Author Topic: Rudolf Stark's lilac  (Read 2056 times)

Offline Black Max 72

Rudolf Stark's lilac
« on: April 27, 2016, 10:46:17 AM »
Hi Everyone

I need some help. I've decided to do my WNW Pfalz D.IIIa as Rudolf Stark's Jasta 35b mount 8155/17. I am going to paint all the markings as well as the lilac band and spinner, I don't want to use a decal as I want to try to replicate the brushstrokes that are apparent in the band in the close up photos of Stark in the cockpit. My problem is the colour, as I've discovered lilacs, mauves and purples don't seem to be to popular with paint manufacturers! WNW has one of his planes (not the one I want to do) on their Pfalz aftermarket decal sheet. They give the colour as Fed Std 17155 but no suggestions as to colour mixes. Tamiya and Gunze have Purples but they seem too dark. The closest I've found out of the bottle is Vallejo Model color Purple 70959, it's close but I don't use Vallejo paints so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for mixes from Tamiya or Gunze paints or any thoughts on the colour in general.

Dave.

Offline Black Max 72

Re: Rudolf Stark's lilac
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 11:13:07 AM »
Thanks, that's just what I was looking for I'll give it a go. :)

Dave

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 03:03:58 PM »
Citadel (Games Wokshops) do some very nice purples & lilacs.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline Black Max 72

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 07:27:46 PM »
Haha no worries! I thought xf52 flat earth sounded a bit strange. As it turned out my local hobby store was out of xf52 so I went with gunze aqueous 49 violet. It looks close maybe a touch light and on the blue side of the spectrum but I think it will do. I find it a curious colour for a pilot to pick don't you think, don't get me wrong it's a striking colour it just seems a bit on the feminine side of things for a german jagdflieger.

Dave.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 02:30:21 AM »
One good thing, Dave, is when you are satisfied with a shade, it is only painted
on the spinner and fuselage band...nothing else to match it to, which makes it
an easier thing.  Enjoy the build, my friend.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Borsos

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 03:09:48 AM »
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Black Max 72

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 07:58:51 AM »
Haha serves me right. Good old Klinger! I forgot that pink was once considered masculine, if I remember rightly blue was feminine, funny how things have swung around. I also thought that it might be a Bavarian thing, they seemed to have the most colourful kites. As you say Ernie the lilac is only used on the fuselage band and spinner that was the main reason I wanted to mix my own rather than buy a full jar of paint that I probably only use once. Thanks for all the advice guys :D

Dave

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 04:21:01 PM »
also the germans converted from green/brown to green/mauve to 1. distinguish colors from allied aircraft and prevent confusion. 2. it was tested and found that violet tones are very good for camo, not so apparent when upclose but at a distance they seem to apper earth toned.3. i read elsewhere that the use of blues ,lilacs,pinks and such in german lozenge was due to the fact that the sky does take on these hues at sundown ,that along with the polygon pattern were a sort of early attempt at disruptive cammo. i cant support any of these things its just concepts i picked up here and there from the forum disscussions ,books and online research.