Author Topic: A Couple of Forthcoming Books  (Read 1326 times)

Online James

A Couple of Forthcoming Books
« on: April 28, 2016, 04:12:47 AM »
Zeppelins Over the Midlands: The Air Raids of 31st January 1916 by Mick Powis

http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Zeppelins-Over-the-Midlands-Hardback/p/11350

The Red Baron: A History in Pictures by Norman Franks

http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/The-Red-Baron-Hardback/p/12115
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline stefanbuss

Re: A Couple of Forthcoming Books
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 02:27:54 PM »
Hm. Is there still that amount of new information justifying another book von MvR??? There are so many other aircrew deserving being memorized...

Stefan

Offline Black Max 72

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 03:12:27 PM »
I think for those with only a passing interest in history MvR has come to represent the air war unfortunately. I agree it does do a diservice to all the other aircrew involved as well as the aerial operations in general during WWI. I blame Snoopy as well! ;)

Dave

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 02:53:34 PM »
Stefan,

There are quite a lot of books on other aces and aircrew as research continues by the Great War historians, not just MvR, although it is possibly inevitable that he receives the most attention due to his iconic status even within his own lifetime.

I do not think that will ever diminish.

However if you happen to have an interest in the wider pictures for aircrew on the allied side, I can think of no better guide than Trevor Henshaw's excellent weighty volume :"the Sky Their Battlefield" -now in it's second revised edition. This book is not only the most comprehensive guide as to the daily losses and record of the actions throughout the war, but draws on extensive research by the author from the national records at Kew as well as other verifiable sources.

Unfortunately I am not aware whether a companion volume may exist written from the Central Powers perspective, although it must be accepted that this may be much more difficult due to the lack of records remaining. Perhaps you can enlighten us?
It certainly would go some way to honouring the other aircrew whose contributions are now lost to history.

Best wishes,

Dave

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 02:35:06 PM »
Dave,

it's funny that you ask me for advice/enlightenment, as I am only an amateur historian and there are far more knowledgeable people to ask. Hey, I am not even a member of "The League" any longer, due to long fights with the old president about their webpage. Nevermind.

I am only aware of loss and victory chronicles covering the Jagdstaffeln (as if only the fighter boys deserved to be memorized) by Norman Franks:
- The JaSta war chronology, covering the losses
- Above the lines, covering the "aces" victories
- The JaSta pilots, covering the "normal" pilots and their victories as well as mentioning the aces (with reference to "ATL", of course).
The first one I don't have in my collection, the other two would profit from some kind of revision.

Not too much information around, if you ask me.

S.