Author Topic: Scratch-built 1/72 Hansa-Brandenburg CC  (Read 4897 times)

Offline lone modeller

Scratch-built 1/72 Hansa-Brandenburg CC
« on: July 05, 2016, 03:00:03 AM »
Evening All,

The Hansa Brandenburg CC was named after Camillo Castiglione a banker who bought the Hansa and Brandenburgisch Fleugzeug-Werke Gmbh in 1916. The machine was designed by E. Heinkel and was powered by a Benz III 150 hp engine, a Heiro 220 hp engine or an Austro-Daimler 185hp engine.

The machine was designed as a short range defensive fighter for use by the Austro-Hungarian navy and there was hope that the German navy would use them too but although they accepted one machine, German pilots tended to prefer floatplanes.

The unusual multiple V strut (or star strut) configuration had been used on the Hansa-Brandenburg D1 fighter and the Hansa-Brandenburg KDW - a D1 on floats. Only 35 of this type were built and most were used by the Austro-Hungarian navy for protection of harbours and bases on the Adriatic coast.

Lt Gottfried Banfield was the best known of the navy pilots to fly these machines which were in service during the summer and autumn of 1917. They were able to hold their own against the Italian flown Nieuport 11, although they were less manoeuvrable than the Nieuports they were slightly faster. Early machines were fitted with one machine gun but later examples had two.

There is a resin kit of this aircraft by Omega Models but I have never seen one so I cannot comment on it.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 07:38:55 AM by lone modeller »

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Scratch-built 1/72 Hansa-Brandenburg CC
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 04:06:57 AM »
She's truly stunning, Stephen!  Truly remarkable work!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 08:14:17 AM »
You have done a brilliant job with this Scratch build Stephen, everything about this model speaks quality, it has turned out to be a real show stopper.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline IanB

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 12:03:21 PM »
Fantastic work Stephen, very nice indeed.
 It's hard to believe that this aircraft was faster than the Nieuport  11 though!

Ian

Offline smperry

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 02:14:11 PM »
That is a real piece of eye candy. I love varnished wood and CDL and you have done a first rate job on both with this gem. Ole Ernst sure liked his star struts. Was there any reduction in drag over struts and wires?

sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline ondra

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 03:21:41 PM »
This is really jaw dropping, Stephen. My hats off to your scratchbuilding skills, sir!

Cheers

Ondra

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 03:27:09 PM »
Looks very intresting. Scratch building is a dicipline on it's own and you have mastered it.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline boggie

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 07:21:33 PM »
Absolutely beautiful result Stephen.

Salute!  :)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 11:38:11 PM »
Stephen, you've really outdone yourself with this one! Just sheer quality through and through; the technical challenges of the star strut configuration, the woodgrain and CDL finish, and the compound nature of the boat/hull design all masterfully completed. It's a stunning model and again, my hat's off to your incredible modelling skills.
Beautiful!
Cheers,
Lance

WarrenD

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 08:23:26 AM »
Gorgeous! Just gorgeous.

Warren

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 03:21:29 AM »
Thank you gentlemen for your kind remarks - I really appreciate them all.

IanB: according to K. Munson (Fighters and Training Aircraft 1914-1918) this was the case. I suspect that the difference in speed was not very great but it seems to have been enough to allow the Austrians to keep this type in service until it was replaced by land-based fighters in 1918.

SMP: I do not know wether there was any advantage with respect to drag. It is possible that Heinkel was experimenting with two ideas - strength (the struts and the frame of this aircraft was steel tube), and he may have been experimenting with strut design in terms of reducing drag. In any event the star strut (or multiple V to give its technical name), was a dead end - on the machine supplied to the German navy extra struts were added at the wing tips - I suspect to reduce flutter and vibration, but not being a pilot or aero-engineer I am guessing on these points.   

Offline ondra

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 04:28:59 PM »
Hi all,

please let me add my two cent on the topic of the star struts. The original intention really was reduction of the drag compared to the configuration of struts and wire rigging (the star struts had an aerodynamic shape, as mentioned above). This concept was first used on the Hansa Brandenburg D.I (I have this information from the Windsock datafile for H-B D.I). However, the lower drag was completely offset by the higher weight of the strut system, therefore this conception did not survive for long.

Cheers

Ondra

Offline ermeio

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 02:53:17 PM »
Stunning and colorful model, Stephen!
It is a masterpiece.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 09:13:44 PM »
Stephen, you have a really stunner there!  An unusual and interesting
model, done as usual with your eye for detail!  Great job, my friend!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Monty

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 02:41:48 AM »
That is a very beautiful model! I like it very much! Well done!