congratulations.
And I confirm, this is a lovely kit (but then, which WNW one is not?), recommended to anybody deliberating which WNW model to build !
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2016, 05:49:32 AM »
Lovely one, Rick. Congratulations.
And I confirm, this is a lovely kit (but then, which WNW one is not?), recommended to anybody deliberating which WNW model to build !

Thanks Przemol!  I had your build bookmarked and referred to it often when building mine!
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2016, 09:21:56 AM »
Haven't commented very much during your build , but that doesn't mean I wasn't following along . I really enjoyed your build Rick . Your skills have sharpened up wonderfully over the years and this build proves that ! Well done my friend  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .