Author Topic: Lindberg 1911 Avro Biplane 1/48th  (Read 35373 times)

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
Re: Lindberg 1911 Avro Biplane 1/48th
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2016, 07:25:44 PM »
Hi Dan, great work on the rigging, I am not sure I understood what the anti-drag wires are...

Moreover it will be _very_ interesting for me to watch how-to make the spoke wheels!

Antonio

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2016, 08:55:11 PM »
Excellent work with the rigging Dan, it all looks good to me.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2016, 02:47:11 AM »
Dan,

I found on the drawings that I used that there were two sets of anti-drag wires form the top of the middle struts to the frame at the bottom of the fuselage where they were attached one and two bays behind the pilot's bay. There were two wires from the top of the rudder post which went to the leading corner of the horizontal tail unit and to the elevator hinge. Apart from that my model appears to be very similar to yours: except that yours looks better!

Andonio: anti-drag wires were wires which ran from the front struts to either the front of the nose or in this case to the undercarriage legs ahead of the wing leading edge. There were also wires from the rear struts also to the fuselage. There purpose was to even the stresses on the wings and transmit some of the drag forces on the wings to the fuselage structure. In effect they helped to stop the wings from bending backwards as they passed through the air.

Stephen.

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2016, 05:51:44 AM »
Thanks for the comments, All...

And Stephen...your description really helps and I'm pretty close with my drag wires.  They do seem to match basically what you said.  I'll add some stuff to the tail, though!  Thanks for that info!

And where is this horrible SCRATCH build, 1/72nd Avro of which you speak?  ;) ;)  I'd love to take a look. I bet it's awesome.

More soon...Dan

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2016, 05:11:33 PM »

Andonio: anti-drag wires were wires which ran from the front struts to either the front of the nose or in this case to the undercarriage legs ahead of the wing leading edge. There were also wires from the rear struts also to the fuselage. There purpose was to even the stresses on the wings and transmit some of the drag forces on the wings to the fuselage structure. In effect they helped to stop the wings from bending backwards as they passed through the air.

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2016, 03:41:08 AM »
And Stephen... where is this horrible SCRATCH build, 1/72nd Avro of which you speak?  ;) ;)  I'd love to take a look. I bet it's awesome.

More soon…Dan

Dan,
 The build thread is under scratch builds page 2: there are also photos in the completed models section page 8.

Stephen

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2016, 06:51:44 AM »
Dan,
    The rigging has really brought it all together, it's one very impressive Model, and I'm looking forward to watching your work on those wire wheels!
Lovely work!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2016, 03:43:17 PM »
Wow, looks awsome. It is jaw dropping what you have made of this ols kit.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2016, 01:58:52 PM »
Wow...it's been awhile!   :o

I have been super busy but this AVRO has not been forgotten.  I started playing around with making spoke wheels and I think I got acceptable results.  I made one and now have 3 more to do!  I hope they get better as I go.  One thing is for sure...they look worlds better than what came in the kit.  The pictures tell the story but some background includes I used this method before on some flying models but wasn't sure it would work in this small size.  Worked great!  Second:  I've been building some paper card models recently and have found that paper and glue are amazing and surprisingly strong!  So the hubs, wheels and tires are all made of thick card stock paper layers (I think I used 110 lb stock).  The spokes started as fine thread which was a disaster!  Then I simply used small pieces of invisible mending thread and just glued them around the hub and rim at the same time. 

Anyway, see what you think!  I want this guy done for a model show this coming Saturday so I'll see if I can get the other wheels done ASAP.  Next post will be in the finished construction section!!   8)

On to the photos:

Left: double thickness wheels, center are paper rolled hubs and right are the tires...two to sandwich each wheel.

Jig:

In Use:

Disaster Below!

Acceptable:

Clamping:

Compare:

Finished:

Not too darn shabby for home made spoke wheels!  More practice in in order like more rounding of the tires but...

Thanks for looking at this long post,

Dan

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2016, 02:54:41 PM »
Excellent work with the spoked wheels Dan, they are a difficult thing to make but you have done a superb job.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2016, 04:12:25 PM »
I think, for the first attempt the wheel looks very nice.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2016, 04:59:05 PM »
Indeed an excellent result Dan!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2016, 11:42:31 PM »
Outstanding work on the spoked wheels Dan! They look great!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2016, 12:38:09 AM »
Outstanding work on the spoked wheels Dan! They look great!
RAGIII
I'm with my amigo on this, Dan!  Rick plucked the exact words right outta my brain!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2016, 12:41:37 PM »
I'm impressed! Using thick card stock is a novel notion, looks like it worked very well. Thanks for posting your method.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.