Author Topic: Work done over 10 yars ago  (Read 1305 times)

Offline smperry

Work done over 10 yars ago
« on: July 02, 2016, 01:01:33 PM »
Having recently joined this Forum after a 10 year break from plastic modeling, I haven't any recently completed models to post, but thought I try posting some shots of models that survived a decade in the display case.

These shots are of the 1:32 scale Battle Axe Fokker Eindekker kit. About the polar opposite of a WnW kit as far as fit and detail goes. I recall having to sand off all wing rib detail and replace it with decal strips because it had the wrong number of ribs. A serious dog of a kit compared to what is out there today, but I enjoyed the build in spite of the extra work it required.

I have a glass display case, but it isn't 100% dust proof. There is a super fine layer that won't blow or be brushed off. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to clean up older models without destroying them? I'd sure like to hear if you do.

sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Work done over 10 yars ago
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 01:32:33 PM »
A beautiful looking model Steve, I built the same BA kit a long time ago and even though a dog of a kit it was a joy to build.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline smperry

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 01:49:54 PM »
Des
Thats funny we had the same reaction to the kit. It made me wish for more 1:32 WWI kits. I think I got my wish while I wasn't paying attention.  :-)  More quality 1:32 kits out there now than I'll live to build even if I could afford them all.

Here is another old build. A Blue Max LVG C.VI. I love working with the plastic in Blue Max and Pegasus kits. The wood grain is my own home brew decal. It is cut and applied panel by panel in order to break up the grain like on thee full size ones. Several coats of future tinted with dissolved watercolor pencil to make it look varnished.

sp

There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 06:19:25 PM »
Steve,
You got terrific results with the Battle Axe EIII! I greatly respect anyone that was able to complete one of their models! The LVG is gorgeaous, especially the home made wood decals.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 06:40:51 PM »
Beautiful work on the wood decals Steve, the LVG turned out to be a splendid model.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 02:39:05 AM »
Two really good models. I do not know of either but you certainly make them look as though they are worth building.

To remove the dust you might try a damp paintbrush - good quality with a fairly large flat head. Draw the brush gently over the model and it may both loosen and remove the dust. You may have to repeat several times - just enough to make the dust slippery and moveable. Allow the model to dry and then repeat. I cannot guarantee that it will work - try it on a small section of accessible wing or top of the fuselage first: experimentation will be necessary but it should be possible to get rid of most of it. Then place in a fully dust proof cabinet.

Stephen.