Author Topic: Wingnuts free shipping to end on 17 June  (Read 10011 times)

Offline Doug Mace

Re: Wingnuts free shipping to end on 17 June
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2016, 07:56:24 AM »
So presumably that's shipping costs and a further 15% price rise for us Kiwis. O for awesome.  :-\

No sympathy mate. You're just catching up with what Europeans have been paying since day one.

Err, no. Euros and pounds have always been worth far more than Kiwi dollars, so I've been paying a fair chunk more than Europeans since day one.

Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!
:)
Thanks, Graham Chapman...but that had to have been pre-WnW.
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline łukasz

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2016, 01:42:06 PM »
Hi everyone. I'm Luke from Polish. I love Wingnut. But. The first model SE5 bought in November 2009. Then it costs $ 59. SE 5a cost for the Polish Zloty 162.25 zł. (1$=2,75).
Today, 2,016 years
$ 1 = 3,86 zł
79 x3,86 = $ 304.94 zł

To this will be added VAT (20% in England), because I understand that the point of sale will be in the English model shop. In Poland VAT = 23%

79 x $ 0.20 = $ 15,8 x 3,86 zł = 60,98 zł

Consignment from England to Polish estimate at $ 10 (3, 86 zł) = 3.86 zł x $ 10 = 38,60 zł. Total cost SE5a today

304.94 + 60.98 + 38.60 = 404.52 zł

404,52 zł / 3,86 = 104, 7979 $ It costs me today SE5a

I do not know how much money goes to the seller in the model shop? I do not count earnings model shop. Variant optimistic.
No longer will I afford to buy a new Wingnut Wings. my earnings are too small.Detriment. I had enough to buy WNW. dreams
Regards
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 01:59:12 PM by łukasz »
glory to the heroes

Offline Russell

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2016, 06:44:29 PM »
Lukasz,
I appreciate your point about 20% VAT & the Europe postage costs being added to what you are used to paying but really any buyer in the EU should have been paying VAT (at their local rate) anyway.

It's just fortunate for some buyers (in some EU countries more than others) that parcels from WnW haven't attracted the attention of the Customs Department & had VAT charged.

From mid June this 'loophole' will disappear & there'll be no escape.

From my own experience in the UK Customs are fairly keen & I rarely got a parcel of WnW kits (I generally order 2 kits at a time) delivered without VAT being added. I can only remember one instance out of perhaps 10 parcels.

Regards
Russell

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2016, 06:56:41 PM »
I really feel for all our members who are forced to pay import duties and taxes plus other imposed fees, this adds a huge burden to the already high cost of a kit and as of the 17th they will have to pay postage as well, not a very comfortable position to be in. In Australia we are very fortunate having not to pay any import duties, taxes or any other form of payment for any orders we receive under $1000 value. My huge stash of Wingnuts models have all landed here for the cost of the kit alone, but like everyone else in the world this is about to change. I will have a choice of where the kit will be posted from and that will determine the postage costs, I think it is just the sign of the times and we all will have to pay the price if we want top quality WW1 aircraft kits.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2016, 08:16:42 AM »
did you guys really think wnw would last forever? like airfix ,revell,tamiya? i called it years back when i said that wnw were highly underpriced for the quality and that they were basically wholesaling to its small fanbase.i knew if they sold to wholesalers who then sold to distributers the prices would get substantially higher. this is starting to happen it seems. i also think this is the beginning of the end. i dont expect many more releases. perhaps 6 to 10 but i think closer to 6 new tool kits. perhaps they will get around to a re-release or maybe just maybe they will sell their mold to another concern who will re-pop the popular sellers. i dont know but i plan only to buy the albatros b.ii unless they release something i really like. all this is speculation but i knew it would not be an ongoing concern that just continued releseing new tool kits at the rate of 4 per year indefinately. it had to end sometime.

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2016, 04:02:13 PM »
So maybe (hopefully) this is the chance for Roden to get back into business again?! At least I notice that Roden is drawing my interest more and more again, as WnW have ceased to come up with new (that is: reasonably affordable) model kits I REALLY WANT TO HAVE in the last two years or so. (Although I actually bought one from time to time...) Just my 2 Cents to it.
Richard

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2016, 04:55:13 PM »

The Weta warehouse is in the UK. That means they should apply VAT at 20% when sold, rather than applying VAT in the country of purchase.

So your kits may be 5% cheaper!!!

This is great news. I've bought a few Lord of the Rings figures from Weta over the years and have found them to be 100% A-OK.

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Online macsporran

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2016, 05:18:24 PM »
I would have assumed that they would be stockpiling a number of tasty new releases to coincide with the new distribution process and help get it working.
Otherwise there seems little point in sending shipments of existing stuff to sit in weta warehouses. Surely everybody that wants to buy, say, a DFW will have done so before prices rise yet again.

So, perhaps we'll have a Dolphin, Junkers D.I, BE2c, d, e, f, 12, and maybe even a "Bloody Paralyser" to tempt us, by the end of the month.

