Author Topic: One of mine  (Read 5555 times)

Offline Marvin

Re: One of mine
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 08:27:33 AM »
Thank you for the compliments, Antonio...I appreciate it very much.

As for the turnbuckles, I used some light fishing line to do the rigging, then used some thick paint to simulate the turnbuckles. I built the paint up in layers until it looked like something close to what I wanted. The upside is that this is a quick way of simulating turnbuckles. The downside is that it is hard to get uniformity; each one looks a little different from the rest. I will use a different technique on my next rigging job, because I have learned more form the great modellers on this site.

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 05:56:56 PM »
OK Thanks Marvin, for my next job I would try to use brass pipes, just wonder how to cut them without flatting them...

Antonio

Offline Marvin

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 11:36:48 PM »
Use PEEK tubing instead of brass...this rigid plastic tubing is fantastic. It comes in very small diameter sizes, with ultra-thin walls. This stuff cuts very easily, yet keeps its shape. I have purchased three sizes so far (.0100 ID; .0200 ID; .0319 ID).  I bought mine at Small Parts, which I think has been acquired by Amazon. The tubing arrives in very nice clear plastic shipping tubes.

http://www.amazonsupply.com/zeus-peek-thin-wall-tubing-tan/dp/B003TLNL5S/ref=sr_1_3?sr=1-3&qid=1336570172

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 11:45:01 PM »
  Marvin,
Thanks for the tip on the Peek tubing my friend. I'll have to give this stuff a try.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 12:16:31 AM »
Marvin your advice is really precious, I will give those tubes a try.

Thanks again

Antonio

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 02:28:01 AM »
Thin easy to cut plastic tubing - who could ask for anything more?...except maybe the Ferrari....

Steve

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 07:21:37 AM »
Let me be another to say thanks for that tip about Peek tubing Marvin. I currently use 0.5 mm outside/ 0.33 inside diameter brass tubing for my turnbuckles and if I've done the conversion correctly, Zeus tubing with an internal diameter of 0.013" = 0.33 mm, so that would be the size for me.

Do you score and snap this plastic tubing, or slice it clean through? If clean through, do you have to be careful to avoid crush damage?

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Marvin

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 08:02:25 AM »
Use a very sharp razor blade and you will get a very clean cut, with no distortion of the end...it will remain round. Be sure to get different sizes because these can be used to achieve different effects by layering one size inside another.

The PEEK tubing is excellent, but there is also another tubing sold by the same company that is just as good...it's translucent amber tubing. Take a look at #21, #24, and #30 on the following list (the differing prices are due to length):

http://www.amazonsupply.com/translucent-amber-miniature-polyimide-tubing/dp/B003TLNL5I/ref=sr_1_8?sr=1-8&qid=1336600310

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 05:41:16 PM »
Thanks Marvin, another question, this is due essentially to my poor knowledge of the English vocabulary: what does "Gauge" mean in the technical characteristics of the Zeus PEEK Thin-Wall Tubing?

Thanks

Antonio

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 08:41:53 PM »
G'day, Marvin.

That's a nice job, mate.  The Germans really know how to colour an aircraft, don't they?  Thanks for the tip on the plastic pipe, too.  I will be giving that a try.

Cheers.

Dal. 

Offline Marvin

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2012, 11:58:45 PM »
Thanks Marvin, another question, this is due essentially to my poor knowledge of the English vocabulary: what does "Gauge" mean in the technical characteristics of the Zeus PEEK Thin-Wall Tubing?

Thanks

Antonio

Antonio:

it's a way to measure things. Here's what the Merriam-Webster has to say:

"a measurement (as of linear dimension) according to some standard or system: as (1) : the distance between the rails of a railroad (2) : the size of a shotgun barrel's inner diameter nominally expressed as the number of lead balls each just fitting that diameter required to make a pound <a 12-gauge shotgun> (3) : the thickness of a thin material (as sheet metal or plastic film) (4) : the diameter of a slender object (as wire or a hypodermic needle) (5) : the fineness of a knitted fabric expressed by the number of loops per unit width".

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2012, 12:03:57 AM »
OK thanks Marvin, so for our purposes it's not important to decide which size to buy, the ID and OD it's enough.

Antonio

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2012, 12:23:56 AM »
Chris,
         Have you ordrred from Amazon.com? I have only ever used ca and only for books. I know there will be shipping but Im wondering about duty to us. I ordered super fine brass tubing from Michigan (but not thru Amazon) and got murdered for duty etc

Steve

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2012, 09:15:18 AM »
Chris,
         Have you ordrred from Amazon.com? I have only ever used ca and only for books. I know there will be shipping but Im wondering about duty to us. I ordered super fine brass tubing from Michigan (but not thru Amazon) and got murdered for duty etc

Steve

I've ordered from Small Parts in the past, which is evidently Amazon.com now, and I don't remember the duty charges, so it couldn't have been too bad. I order books from Amazon.com from time to time and have never paid duty yet, although there are shipping costs. The only duty I ever get charged for seems to be when I order from Squadron. Packages from Sprue Brothers have never cost me duty, nor have parcels from LuckyModel.com or BuyModel.net, both of which I use quite often. For books, the best online dealer bar none is The Book Depository from the UK. No shipping charges, great prices, great selection, no duty (yet), and no taxes.

In all cases though, I keep the parcel sizes as small as possible to fly under the radar. For example, I never order more than one model kit at a time.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2012, 10:42:53 AM »
Thanks Chris
                     Funny how most of those dealers are common to both of us (probably lots of people) Im tempted to order some of the tubing although I have a fair amount of the brass tubing I mentioned....the plastic just seems too tempting

Steve