Author Topic: Applying one decal over another?  (Read 6701 times)

Offline JoeDxMB

Applying one decal over another?
« on: August 17, 2012, 12:21:32 PM »
I have been using Microset and Microsol for appling decals and it has worked out very well .

I have a  question  about applying one decal over another .

The blue center circles  on the wing roundels are a seperate decal.
So, I was wondering if I should apply microsol to the first decal before adding the second one or, first apply  the second decal and then use the microsol for the fist time then over both.   

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Applying one decal over another?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 12:32:11 PM »
Joe, I've always found that I get the best results if I apply the first decal, let all the solutions completely dry and the decal fully settled before applying the second one over it.  For me, it seems to reduce the chance of the center disc becoming misalligned.  Takes a little longer, but I like the results.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 01:17:51 PM »
Thanks.  :)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 01:36:51 PM »
I agree with Bud on this one, allow the first decal to dry completely. When I apply the second decal I use water only, no settling solution, this works very well and allows plenty of time to position the decal, and not using decal set solutions reduces any chance of a reaction with the first decal.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 01:53:47 PM »
i have to give the third opinion the same as bud and des. let the first one dry before you try to lay another on top i did a hurricane mk1 a while back and the grey letters overlapped the roundel on the side of the fuselage i thought i could lay them together. i had problems. the first decal wanted to move when i tryed to adjust the second overlapping one. it gave me the fits. the second side went so smooth because i let the roundel dry before i laid the lettering over it. saves time in the long run.

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 10:30:37 AM »
Ok...... I applied the decals as you guys recomended and they all  turned out great.
Thanks again.  :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 12:28:33 AM by JoeDxMB »

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 01:10:07 AM »
Hi, Joe,

Just caught your thread. I apply the first decal, let it dry out completely, then apply a thin coat of Future over it. This seals it against any movement, misalignment or decal setting solutions (I usually dilute them a bit with water for the second decal in any event), then apply the second decal. But you've had success with your application, so this can be filed under "Future Considerations!"  ;D
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline phil2015

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 04:43:43 AM »

Any tips on centering the inside part of the roundel?  I've not done two part roundels before but are eyeing some Revell RFC cockades in 1/48 that are two part.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 05:08:30 AM »

Any tips on centering the inside part of the roundel?  I've not done two part roundels before but are eyeing some Revell RFC cockades in 1/48 that are two part.

My experience of this:

Look at the decals

Decide it's impossible

Put it off for months

Bite the bullet and have a go

Find it is actually quite easy

I found floating the central bit about with a wet brush helped, otherwise it wasn't too scary at all

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Online RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2021, 05:52:32 AM »
Yep, it really isn't hard. I use My Mark 1 eyeball and just go for it. if you feel the need you can check to make sure the edge of the inner circle is equal distance from the outer circle by using a ruler. Obviously before it sets completely so if you are off you can reposition. ( Usually not necessary)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline phil2015

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2021, 06:55:31 AM »

Right.  I'll give it a try.  I recently had some roundels for an Iranian tank.  They looked terrific.  After I got them on the tank I realized they were not in perfect register....  I guess I'm willing to try separate components now.