Author Topic: Puma engined DH4, 'F' Squadron on Imbros, mid 1918  (Read 3945 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Puma engined DH4, 'F' Squadron on Imbros, mid 1918
« on: August 11, 2012, 08:27:02 AM »
This is the superb 1/48 scale Roden kit.  I built this one two years ago and just took some new photos today for the Roden website.  I figure if we flood them with emails and photos of our work, they might just realize that there really is a market for WWI aircraft.  anyway, since I have the pics, why not post 'em.  Some of you may have seen this bus on the 'drome, so I appologize for the repeat performance for you folks.  I'm thinkin', though, that most of you haven't seen her yet, so here she is.  I used Misterkit PC12.

Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Whiteknuckles

Re: Puma engined DH4, 'F' Squadron on Imbros, mid 1918
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 08:32:15 AM »
Beautiful work Bud - as per usual ;)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 08:55:50 AM »
Excellent build Bud of an excellent kit, it turned out beautiful, well done.

That's a good idea of yours to flood Roden with images of our completed WW1 Roden kits, it may make them realise that there is still a good market out there.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 09:56:26 AM »
Thanks an awful lot, Andrew and Des.  I really do appreciate the comments.

Des, I really hope it has an impact, but my doubts are as strong as yours, I'm afraid.  Let's hope we're both wrong.
Cheers,
Bud
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 02:15:48 PM by coyotemagic »
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 10:02:17 PM »
Every once in awhile, along comes a British marking scheme which demonstrates that they weren't all drab and mundane in appearance. This is definitely one of them. She may be an ungainly looking kite but that colour scheme really brings her to life. While I've only built 1/32 scale thus far, between this and Eduards D.VII kit, I may just have to give 1/48 scale a whirl.

Beautiful work Bud!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 10:25:10 PM »
Bravo! Very nice, Bud.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 11:53:01 PM »
  Bud,
Great to see your beautiful DH-4 again my old friend. I remember this one from the last days of the Aerodrome.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 12:03:23 AM »
Bud,
   I had not seen this one before; very nicely done and the masking appears flawless. Wish I had a reliable direct source for Mr Kit Paints, don't like the mail option and the customs charges really make it not worth the hassel and expense.
   I agree regarding Roden, altho I prefer their competitor's Kits they did start the 1/32 WWI thing more or less and their Kits are very good. Wish they'd do a Camel or two as WNW don't seem to be going there......
Cheers,
Lance  ::)

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 02:13:51 AM »
   Lance,
Try here my old friend.
http://www.misterkitusa.com/index.html

Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 04:18:44 AM »
Every once in awhile, along comes a British marking scheme which demonstrates that they weren't all drab and mundane in appearance. This is definitely one of them. She may be an ungainly looking kite but that colour scheme really brings her to life. While I've only built 1/32 scale thus far, between this and Eduards D.VII kit, I may just have to give 1/48 scale a whirl.

Beautiful work Bud!

Cheers,

Chris
Thanks, Chris.  You know, this is a rather large aeroplane, about the size of a 1/32 scale scout, so it shouldn't seem so strange to you.  I know you would love building one of these beauties.  There's also the very colorful DH4 equipped and painted for recon of the Kiel Canal, the American DH4 and the DH4s of 5 Naval Sqdn in really colorful markings.  What I like most about the markings on this one is that, although she's painted up like a trainer might be, she was fully operational.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 04:55:33 AM »
Bravo! Very nice, Bud.
  Bud,
Great to see your beautiful DH-4 again my old friend. I remember this one from the last days of the Aerodrome.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
Bud,
   I had not seen this one before; very nicely done and the masking appears flawless. Wish I had a reliable direct source for Mr Kit Paints, don't like the mail option and the customs charges really make it not worth the hassel and expense.
   I agree regarding Roden, altho I prefer their competitor's Kits they did start the 1/32 WWI thing more or less and their Kits are very good. Wish they'd do a Camel or two as WNW don't seem to be going there......
Cheers,
Lance  ::)

Thank you, Tony, Gregory and Lance.  Lance, if you have trouble going through Mike Taylor, mrkitusa, you could try here:
http://www.nordlandmodels.com/category/misterkit-acrylic-colors:786/
By the way, Mike's email address is:
[email protected]
Cheers,
Bud
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 04:57:25 AM by coyotemagic »

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 08:37:20 AM »
Bud,

First time I've seen this one - superb - great attention to detail all over.

Best regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 10:12:27 AM »
Thanks, Dave.  Greatly appreciated, mate.  This is a great kit, so most of the detail is already there.  Didn't add much, just a wicker seat, scratched instrument panel, Fotocut Scarf ring and bomb carriers, and plug wires.  The only reason I added those is that you can see them through the exhaust cut-out.  The only draw back, and this is common to all of Rodens DH4/DH9 kits, is the sink marks on the fuselage sides.  No real biggy, though.  Just fill 'em first thing and get it over with.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 12:51:35 AM »

Very Nice Work Bud, with all your postings here and other forums, how do you manage to build so many ??

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 01:00:29 AM »
Welcome aboard, Ed!  It's great to see you over here, buddy.  I think you'll enjoy this forum.  The secret's simple.  I'm retired and married to a wonderful woman who supports my passion for WWI aviation.  You met Carol in Monterey.  Not many wives would go along with their husbands to a weekend conference full of old fart discussing WWI aircraft.
Cheers,
Bud