Author Topic: Hobbycraft Spad XIII- wing fit issues.  (Read 3409 times)

Offline Dal Gavan

Hobbycraft Spad XIII- wing fit issues.
« on: August 19, 2012, 12:47:07 PM »
G'day.

I've fixed up most of the damage to my Pfalz but have to wait until I can get back up to the farm to re-spray the underside and paint a replacement cross on the lower starboard wing.  It's a 270km round trip (about 1.5 hours each way), but there's no room in my flat for my compressor and airbrush.  Besides, I like an excuse to go and see my horse and escape the city :) .

So I continued doing some detail work on the Spad cockpit.  There's a great series of cockpit photo's at http://memorial.flight.free.fr/SpadXIIIuk.html and they show just how bare the kit cockpit is.  I also bought the Datafile, which gave me a better insight into how the cockpit and floor should look.  I'd sprayed the fuselage insides last time I was up at the farm using Humbrol 103, which seems to be a fair match for the yellowish French CDL.

Armed with some spare sprue, a Waldron punch, Airscale instrument decals and some etched bits and spare fret from Uncle Tom's, I did some scratch building yesterday, adding some of the detail that will be visible in the cockpit.  Unfortunately the Airscale decals don't match the instruments in the cockpit, but I've use the equivalents from the sheet.  Also, the thickness of the plastic means that I had a lot of fettling to get my scratch-built stuff to fit.  The results aren't perfect by any means, but they give the impression of a much busier cockpit than Hobbycraft give you.

Now to add the fuselage bracing wires, the oil lines and some other bits and piece (like the joy stick) and I can close up the fuselage, ready for painting.  Then I'll decide whether to extend the wings (for Baracca's aircraft) or do this one as a French aircraft and wait for WNW to release a Spad XIII.  I'll be getting FCM's sheet for Baracca's aircraft in any case, once it's re-released, and will need to find some for this kit if I choose not to extend the wings- an on line review said the markings included for Gutnemer's aircraft are also for the earlier version with rounded wingtips.   

Cheers.

Dal.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 10:04:09 PM by Dal Gavan »

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Change of pace- Hobbycraft Spad XIII
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 02:28:40 PM »
You're off to a brilliant start, Dal.  That cockpit is shaping up beautifully.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 02:31:40 PM »
Excellent start Dal, the instruments look brilliant as does the rest of the cockpit so far.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 08:08:58 AM »
   Dal,
Outstanding first progress my friend. I've been looking forward to your SPAD for a while and from today's update I can tell I won't be disappointed .
Keep up the excellent work.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette.

PS: Give us a shout if I can help with SPAD references.
" What Me Worry"

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 10:35:22 AM »
Looking forward to following this one. I haven't seen too many SPAD builds, and I'd like to do one someday, so this should be interesting. Lots of pictures!

Lindsay

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 02:16:09 PM »
Nice work there Dal ;)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 10:15:45 PM »
Ditto the above -- looks like a great start, clean and crisp.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 08:23:01 AM »
do you want me to mail you a copy of one of my scratchbuilt resin  control panels? i have some copies a few guys wanted them a while ago and liked em. let me know. i used the memorial flight photos and datafile to make an accurate control panel made to fit the hobby craft spad xiii. althought what youve done is quite nice.

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 09:06:40 PM »
G"day.

Bud, Des, Gregory, Lindsay, Andrew and Tony , thanks for the kind words.  It was excellent therapy, actually, and stopped me testing the flight properties of the Pfalz.  I'm very impressed with Airscale's decals- they went on and snuggled down beautifully after a couple of seconds in warm water and really give the kit a lift.  I think I'll e-mail the link  and see if he's interested in adding some of those instruments to his sheet.

Scott, thanks very much for your generous offer!  I've learned a lot putting that gear in (and, as noted above, it was great therapy), but it could look a lot better.  I'll PM you my e-mail address so you can let me know postage costs, etc.

Thanks again.

Dal.

Offline Dal Gavan

Re: Hobbycraft Spad XIII- Some cockpit work
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 10:35:12 PM »
While trying to work out how I'd mucked up the rigging on my Nieuport 28 I did a bit of work on this kit, mainly on the cockpit.  It's now ready to close up the fuselage and attach the lower wings.  I've found a scheme for a late-model XIII that I can do easily, from SPA 68, on page 597 of French Aircraft of the First World War.  I haven't used the resin pieces that Scott sent, because I am a little nervous of cutting up the cowl to fit them.  I'll wait for Hobbycraft to re-release this kit and use them on that.

As usual, any comments, criticisms or advice is welcome.

Cheers.

Dal.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 01:53:32 AM »
Hello Dal:

The instruments look pretty darn good.  It will dress up that interior nicely.  Looking forward to seeing you progress through this build. I have another one in the stash and your build will be referenced when I get back to it.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 01:57:51 AM »
 Dal,
Excellent work on your SPAD my old friend. I'm looking forward to seeing much more of this thread.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 10:59:12 AM »
Mark, so far the fit of the parts has been very good, with the exception of the feeder line to the tank (it's about 1.5mm short and visible).  But the cockpit is very basic and will need dressing up.  There's some very good photo's at http://memorial.flight.free.fr/SpadXIIIuk.html that should be useful.  I just realised I haven't made a cushion for the seat......  I'm also a little worried by the inter-plane struts- they look very flimsy!

Gregory, the only thing holding this build up was finding a scheme I could copy- without a clear goal I lost interest.  Now I have a scheme to do, it should proceed more quickly.

Cheers.

Dal.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 12:17:36 PM »
Very nice start Dal! I like the extra effort and detailing you have done on the Instruments!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 03:10:30 PM »
Very nicely done so far Dal, lovely work on the instruments panel, I'm looking forward to seeing more of this build.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com