Author Topic: WNW kits for sale  (Read 1968 times)

Offline ALBATROS1234

WNW kits for sale
« on: May 13, 2016, 03:11:57 AM »
Its seems as though there are a lot of wnw kits for sale these days .eBay has them as well as other online sites but it also seems like there's a lot of guys here sellingbthwn in the buy sell swap section .I wonder the reason.is the wnw fad waning?are guys trying to raise money for new wnw kits and such? Is the economy so bad that guys are trying to get bill money together?

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: WNW kits for sale
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 08:28:01 AM »
There seems to be a swing back to 1:48 and 1:72 scale building happening on our forum, I think this is mainly due to the now high cost of Wingnut kits coupled with the world currency exchange rate. I have also noticed quite a few Wingnut kits being offered for sale on our forum shop, Ebay and other forums, I believe that a lot of people purchased every Wingnuts kit when hey were released and now realize that they will never build them, 30 - 40 Wingnuts kits adds up to a lot of money just sitting there doing nothing.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 11:06:52 AM »
Yes I find myself in many of the situations already discussed. Too many WNW kits, some worth more to sell than to build. Yes I am still buying WNW kits - at the recent Model Expo WNW stall I picked up a DH2 for $90 NZ (about to become discontinued) and a Felixstowe Duelist kit for $400 NZ. Have sold/in the process of selling HB W.29, three Fokker DVII and Hannover kits. I fancy buying a 1/24 scale Bugatti racer from Fisher and a 1/24 Fiat Schneider Cup racer. Have also purchased lots of WWI figures in 1/72 scale to do some dioramas. I will be more selective about future WNW new releases - Camel doesn't interest me.

I think the main problem with WNW is they have produced too many kits for my build rate. My stash is no longer a source of joy, more like a source of guilt/despair as I have so many started but not completed
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Russell

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 03:05:39 AM »
..... I'm just rebalancing my stash in line with my interests, and trying not to spend too much overall.....

This seems about right for me as well.

I’m not about to thin out any WnW kits but I am going to reduce the number of AFV kits I’ve had for some years – great kits bought when I fancied doing some ‘heavy stuff’ but I know I’m not going to build more than odd one – at heart I’ve always preferred either aircraft or racing cars but the tanks seemed a good idea at the time.

Purchase priorities are varied & often change. Personally as far as WnW kits are concerned I was initially keen to acquire at least one kit of the aircraft I was interested in (mainly the German stuff) before they sold out. Once that was close to being achieved I started adding either early or late versions of a couple. Then there’s two or three aircraft types which I’d like at some point to build different versions/markings of so a few duplicates got added to the list – I’m close to getting all of these now. Finally there’s a lingering thought that I should get a duplicate of the more challenging kits (such as the Gotha) whilst they are available just in case I make a mess of building the first one – I think I’ll have to draw a line here though both from cost & space considerations.

Even limiting myself mainly to those aircraft bearing crosses it’s still added up to more kits than I imagined I’d buy. Who knows, perhaps in the future I’ll decide I can’t find the display space for more than a single example of an aircraft type & I’ll ‘thin out the herd’ but for the moment I’m more content to have a potential surplus than I would be having to face trying to buy a OOP kit at ‘enhanced’ prices.

Regards
Russell

Offline crouthaj

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 09:52:47 AM »
I just sold four out of production Wingnut kits to pay for a letter by Ernst Udet on auction -- it was a worthwhile exchange (and it shows how much the Wingnut kits are worth).  WNW kits have generated their own economic power!

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 09:11:45 AM »
congratulations on your udet letter,must be very interesting to have such a piece of history.

Offline mike in calif

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 02:01:06 PM »
Interesting points Russell. I'm going to "thin the herd' a bit as well, and sell at the June IPMS show. I may sell a couple of OOP WNW kits, or at least take them and gauge the interest. W-29s sell for a solid 250.00 on e-bay, so I guess I'll find out what the comfort level is. I will also be selling some 1/35 armor, as I have some 1/25 and 1/24th scale tanks, and my want them for later years.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 11:02:47 AM »
mike i would think  selling here or ebay would be better to get top dollar. of course you could luck out and have a few guys interested with cash in pocket but in my experience with ipms shows its all about shopping for good deals to get as much for your money. theres also usually not so many ww1 guys at the shows. usually only a handful of models. example my new orleans show,350 models entered 8 ww1 aircraft in all scales. 1 in 1/72, 5 in 1/48 and 2 in 1/32. and guess what ...4 of the 1/48 and 1 1/32 was me. so 3 other guys each entered 1 model in each respective scale.last year no 1/32 at all and year before 2 which one was mine. you are better off selling here where there is a concentration of wnw junkies or ebay where you can show them worldwide at once. i have tried to sell kits at shows and failed miserably. not enuff ww1 guys out there unfortunately.

Offline mike in calif

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 11:52:32 AM »
Thanks Albie, def. some food for thought!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 11:53:22 AM »
Mike,
    I have had the same experience; the IPMS Canadian Western Regional has 5-600 models entered per year, and a pretty impressive Vendors area however there's very little WWI stuff to be had. Entries are about on par with the totals, 10-12 WWI Aircraft per year. We are a very small niche of the Modelling community. Last year I was able to attend the Ottawa "CapCon" version, and found it was near identical in WWI entries and vendor's opportunities. If I were selling I'd do it on line here, or on EBay etc.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 12:34:48 PM »
sad but true we are a niche of a segment of a waning hobby. but were the only ones who know how cool and ultra nerdy you gotta be to be "in the know" so to speak with the awesomeness that is ww1 aero static modelling.