Author Topic: Scratch built 1/72 Phonix Type A flying boat  (Read 1991 times)

Offline lone modeller

Scratch built 1/72 Phonix Type A flying boat
« on: May 12, 2016, 07:51:28 AM »
Evening All,

I really enjoyed building the Ago floatplane last year in the GB while Ninetythirdliberator (Dan Smith) brought this machine to my attention with his build of the Formaplane kit. I have to admit that I knew almost nothing of the Austro-Hungarian Naval Air Service before I started this project, but it has really aroused my interest as they flew some very graceful and interesting flying boats, some of which I am sure would make excellent subjects for scratch builds. This particular model was a test of concept for me to see if I could mould a flying boat hull: it is large for a push mould but it works. Larger hulls will have to be considered carefully before attempting to make them.

The Phoenix Typ A was a Hansa Brandenburg design (the W18) which was manufactured under licence for the Austro-Hungarian navy: one was supplied to the German navy but as German pilots preferred floatplanes rather than flying boats the type was not used by them. By contrast the Austro-Hungarian navy used flying boats in considerable numbers for the defence of port and other coastal installations, and for offensive operations and reconnaissance.

The Phonix Type A entered service in the summer of 1917 for the defence of Trieste, Pola, Kumbor and Parenzo (Porec) - all on the Adriatic Sea, where it was capable of holding its own against the Nieuport 11 being used by their Italian opponents. Machines were powered by either a 200hp or 230hp Heiro engine (the German machine was powered by a Benz III), and there were variations in the tail structures and radiators mounted on the top wing.

In 1918 these machines were generally withdrawn from front line service as their relatively limited range and lack of manoeuvrability meant that they were outclassed by the newer machines being employed by the Italians.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 09:54:45 PM by lone modeller »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Scratch built 1/72 Phonix Type A flying boat
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 08:48:26 AM »
She turned out beautiful Stephen, a very attractive looking flying boat, you have captured all the elegance of these wonderful aircraft. The overall finish on this model is superb and the timber fuselage has been expertly replicated, well done.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 08:50:42 AM »
Stephen,
A completely gorgeous build from start to finish! A pleasure as always to follow, watch, and learn!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Der Phönix

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 09:46:22 AM »
Congratulations, LM,

This build turned out beautifully. I particularly love the colours of the Austrian Rot-Weis-Rot juxtaposed with the natural surfaces of the fuselage. I also envy you your scratch-building skills and bravery but have to say that this particular aircraft, if for name only, tempts me to throw my hat into that ring.

Do you have any suggestions on plans and/or references that may be available? I know that a lot of these diminutive air-and-sea craft were made in small numbers and documentation is scarce but perhaps you have some thoughts.

I look forward to your next offering.

Best regards,
DP

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 09:51:46 AM »
What a truly marvelous model you've created, Stephen!  The build log was a delight to follow from beginning to end.  I need to build a vac machine.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Bolman

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 11:54:53 AM »
Wow Stephen, Well done. Very well done!

John

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 11:55:03 AM »
Stephen,
    Congratulations on another very fine Build! Like Bud I really enjoyed following your progress and the results are spectacular. Just simply beautiful, your talents are remarkable!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 03:53:55 AM »
Thank you Des, Rick, DP, Bud, John and Bud for the very kind remarks which are really appreciated. I am pleased that you enjoyed the build thread - this one was fun and a pleasure to build.

I knew very little about the A-H flying boats until I started this one, but their graceful lines and Rot-Weiss-Rot (red-white-red) wing markings really do make them attractive to look at and I have recently acquired some DF's with a view to building some more flying boat models. In fact I had introduced this one by writing that it was a proof of concept for me - could I manage to mould a hull. My next project, which will start to appear shortly (when I have properly started it), will feature another flying boat from Hansa- Brandenburg in A-H colours.

DP: I will pm you with the information that I was able to find on this type.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 04:15:53 AM by lone modeller »

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 04:12:29 AM »
Steve

Wonderful work (I would expect no less from you) on a really different subject matter for you!

I really like the look of this machine and your wood effect painting on hull is spot on.

Look forward to seeing this one in the flesh.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 04:16:40 AM »
Thanks Dave - I hope to be able to bring it to the next club meeting.

Stephen.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 04:47:10 AM »
Another beauty Stephen!  Very well done. ;D

Best regards,

Bob

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 02:59:53 AM »
Thanks Bob for the kind remarks.

Stephen.

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 02:21:46 PM »
Wow...that is much prettier than mine.  I love the CDL you got.  And the wood is great too.  Now I feel even worse about the decals.

I will re-tripple my efforts, Stephen!  >:( >:( ;)

Dan

Offline ermeio

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 07:29:12 PM »
Very very Nice model a little gem!
Lovely colourful model. You are a Master!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 03:57:56 AM »
Thanks Dan and Ermio for the kind remarks.

Stephen.