Author Topic: Pressed paper parts  (Read 2144 times)

Offline Bolman

Pressed paper parts
« on: June 06, 2016, 11:43:50 PM »
Hello,

Had my mind racing with ideas lately and was wondering if anyone has explored the possibility of pressing multiple plies of paper between two dies to make parts.

I'm interested in possibly doing this for an upcoming project of multiple copies of wings for a group of Pfalz E.III / Morane-Saulnier 'L'.

The idea being, making a master part from styrene and using it to make the molds in a polymer clay and baking it to cure, then folding a few sheets of paper around a wood stringer for the leading edge with a contact cement or diluted white glue coating the paper and pressing in the dies until cured.

Thoughts?

John

Offline ermeio

Re: Pressed paper parts
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 11:59:15 PM »
I've used paper or cardboard to make some parts, expecially to cover the balsa core to build wings.
It was fine some years ago, but in this period of hyperdetailed kits i feel that this method does not work.
You can build excellent models out of paper but they must be "paper models" - do not mix the two worlds.

Offline Bolman

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 02:36:51 AM »
You can build excellent models out of paper but they must be "paper models" - do not mix the two worlds.

As a scratch builder, I fail to see the relevance to this project since the plane design is a parasol.

Besides, mixed media, weather it is plastic, resin, brass, white metal or anything found laying around the house, hasn't been an issue with model makers before. Many craftsman kits of years ago and currently high detail kits produced today are mixed media containing resin and brass detail parts.

I suppose my actual concern in posting the question of making the parts, is the use of polymer clay (Sculpey) as molds after curing.

John

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 08:29:43 AM »
i know a guy who made a diorama of the css hunley  using only paper ,ca and white glue.there is a full interior and you would swear it must have been some sort of kit. so you cando many things with paper. i say try and see then report your findings

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 08:39:54 AM »
Sounds like a great idea John, if it does work for you please let me know, I am always looking for new techniques for my scratch builds.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 09:20:15 AM »
Sounds like a good idea John , what type of glue will you use ?  This might make the paper wrinkly perhaps ...

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline IanB

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 11:11:09 AM »
I can't see how you could do that with a wooden "spar" incorporated. How would you ensure enough paper to create the correct aerofoil, and at the same time, little enough to not make it too thick at the spar and still hold it all together? Without the spar, and just using pressed paper, would seem possible as the paper is just more compressed in some areas than others....the wing can then be cut and a spar added if needed. Having said that, if you have the moulds, why not just cast them in resin?

Just my thinking after a beer so it may not stand up to examination....

Ian

Offline BigBlue

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 12:31:20 PM »
It may be worth investigating George's (Pgtaylorart) Pup build  http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=5223.msg92195#msg92195 as he built his spars out of card stock and c/a glue.  Not a direct parallel to your idea, but perhaps informative.

Chris

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 10:36:19 PM »
Look here, I've been experimenting with tissue impregnated with Urethane to form the skin of my DVa:

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=5154.120

Offline Bolman

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 11:41:54 PM »
Thank you all for you input. Even the concerns expressed are food for thought. There are a few things I now want to experiment with and once I have gathered the materials, I will be sure to document what is attempted and the results.
One of the products I have at hand that I wish to try is Woodland Scenic's Matte media which is used to 'glue' material to model railroad scenes. I used it for ballast way back when.
Something else I want to try is spray on contact adhesive, and of course.. thinned white glue.
First, I need a master part.. so, off to the scratch building bench!

John

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 03:05:01 AM »
I'm really looking forward to hearing degree of success you have with the variety of options on hand, could open up a whole new dimension in scratch building  :)

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com