Author Topic: Belgian Cockade Yellow  (Read 1610 times)

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
Belgian Cockade Yellow
« on: April 09, 2016, 11:50:41 AM »
I will soon be working on some Nieuport Vee Strutters.  One of these will be a Belgian N 23 from a Hobbycraft N17.  As there are no Belgian Cockades in 1/32 and some of the kit Nieuport Decals are dodgy, I have ordered paint masks from Mal at Miracle Masks.  Since he will now have these in his computer he can make these for you. 

I asked him to make a set with 4 upper wing cockades, lower lower wing cockades all in the French ratios and two fuselage roundels in the British proportions.  When these arrive, I will photograph a set.  One of the nice things is to my pleasant surprise checking the data file drawings several times, the N11-16, N17,21,23 and the N24 - 27 all used the same diameter wing markings.

My question now is what shade of yellow is used in the Belgian cockade? 

Offline RAGIII

Re: Belgian Cockade Yellow
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 07:42:37 PM »
I don't have your answer but I will try to look into the question. I am sure others here will know. The masks sound great and I will be in for a set once they  are ready to be purchased. I have multiple Hobbycraft , Special Hobbies , and Roden Nieuports to build! Is there a web site for Miracle Masks?
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

WarrenD

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 12:54:15 AM »
Thanks for getting him to make some Captain Slower, although I'm sure I'll find a way to misalign them when using them.  ???  Are these vinyl or kabuki tape? I'm sure he won't have a problem downsizing them to 1/72nd, no?

As to the yellow, I've no idea.

Warren

Offline Borsos

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 06:29:44 AM »
Can this be of any help?

It's a Belgian training machine.
Looks like a quite light yellow shade.
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 07:01:01 AM »
Here is the website for Miracle Masks.  I plan to draw lines for aligning to ribs wing edges et al.

http://www.freewebs.com/miraclemasks/

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 08:29:01 AM »
Thanks for the link. Added to my favorites now.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Rob_Owens

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 05:09:03 AM »
Perhaps because it lies next to the red in the flag & roundels, the shade looks to me to be more on the orange (say, Camel F1 yellow) end than the lemon end. . .
I did roundels cut from solid-color decal material once on a 1/28 Revell Camel (Olieslagers' Sk7), and the lemon yellow decal on top of the red looked just about right to me.
Hth, Rob

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 07:50:58 AM »
The Nieuport Data File gives the US Federal Standard number of FS 13432 which correspond with Interwar Wing yellow for US Aircraft.  Will have to make a study.