Author Topic: Hansa-Brandenburg CC flying boat  (Read 10331 times)

Offline lone modeller

Hansa-Brandenburg CC flying boat
« on: May 20, 2016, 09:14:59 AM »
Evening All,

In my last build (the Phoenix A or Hansa-Brandenburg W 18 flying boat), I wrote that it was a test of concept for me: I wanted to attempt a flying boat as I had not constructed a hull before and was not sure what the best approach would be, so I used a push mould.  Now I want to attempt another flying boat and this time I am trying a different approach by building the hull from sheet card. I know that there are kits of this KDW (biplane fighter - water) in 1/48 scale (Omega Models) and 1/72 scale (Mega Models), but as usual I think that it is as easy (and considerably cheaper), to make the parts yourself. I also wanted to try something interesting and a little different so here goes.

The sides and bottom were cut from 30 thou card and then a box structure was made using 20 thou card formers: the cockpit will be made to fit into one of the forward compartments which I painted with oils.

While waiting for the paint to dry (three days), I started on the cockpit details including the pilots seat, the ammunition and spent cartridge boxes, control column, rudder bar, etc. The only kit part which I will use will be an Aeroclub Schwarzlose machine gun.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 06:42:48 AM by lone modeller »

Offline RAGIII

Re: Hansa-Brandenburg CC flying boat
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 07:32:12 PM »
Another fantastic start to what I am sure will be a Brilliant Model!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 08:57:24 PM »
You have made a brilliant start Stephen, this is another of your model builds that I will be following along closely.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 09:41:34 PM »
Your builds are such fun to follow, Stephen, and this one is no
exception.  Beautiful start on the hull and interior, my friend.
Looking forward to the next updates!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline xmald

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 06:18:48 AM »
Stephen, I`m going to follow this one closely - the CC is IMHO one of the most interesting WWI flying boats. I have the Omega kit, so maybe your build will motivate me to finally have a go with that one...
Great job on the hull and the cockpit.
Best regards
Filip

Offline IanB

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 07:43:07 AM »
Wow, that was quick! Looking very good already....

Ian

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 02:29:04 AM »
Thank you gentlemen for the encouraging remarks.

Yes Ian I got off to a flying start on this one but rest assured, my normal snail's pace will resume soon enough as I find that I do not have the time to sit down and concentrate.

xmald: this is one which has fascinated me for a long time too - now at last I have screwed up the courage to have a go at it, and I am hoping that I do not screw it up!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 04:21:49 AM »
Evening All,

The first task I had to complete when the paints in the cockpit compartment of the fuselage were dry was to add the upper and lower surfaces to the rear fuselage from 30 thou card. The lower surface was butted against a former to give the step on the lower fuselage: all the tiny gaps that seem to appear from nowhere when adding tapered pieces were filled with filler - fortunately very little was needed in this case.

Now I slotted the cockpit sub-assembly into the relevant compartment in the front of the hull so that I could start to fit the forward pard of the upper fuselage. The latter was made from 2 sheets of 40 thou card which had been laminated. The cockpit was cut out using a pair of didvders to scribe the circle and then the mg slot could be sit using a sharp craft knife - again scoring the hole.

The card was then glued directly to the top of the hull and when dry had to be shaped to the curved cross section and sloping front using files and finishing with glass paper. I used a similar method to shape the fuselage top behind the cockpit - this was a hump shape where the lower wing spar was attached to the top of the hull. A very small amount of filler was used to shape the finer details of the edges behind the cockpit as in my enthusiasm I took off a little too much plastic. The small rim around the top of the front of the hull was made from 10 thou rod.

Then the whole was primed to see if there were still any gaps or uneven surfaces..

Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 06:48:21 AM by lone modeller »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 05:28:21 AM »
    You are really producing some spectacular results here Stephen. Constructing a hull with all those curved surfaces so well out of sheet stock is impressive to say the very least, lovely work! 8) As with all of your Builds I'll be following your progress closely, and as always enjoying it immensely.
    I may have missed it somewhere but what glue are you using on the card stock joins?
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 03:35:57 AM »
Thank you for your kind remark Lance. I use Revell Contacta professional for the sides to formers, and for the guide strips along the edges of the sides where the top and bottom pieces. I use Humbrol liquid poly to attach the top and bottom rear sections. For the top front (cockpit section) I used Revell again. Ihope that is helpful.

Stephen.   

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 03:41:45 AM »
Truly remarkable work, Stephen!  Shaping up to another show stopper!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 04:14:40 AM »
Cheers,
Bud

I agree completely with my Amigo!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2016, 08:17:41 AM »
Cheers,
Bud

I could not have said it better.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 11:15:53 PM »
Hi Stephen
I am a great fan of your stuff anyway but this one is of particular interest, I would not have thought it could be built without push moulding. I cannot wait to see how this one progresses.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 01:32:53 PM »
looks like a cc to me