..... of course, with WNW, who would predict sensible marketing plans?
Sandy

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2016, 02:51:02 AM »
Hi Guys - latest update on WNW site re new distribution. Looks like we Brits can at least save the £8 Parcel Force handling fee in future

Who though, is Weta Workshop, and where are they based? That's a new source to me.

Regards - Tug

Oops - Just seen your post Von Bob, just hope they don't charge £1 per dollar - Hannants have just increased their prices to that effect. The Gotha is now a whopping £189.99  :o - looks like I made the right decision on that one a few weeks back  ;D
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 02:55:06 AM by Suffolk Lad »

Offline JiffyJDavies

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2016, 05:24:57 AM »
Hi Guys - latest update on WNW site re new distribution. Looks like we Brits can at least save the £8 Parcel Force handling fee in future

Who though, is Weta Workshop, and where are they based? That's a new source to me.

Regards - Tug

Oops - Just seen your post Von Bob, just hope they don't charge £1 per dollar - Hannants have just increased their prices to that effect. The Gotha is now a whopping £189.99  :o - looks like I made the right decision on that one a few weeks back  ;D

Some confusion over this.

They are warehousing the kits, not selling them. They are told by WNW where to the send the kits. You still continue to pay WNW direct, there is no scope for adding margins like Hannants. They are a retailer, WETA (who are in the UK) are acting as warehousing only. You have no contract with WETA.

Differences will be, for UK sales, prices on WNW site will be in Sterling and include 20% VAT and shipping. No £8 processing fees. So, for instance, if shipping is £8, you pay exactly the same.

In fact, because Paypal use very dodgy exchange rates, there may be a saving in paying in Sterling, rather than $'s because there is no exchange rate loss.

It all revolves around the new shipping charge. Will UK shipping be the cheapest because the warehouse is in the UK? Will shipping be the same, flat rate, for all, or will it be charged at actual cost? Will WNW use better exchange rates than PayPal when converting the Sterling for orders? Will WNW now refuse to ship to Russia, as WETA do?

Offline Dwaynewilly

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2016, 07:47:10 AM »
I would have assumed that they would be stockpiling a number of tasty new releases to coincide with the new distribution process and help get it working.
Otherwise there seems little point in sending shipments of existing stuff to sit in weta warehouses. Surely everybody that wants to buy, say, a DFW will have done so before prices rise yet again.

So, perhaps we'll have a Dolphin, Junkers D.I, BE2c, d, e, f, 12, and maybe even a "Bloody Paralyser" to tempt us, by the end of the month.

..... of course, with WNW, who would predict sensible marketing plans?
Sandy

Excellent thought that somehow makes incredible sense.  I just hope theirs is a sustainable business model.  I too have purchased only those kits that appeal to me and will continue to do so but I must say that the increase in cost is definitely having a negative impact on my ability to support this scale.  I can only justify the expense with subject matter that I am really fond of, casual purchases are a thing of the past.

Dwayne

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2016, 07:56:55 AM »
...........Will UK shipping be the cheapest because the warehouse is in the UK? Will shipping be the same, flat rate, for all, or will it be charged at actual cost? Will WNW use better exchange rates than PayPal when converting the Sterling for orders? Will WNW now refuse to ship to Russia, as WETA do?

Ah, I guess we'll all just have to wait and see then - the words string, piece, length and how spring immediately to mind  :)

Tug

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2016, 08:00:01 AM »
I, too, have everything I want from the current offerings.  However, I did pull the trigger on another Pup before shipping fees apply.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline IvotB

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2016, 08:10:57 PM »
Decisions are difficult sometimes. What to do with the end of free shipping?

I ordered a Pfalz D.IIIa a few weeks ago. It is listed for 79USD and it arrived at my address with an additional VAT and handling charges of 28,58 euro, which is at the moment 32,52 USD. So I have paid 111,52 USD.

Now there is another one on my wish list: a DFW C5 late which is listed at 129 USD where our customs and postal service will add a charge between 35 - 40 euros (it's a lottery I haven't found a correct calculation, it seems to be different every time) So at a maximum of 174 USD I can order the DFW.

Now my question: is it better to order it now before free shipping ends, or should I wait and order it later at a European WnW distribution centre? If that  will be based in the UK there might occur another issue for us on the continent if the brits vote in favour of a Brexit at the end of june.

Somehow I'm not convinced that ordering in the future will be more expensive without the free shipping.

Any bets?

regards,
Ivo

Offline Edo

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2016, 09:38:05 PM »
I am with you, Ivo.
Vat, custom and handling charges count for a lot of money, that could be spent in posting charges instead. So I am leaning towards a zero-sum change. If there will be a Brexit after all, I think that the effect will be seen only in the long run (the Economist reported a 10 years period for Brexit to have 'full' development).
We'll see... but I just hope that all worths wile: with the slow pace of kit development I am falling off love with WnW...
ciao
edo