Author Topic: WNW Hansa Brandenburg W.29 for Beginner?  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Weebeasty32454

WNW Hansa Brandenburg W.29 for Beginner?
« on: July 14, 2016, 07:43:27 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm still trying to decide what would be an appropriate first ww1 subject for me.  I have a few kits that are on the good for beginner list (including Academy's 1:32 Nieuport 17 and the 1:32 Morane Saulnier type N by Special Hobby.)  But I have always been blown away by the WNW Hansa Brandenburg W.29 just about everywhere I've seen it built.  So if you give me a typical non-stressful Tamiya 1:48 kit to build I'm okay, just to give you an idea of where my skill level is, would the Hansa Brandenburg be a good starter for me?

Thank you!
Steve

My Airfix Bf 109e-1
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 09:24:10 AM by Weebeasty32454 »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: WNW Hansa Brandenburg W.29 for Beginner?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 07:57:26 AM »
The WnW Hansa Brandenburg W.29 is a wonderful kit, it builds quite easily and ends up being a beautiful model. If you can work with Tamiya 1:48 scale kits the 1:32 scale W.29 should pose no problems for you, it would be a good start in WW1 aircraft. Here is the link to my build log if you are interested;
http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/page24.html

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Weebeasty32454

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 08:16:45 AM »
Okay Des ... good enough and thanks for the link!   

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 11:04:17 AM »
dont see why not wnw kits are easy to build due to the engineering. the only thing i have found is you have to be careful about paint build up on the iteriors cuz sometimes you can have trouble getting the fuselages closed. i had to do some light sanding on the interior subassemblies outer surfaces that mate to the fuselage sidewalls. thought i would mention it cuz its a well known issue that many builders here have noticed. just test fit before glueing and see if you have to do it . i had to on some wnw kits but i dont have the w.29

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 12:26:02 PM »
   Magnificent "Emil" Steve, I'd say the W.29 would be a great first for you with talent like that! I've got the Kit but haven't got it started at all, looking forward to seeing your work on it.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline FarEast

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 02:14:30 PM »
Now the question is wwhere are you going to get a Hansa Brandenburg W.29????

Also the Roland C.II and C.IIa are great builds, no seam lines to worry about as the aircraft is supposed to have them due to the fabrication style - very little rigging and very strong wing struts for the biplanes.

The interior is very detailed but easy to assemble with lots of reference images to help you on your way!

Offline eclarson

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 11:37:11 PM »
Now the question is where are you going to get a Hansa Brandenburg W.29????

Easy...he can buy the Felixstowe/W.29 Duellist set because once he builds the W.29, another WNW addict will be born and then he won't have to buy the Felix separately.  ;D ;)

Oh, and good advice on the Rolands.   :)

Eric

Offline Weebeasty32454

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 01:15:15 AM »
Okay folks  ...we can now change the name of the thread to "WNW Hansa Brandenburg W.12 for Beginner?"  It's basically the same kit with just another wing.  Am I wrong?  I can get my sticky little fingers on one today?  BTW there is no lack of inspiration around here.  This is a wonderful site!!!

Offline eclarson

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 03:23:45 AM »
Okay folks  ...we can now change the name of the thread to "WNW Hansa Brandenburg W.12 for Beginner?"  It's basically the same kit with just another wing.  Am I wrong?  I can get my sticky little fingers on one today?  BTW there is no lack of inspiration around here.  This is a wonderful site!!!

They're very similar but there are more differences between the W.12 and W.29 than may appear at first glance. It too would be a good first WNW kit though.  Unless you have an alternate source you will have to wait as ordering on the WNW site is still shut off due to the transition to their new partnership with Weta Workshop.

If you've not done so, their site is a wealth of information including views of all kits' instructions, even those OOS, so you can get a good idea of what's in store for you.  Here are the links to the W.12 and W.29 pages.

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3114&cat=4
http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3000&cat=4

Cheers,
Eric