Author Topic: louvre die sets  (Read 4396 times)

Offline pietro

• What?! Are you kidding?!
louvre die sets
« on: April 28, 2016, 10:13:46 AM »
Bo, first, let me say how impressed I am with where you're taking this new technology. You are a genius! I just received the louvre die sets(very nice). My intent is to get back to the Canuck project engine side panels. Do you have any ideas or suggestions on how to use them keeping them aligned I just sent back a 1/2 ton "mini" arbor press to Amazon. It's way more than needed. My idea is to provide a sliding tray for the females and drill the arbor for the males held in with a magnet. I just don't want a huge clunky press on my hobby bench, and the Panavise abor press is a little over my budget right now.
Thank you,Pietro

Offline Russell

Re: louvre die sets
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 06:02:58 PM »
Pietro,

It could be worth looking at a watchmakers 'Watch Back press' or even a watchmakers 'Staking press' on Ebay for instance. There's a multitude of different designs & sizes (although all even the largest is 'modelling size').

Some types are fairly basic & cheap: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/crystal-press

http://uk.picclick.com/Watch-Case-Back-Closing-Press-Micro-Stella-PROFESSIONAL-CLOSER-252207703138.html

Regards
Russell

Offline pietro

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 07:35:41 PM »
Russell, thank you very much. Those are pretty neat! I have never seen them before! Thanks again.
Pietro

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 11:48:16 PM »
Hi Pietro!

I designed these to be used in a miniature drill press -- of course not with the drill turning! The idea is to chuck the male piece and leave the female part be loose; press the chuck down and clamp the female piece in place.

There is enough resistance on the shaft of the drill press to keep it from rotating while forming the louvres.

Now, I suppose none of the above is very helpful if you do not possess a miniature drill press! I have use both dies "manually" as well-- it doesn't really take much pressure to form them in aluminum...

Offline pietro

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 04:32:18 AM »
Bo, thank you for your information. I have an incredibly cumbersome industrial size drill press. I got good deal on a Panavise arbor press on Ebay, and plan to modify it for your louver sets. Will send pictures. BTW, your DVll radiator is gorgeous, so I may have to build another DVll. Keep the good stuff coming.
Pietro

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2023, 09:54:09 PM »
Bo, I did not see the louvre die sets on the Aircraft in Pixels website.  Do you still offer these?
Can you show some examples of what the pressed louvres look like?  What material works best? Brass or aluminum?  What thickness is recommended?

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2023, 12:27:24 AM »
Bo, I did not see the louvre die sets on the Aircraft in Pixels website.  Do you still offer these?
Can you show some examples of what the pressed louvres look like?  What material works best? Brass or aluminum?  What thickness is recommended?

They are still on the old shapeways site, as they are made of sintered bronze/steel, not something I can do in house. Unfortunately, Shapeways ever evolving pricing policy has pushed them into the ridiculous sphere. It might be possible to group them together as a set for a more reasonable value -- not sure. It may also be possible to print them with something else -- ABS simulant perhaps. I'll look into it. There are several sizes, this one has a few (small) pictures of the results:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/TG6GLJL6N/6mm-miniature-louvre-die-set?optionId=58016219&li=shops

I will post more pictures here later.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2023, 11:45:38 AM »
As promised, more pictures of the louver tool and results.

The tool is designed to be chucked into a small press or drill press. While you can make louvers in the middle of a workpiece if you first start a slit in it, best results were obtained by pressing the edges of a separate workpiece. FWIW this is how the original Fokker cowling parts were made.

Workpiece evolution:

My Fokker D.VII cowlings:

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2023, 07:34:56 AM »
This is next-level stuff. I have a Wingnut Wings D.VII on my wishlist and I think I may need to get a thing or three from you, Bo - amazing!

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2023, 07:47:58 AM »
This is next-level stuff. I have a Wingnut Wings D.VII on my wishlist and I think I may need to get a thing or three from you, Bo - amazing!

Thanks!

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2023, 12:15:02 AM »
Thanks for the additional info.  I would really be interested in these tools, but the price makes me hesitate.
Please post if there are any alternatives.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2023, 02:50:05 AM »
Thanks for the additional info.  I would really be interested in these tools, but the price makes me hesitate.
Please post if there are any alternatives.

Yeah, no kidding. I looked into bundling them as a set, but the price ends up the same. I will experiment making them in resin. For sure they won’t be durable,  but they might work for a few cycles? We’ll see.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2023, 02:43:52 AM »
If only one middle eastern prince would buy those shapeway Mercedes cylinders ;D

Steve

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2023, 09:34:16 AM »
If only one middle eastern prince would buy those shapeway Mercedes cylinders ;D

Steve

LOL!