Author Topic: Hi from Hastings UK  (Read 1164 times)

Offline AndyP

Hi from Hastings UK
« on: April 17, 2016, 08:26:33 AM »
Hi one and all.

I am now 52, but at one time used to spend just about all of my pocket money on Airfix kits. It took two weeks to save enough for a series 1 kit, which was completed in much less time. Since then, I have helped the kids massacre a number of different kits, and produced one or two on my own back that were OK, but nothing since.

I want to get back into the hobby though I cannot hope to come up to the results that are shown in many of the pictures shown within this forum, which are premier league – museum quality. Well, maybe when I am 72.  For now, I am happy to be an average Joe. WW1 grabs my interest as I have experienced the fact that the era is an enjoyable challenge (I did a few in 1/72 and even did some molten sprue rigging).

From my experience, 1/72 is too small for WW1. If this is your area, keep doing it. A bigger scale is better IMHO. Which leaves 1/48 or 1/32 or bigger. Space is a factor, as well as cost and more importantly time commitment, so I am prodded towards 1/48.

So, I am looking for something with not too much rigging as a first project. What is the best 1/48 version of a Fokker Dr1? Or could anyone suggest something else for a starting project? Eindecker, Junkers, Bristol? That is: limited rigging, certainly not double lines.

AndyP
Hastings
UK

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Hi from Hastings UK
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 08:42:20 AM »
How about the 1/32 WNW Roland C.II? Not much rigging, an iconic aircraft in a big scale and a wonderfully engineered model that will delight you...

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 08:51:04 AM »
Welcome aboard, Andy!  You came to the right place to get into WWI modeling.  Bo is right.  The WNW Roland is an exquisite kit, one that I'm certain you'll enjoy and with very little rigging.  If, however, you want to stick to 1/48 scale, the Eduard Roland C.II is an excellent little kit.  So are any of the Eduard Fokker D.VII kits.  Very little rigging there, as well.  The Roden D.VII kits are marginally better detailed, but the fit is challenging and the decals are dodgy.  Best stick with Eduard to get started.  Whatever you choose, I look forward to your participation in the forum.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 08:54:09 AM »
Welcome back to the Hobby and to the Forum Andy. If you are definite on 1:48 due to space restrictions I'd say the Eduard Line would be a good starting point, a DR.1 or one of the Nieuport Scouts for example. Like Bo I prefer the larger 1:32 Scale, space manageable and easier on my old eyes and fingers. (I'm about to reach that latter age figure you mention! :o) We have some real world class 1:48 Scale Modellers here, I`ll leave other recommendations for them. I look forward to your contributions here.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 09:49:36 AM »
Hello Andy and welcome to the forum, I look forward to your participation with the forum and its many friendly and helpful members.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 12:27:28 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Andy.  I am a confirmed 1/32 addict, but originally in 1/48
until age started to take hold.  I would go with Eduard also...one of the Nieuport 17's
is a good starting choice...some rigging, but not difficult and makes a lovely model.
  I look forward to your participation, so welcome aboard! :D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 07:55:32 PM »
Welcome aboard, Andy  ;)

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 10:13:15 PM »
Hello, Andy, and welcome to this great forum.

I'm a lot, lot nearer to 72 than your 52, but still still far distant from a museum-quality builder. As an "average Joe", I find this forum a huge source of inspiration as I strive to enhance my skills.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline AndyP

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 01:43:45 AM »
Thanks for the welcome and the helpful replies, guys.
Now off to have a look at whats available from Eduard.
 :)
AP

Online RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 03:56:36 AM »
Welcome aboard Andy. As for the best 1/48th DR1 it is Eduard. Revelle of Germany has also, I believe, packaged the Eduard kit in their own boxing. Whatever you choose I am sure you will get all of the assistance and encouragement you want and or need!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 09:13:21 AM »
Hiya Andy,

A wave from Tonbridge here. good to see another local lad in the forum

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 07:53:20 PM »
Hallo Andy from another 52er!

Offline Monty

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2016, 08:54:03 PM »
Hi Andy, welcome to the site! There's lots of inspiration on this site, and plenty of subjects with limited rigging, Fokker Dr1, Junkers D1, Fokker DVii etc... Just remember to have fun! The rigging will come... Regards, Marc