Author Topic: Brisfit seat belt question  (Read 1422 times)

Offline BigBlue

Brisfit seat belt question
« on: March 17, 2016, 11:18:51 PM »
Hello All,

I've been away from the bench (and forums) for some time, but have recently picked up where I left off on my Wingnut Bristol F.2b.  I am using HGW seat belts for the first time and have a question for those who know more than I.

There is a significant size difference between the HGW belts and the kit supplied P/E belts (enough so that I double checked that I had indeed purchased a 1/32 scale product).  Dry fitting the HGW belts leads me to believe that they seem small, but like I said, I am hoping somebody with more knowledge can shed some light on this.  Is this a known issue?  Are they representing different stye belts?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Offline ALBATROS1234

Re: Brisfit seat belt question
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 12:14:07 AM »
Wow that is a big difference.I don't know the answer to the question but I amsure someone else can answer as this has surely been noticed by someone else

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 01:50:04 AM »
This is not fact so continue to research! I remember discussions about this and WNW British lap belts in general. I seem to recall the consensus was that the WNW belts were oversize. Again No Proof just remembering previous comments.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 03:34:58 AM »
I've done no research or measuring on this either however I recall comments similar to those Rick has mentioned here. I elected to use HGW Belts on all of my Wingnut Builds as, IMHO, the Kit PE Belts are over sized. Again, just my opinion FWIW.  ???
Cheers,
Lance

Offline BigBlue

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 06:44:45 AM »
Gentlemen, thanks for weighing in.

So in attempting to bolster my research, I came across this picture from the RAF Museum's F2b:

I am sorry I can't give credit to the photographer, as it has been on my hard drive for over a year, and I have honestly lost the source (please chime in if you know).  Compare this picture to the HGW belts I have assembled:

Ignoring the fact that this is but a single example, the evidence here seems mixed to me.  On one hand, the belts' lengths seem to be reasonable: compared to the museum's belt, it hangs to roughly the same spot on the model.  Furthermore, when placed across the cockpit's width, they seem to be long enough to fasten realistically.  That said, is it just me, or does the belt in the RAF museum seem to be wider than the HGW belt?  It look to me like the belt's width covers the triangular span between the frame.

At this point, I'm inclined to use the HGW belts as they seem close enough, and I am not a huge fan of P/E seat belts (or more accurately, my ability to pose them realistically).  I still have some work to do before I am ready to install them, so I can still be persuaded otherwise.

Btw... nothing like posting photos to see that my trimming job leaves something to be desired!  Oh, and Lance, I want you to know that I have been immersing myself in your Brisfit build log (http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=1065.0).  I'll be thrilled if I even get close to your results.

Chris
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 09:24:09 AM by BigBlue »