Author Topic: Wingnuts free shipping to end on 17 June  (Read 10047 times)

Offline JiffyJDavies

Re: Wingnuts free shipping to end on 17 June
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2016, 03:39:02 AM »
Decisions are difficult sometimes. What to do with the end of free shipping?

I ordered a Pfalz D.IIIa a few weeks ago. It is listed for 79USD and it arrived at my address with an additional VAT and handling charges of 28,58 euro, which is at the moment 32,52 USD. So I have paid 111,52 USD.

Now there is another one on my wish list: a DFW C5 late which is listed at 129 USD where our customs and postal service will add a charge between 35 - 40 euros (it's a lottery I haven't found a correct calculation, it seems to be different every time) So at a maximum of 174 USD I can order the DFW.

Now my question: is it better to order it now before free shipping ends, or should I wait and order it later at a European WnW distribution centre? If that  will be based in the UK there might occur another issue for us on the continent if the brits vote in favour of a Brexit at the end of june.

Somehow I'm not convinced that ordering in the future will be more expensive without the free shipping.

Any bets?

regards,
Ivo

BREXIT highly unlikely. Warehouse is in the UK, but even in the event of BREXIT, the UK will probably just replace VAT with an exact alternative.

I think the changes will give a marginal change in cost, except when ordering kits in bulk, which will become more expensive.

I'm thinking just order whatever you want, whenever, at least for us Europeans. There is no real benefit to buying now or waiting, it'll be roughly the same.

Offline 15badcats

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2016, 09:13:23 AM »
DH 2 just sold out so maybe you should order what you want The end of free shipping may be emptying the shelves

Offline eclarson

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2016, 06:25:13 AM »
Slid one in under the wire.  Just placed an order for a Fokker E.IV.   :)

Eric

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2016, 08:17:23 AM »
Wise man Eric, that was my last "freebie" as well! :-\
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Cajun

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2016, 09:18:02 AM »
I wonder... Does it end at midnight of tonight? Or at midnight of the 17th?  Might make 1 more order in the AM when I get paid ;)

Offline eclarson

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2016, 02:09:30 PM »
It ends midnight local (Kiwi) time - so that's about 12 hours away...

Nope, it's done.  It's now a little after 4:00pm NZ time and the WNW site has been changed.  The Free Shipping banner is gone and all the available kits now show "Coming Soon" while the OOS still show as such, except, interestingly, the DH.2.  It's showing Coming Soon.  Probably just an oversight on their part unless they found some hidden in a back room. :)

Hopefully everyone who decided on a last-second order with free shipping got it in in time.

Eric

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2016, 02:24:42 PM »
It's the end of the world as we know it.... Tralala.

edit: Now that WNW's latest piece of information is being distributed: the european warehouse will be in NL, thus any Brexit won't directly impact/affect operations. Prices will still be in USD, but can be changed as preferred. Operations to be resumed early July.

S.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 03:48:22 PM by stefanbuss »

Offline janh

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2016, 04:30:39 PM »
Yay i live in the Netherlands! So postagentschap Will be the absolute minimum. On a more interesting note: in this mornings mail Richard sent the logo of the Facebook fanpage/lsm site. It's the first time they acknowledge the existentie of our community so Mabel they actualiteit kisten to our suggestions and hopes

Offline macsporran

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2016, 04:55:23 PM »
When the distribution scheme was first outlined, I wondered if it might indicate expansion of the business and hoped for lots of new releases (albeit at high cost,) to get the new system off to a flying start.

Reading today's announcement though I wonder if it is the opposite: a dumping of stagnant stock out to selected existing Miramar warehouses and a winding down of the NZ facility. (The Camel will have been contracted some time ago so it doesn't really indicate much about current plans.)

I hope for the former.
S

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2016, 05:14:15 PM »
I feel the WnW thing is winding down. This feeling keeps creepng up my neck since two years or so. But I don't mind.

Offline Russell

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2016, 05:53:49 PM »
Previously WnW had said that buyers would be able to order from any distribution centre (albeit at whatever extra postage costs). Today’s press release recants that “unfortunately, there will be no shipping from Hong Kong or the ability to select an alternative warehouse to have your order shipped from as previously advised. Sorry”.

So no centre in HK but more importantly no ability for anyone to buy a particular kit from the other distributors when it’s sold out at the ‘local’ one - as discussed a few days ago the facility to order from any distributor was vital when stocks of a particular kit had reduced to just a handful worldwide.

Now the situation is - if (for example) the last two Gothas happened to end up in the US, it won’t be possible for a buyer outside of the Americas to order one. Hence kits will effectively become ‘sold out’ for many buyers before they would when distributed solely from NZ.

As Fred Pontin used to say in his 1970’s British TV holiday advert – "Book Early" – (i.e. if you want it buy rather than hesitate).   

Regards
Russell

Offline IvotB

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2016, 06:00:50 PM »
the european warehouse will be in NL,
Ah, that might be the start of real free shipping for me. I could pick it up at their warehouse  ;)

regards,
Ivo

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2016, 06:25:16 PM »
I could pick it up at their warehouse  ;)
...only if "picking up" is an option. So far there is no indication you might be able not-to-have-sent your order to your adress, instead visiting them to pick it up. There would be an additional need for some frontend staff to manage visitors...

Of course I would go the pickick-up-route myself as well. My home is not sooo far away from the Netherlands.

Offline IvotB

« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2016, 10:13:46 PM »
It was just wishful thinking.

regards,
Ivo

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2016, 12:11:31 AM »
This is getting stupider every day. I give WNW a year and a half to 2 years before they close the doors for good. Remember I called it. Hopefully they will sell their molds to revell who will do repops like they do with eduard. Might even be cheaper with no photoech then we can get hgw am sets etc.