Author Topic: Decal softeners and varnish advice  (Read 1458 times)

Offline AndyP

Decal softeners and varnish advice
« on: April 18, 2016, 02:03:47 AM »
Hi,
I am coming back to the hobby after a long break and I need some advice to help me get up to speed. Way back, I used to varnish the model gloss, attach the decals then overcoat with a matt or satin varnish to seal.
An art shop which is local to me has a Humbrol display stand. I notice that they have something called “DecalFix”, which softens the decal to aid fixing. Is it any good or is something else better?
And, what varnishes etc are the go-to nowadays?
AP

Offline nmroberto

Re: Decal softeners and varnish advice
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 02:45:17 AM »
Solvaset is a widely used decal softener, BUT you need to test it on a scrap decal first.  Some brands of decals don't take kindly to the solvent in it. 

Lots of good flat, satin, or gloss coats for over coating.  Vallejo works well, so does Tamiya, and both are acrylics so they clean up with water. 

You just need to try them and decide which you prefer.

As with almost any products, you should try them out on scrap decals to see how they react. 
Robert

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 06:43:08 AM »
I have always used Mr Mark Softer under my decals, this combined with a hair dryer makes the decals sit down tight onto the surface. As far as a clear coat, I swear by Humbrol Gloss, Satin or Matt Clear Coats, these come in a glass bottle and air brush beautifully. I mix 50/50 of the matt and gloss to give me a beautiful semi gloss finish.

Product choices are entirely up to the individual, what works for one may end up being a complete disaster for another, I think trial and error will determine what product suits you the best.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline AndyP

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 03:18:17 AM »
Thank you Chaps.
AP

Offline Borsos

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 05:09:05 AM »
Hi,
a friend of mine only uses Revell Aqua Color matt varnish. He does not use water but window cleaner to mix it. His models (he makes jets in 1/72 scale) are looking great with that. As a gloss varnish future floor wax works absolutely great.
As decal solution Mr mark softener and mr mark setter are very good products in my opinion (I know the guys at Eduard's mix them together, brush that mix on the model and add the decal. They are making great progress, but I never tried it. I always use them separately).
Whatever varnish you use, spray it in several thin coats and let them dry between. I almoust ruined an 95% finished model by spraying too much varnish at the same time... :-\
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 01:35:24 PM »
micro sol works well for me.unless its really alot od detail to conform to them solvaset