Author Topic: Werner Voss Decals in 1/48  (Read 2057 times)

Offline SARowl

Werner Voss Decals in 1/48
« on: August 17, 2012, 08:57:33 PM »
Does anyone make decals for Werner Voss's Fokker DR1 in 1/48? The aircraft with the eyes and moustache on the engine cowl.

John 

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Werner Voss Decals in 1/48
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 11:46:42 PM »
Note that Voss flew an F.I (nr. 103) not a Dr.I. There are some differences, most apparent being the shape of the horizontal stabilizer.

I did a little searching out of curiousity and didnt come up with much. Apparently the old aeroscale 1/72 sheet #664 had the face markings inexplicably rendered in 1/48th, but I think that sheet is quite old and long OOP. I guess there are a few other OOP sources as well -- the kit supplied decals with the Blue Max kit being one.

There are a few decal makers that haunt these boards; might be worth inquiring whether they have any plans in this direction. Should be a popular option I would think.

Offline SARowl

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 06:58:34 AM »
UncleT,

How do I convert the Revell (ex Eduard) DR1 into an F1?

John

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 07:38:05 AM »
John,

Check out this review of the Encore Fokker F.I kit. I think from reading it you'll get a pretty good idea of what needs to be done.

http://www.hyperscale.com/2009/reviews/kits/encore32003reviewrb_1.htm

Others here are probably better qualified to give detailed instructions for converting your kit -- the most visible changes are he curved horizontal stab, the chin of the cowling and he lack of wingtip skids...

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 10:20:11 PM »
Yep, and the different ailerons  ;D

Offline SARowl

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 09:47:17 PM »
This is looking like a bit beyond my modelling ability :-[

John

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 10:41:50 PM »
Well then, no worries, only the nutballs will know the difference, anyway. This is supposed to be fun :-)

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 03:05:59 AM »
Rosemont Hobbies (I believe that's who I bought it from)  made a set to backdate the DML Triplane to a pre-production version, the set included resin part for a new horizontal tail (with a slight curve on the front), a new cowling and decals for Voss' 103 with the face.  I built one 10-12 years ago but you might find one with a ebay search...

Good luck.
Charlie 
"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard."  Pogo

Offline TimTam

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 01:50:29 AM »
Hello SARowl.

I have the Eduard kit which I believe is the same plastic as the Revell boxing and I think it has all the bits needed to make an F1 on the sprues. You will note that there are two sets of ailerons, two horizontal tails and two elevators. Simply use the parts that are NOT suggested in the instructions and you will have the parts you need to make an F1.

Cheers,

TimTam

Offline SARowl

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 04:23:29 AM »
TimTam,

This is looking better. Now to source some decals...

John

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 01:08:02 PM »
doug baumann of db decals makes a generic alpha/numeric decal sheet for $10 which includes albatros,fokker,pfalz,aeg,and austro-hung letters weight placards and such. so you could get everything you need to do it except the moustache et al on the cowl. which you could probably freehand if need be. other than that i dont know. good luck.