Author Topic: WW I Vehicles  (Read 3111 times)

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
WW I Vehicles
« on: August 27, 2012, 04:38:05 AM »
  Afternoon All,
I read a comment posted elsewhere by Rizzo concerning the conversion of Airfix 1912 Ford Model T to a RFC pick up truck. Although I haven't done the conversion myself it's a relatively simple conversion to do and well worth your time. Some of you are aware of my conversions done with the Airfix 1905 Rolls Royce into a RNAS Ambulance and the Minicraft (Revell Highway Pioneer's) 1906 Renault into a French Airfield truck several years back. Both projects were intended as parts of two Airfield dioramas that most likely will not be completed.

At any rate here's the  two conversions done and I hope they'll give someone the inspiration to try their hand at one of these simple conversions.

The Minicraft 1906 Renault  1/32 scale.   "Ol' Bug Eyes"

The Airfix 1905 Rolls Royce Ambulance 1/32 scale.

As always any and all comments are welcome and appreciated.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 07:35:09 AM by Des »
" What Me Worry"

Offline Carpo

• A gallery of my Models
Re: WW I Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 05:44:34 PM »
Thanks for posting these - I have the Renault and a Model T ready to go. I am practicing on some other models and my first attempt is below.
Currently working on the Packard Tourer, inspired by Des' build.
I am practicing on the US cars prior to tackling the cars which were more likely to have found service in Europe.
I am chasing a Rolls Royce but so far have had no luck in the usual places.
Carpo

The air force will always need technicians because pilots need heroes too.

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 05:50:36 PM »
Beautiful, Gregory.  You've done a great job with these.

Dal.

Offline NP

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 07:40:59 PM »
Nice.  I have the RPM Ford T Ambulance kit in 1/48, your inspirational and informative photos encourage me to have a go at doing something with it soon  :)

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 09:12:29 PM »
This was my attempt at re-jigging the 1906 Renault Town Car as an airfield pick up truck for a diorama.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 01:08:35 AM »
"I am chasing a Rolls Royce but so far have had no luck in the usual places."
   Paul,
Have you looked at Model Empire ? They're listing the Airfix 1905 Rolls Royce for $12.00 and the Lifelike 1909 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost for $24.00. Love your Packard by the way,are there any in progress photos?

Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

LINK:http://www.modelempireusa.com
" What Me Worry"

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 01:17:32 AM »
  Dal,Pete and Nigel,
Thanks fellas for your kindly comments. Very much appreciated.
@Pete    Great to see your superb Renault truck. Absolute First Class work my old friend.
@Nigel    I hope you'll post your Model T Ambulance here when you can. If you need information for the project let me know via PM. I'll collected a number of links that might be useful to you.

Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 01:33:36 AM »
They're all very well done models and I hope to see them incorporated into a diorama at some point in the future. Never say never Gregory!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Rizzo

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 02:43:11 AM »
Fantastic models! I especially like the interior details on that ambulance.

I've been looking for a model of a Crossley, but no luck so far. Anyone know of anything in 1/32?

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 04:56:02 AM »
  Rizzo,
There is the old Airfix kit of the Crosley but it's a 1926 model I believe. Not having the kit I can only assume it maybe possible to back date it for the WW I period. Having said that the kit could be converted into a Staff Car for the pre WW II era though. Thanks very much for your more than kind comment on the Rolls conversion,very much appreciated my friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 04:58:24 AM »
They're all very well done models and I hope to see them incorporated into a diorama at some point in the future. Never say never Gregory!

Cheers,

Chris

Chris,
I wouldn't say never but the chances are very slim anymore.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Pete Nottingham

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 05:28:52 AM »

At any rate here's the  two conversions done and I hope they'll give someone the inspiration to try their hand at one of these simple conversions.

Gregory my friend, you say they are simple, but don't forget that people attempting them must be prepared for a large amount of modification and scratch building, if I remember correctly at least 60% of the Renault Town Car was discarded to be rebuilt and modified.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 09:17:24 AM »
  Pete,
You're correct my old friend and thank you for pointing that out to me. I forget sometimes not everyone's been modeling for fifty years. As you say the modeler should be prepared for scratch building and modification in large amounts. From my point of view even a relatively newbie could work through the process and produce an outstanding conversion though.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

PS: I don't remember how much of actual Renault kit you used either my old friend but 60 % seem about right. I do remember I used far more of my kit than you did. No doubts in my mind that's one of the reasons of which there are several your conversion was far better than my efforts IMHO.
" What Me Worry"

Offline Carpo

• A gallery of my Models
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 05:30:30 PM »
   Paul,
Have you looked at Model Empire ? They're listing the Airfix 1905 Rolls Royce for $12.00 and the Lifelike 1909 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost for $24.00. Love your Packard by the way,are there any in progress photos?

Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

LINK:http://www.modelempireusa.com

Thanks for the lead Gregory, I'll be there in a flash! I don't have many build shots of the Packard - it wasn't anything too special as it is OOB pretty much.

Pete, loverly Renault - I will be back to look at these photos when my own build starts
Carpo
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 05:33:54 PM by Carpo »
The air force will always need technicians because pilots need heroes too.

Offline Pete Nottingham

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 07:10:12 PM »

Pete, loverly Renault - I will be back to look at these photos when my own build starts
Carpo

Your more than welcome Carpo, I also have pics of original Renault trucks that I used for the conversion, which you are more than welcome to have a look at, If I can help in any other way, just ask.

Cheers

Pete.