Author Topic: Cradle for holding model  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Gerg

Cradle for holding model
« on: March 19, 2016, 08:50:41 AM »
Necessity is the mother of invention.

It had been awhile since my last airplane model and I had forgotten the difficulty in placing decals on a vertical surface. When I started decaling I thought I better start with something easy. How about the fin and rudder? Bad idea. I was holding a wet decal that had a mind of its own and trying to figure out how to place it on the vertical surface. Obviously I had not thought things through. Long story short I did get them on but I got to thinking, there must be a better way to position the airplane than I presently had. So the following is what I came up with.

I made it from a little foam, a yoga block and some 3 mm plywood. The yoga block is the prefect material for this. Soft, sturdy and non marring.

I clamp it at the edge of the workbench when the landing gear or wing need to extend past the height of the cradle. For most planes the landing gear will not extend past the height of the cradle but maybe for some of the larger airplanes.

I built it large enough for everything WNW produces other than the 2 or 3 very largest. Those I likely won't build but if I do I will come up with something else.

Yoga block, thin foam and ply

The piece that crosses at the back is a fiction fit to support the tail. It can be removed or reposition for different planes.

I made a templete for the largest plane I to ensure it would work. The outline of the smaller plane on the template is of the Pfalz.

If room is needed for the landing gear I clamp the cradle to the edge.

This part is used to lay the airplane on its side. It is a fiction fit between the two side pieces.

Easy placement of decals or when working on the side is needed.

Although I did not need to do anything fancy with the Pfalz to align the wings I think I could use this jig much like WNW suggests one should use a common box.

I did not get to fully use this on the Pfalz because I built it after much of the work was done. On the next I will get a better idea how well it works. So far I like it.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 12:33:40 AM by Gerg »
“Never try to discourage thinking, for you are sure to succeed.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline nmroberto

Re: Cradle for holding model
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 12:22:24 PM »
Cool idea, it would be good for lots of things as well as decals.

Setting a model on a hard work surface can scratch the paint, so this would be ideal. 
Robert

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 12:57:35 PM »
Thanks Greg for sharing your very clever idea, it certainly would make life a lot easier for many modelers.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 08:28:11 PM »
Thanks Greg for sharing your very clever idea, it certainly would make life a lot easier for many modelers.

Des.

Yes indeed!  Great idea, Greg. :D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Online RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 11:31:34 PM »
Greg,
Very inventive and outstanding results on your cradle! By the way, LOVELY looking Pfalz!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 12:50:08 PM »
Brilliant Greg, I like it! What is a Yoga Block?? (and where might I source one?)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Cimmerian

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 05:36:17 PM »
I had a similar decal problem a few years ago when I cut a couple of fingers off, I found I couldn't hold the model properley to work on it. My Dad came up with a very simple solution.

A simple cut in a thick sponge, it holds the wing without scratching the paint and makes it very easy to work on it.
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline Gerg

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 02:56:46 PM »
Hi Lance,
Been out of town with the family on spring break. Not much opportunity to reply.

A yoga block is used as a prop to lean against, sit on or otherwise help with yoga positions. I bought mine from Amazon for $13. Most sport and fitness shops will likely have them. Watch out, prices can vary greatly. They are made from a very dense closed foam. I used a bandsaw, table saw and router to make the cradle with no difficulty.

Hope that helps,
Greg
“Never try to discourage thinking, for you are sure to succeed.”
― Bertrand Russell