Author Topic: French Aviation  (Read 1084 times)

Offline jknaus

French Aviation
« on: March 10, 2016, 04:34:56 AM »
Just recieved a book I ordered from Amazon. Its called French Aviation During the First World War by Histoire and Collections ISBN: 978-2-35250-370-5.  http://www.amazon.com/French-Aviation-during-First-World/dp/2352503701

Looks very nice and has period pictures as well as a number of colour plates. I think this would be of interest to anyone in the French GB.
James

Offline rhwinter

Re: French Aviation
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 05:28:55 AM »
French aviation, an interesting and widely underestimated topic! At least that's my opinion... I've seen that book advertised before and would really appreciate it, if you could do some kind of a short review, James.
Richard

Offline jknaus

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 05:49:07 AM »
I'll try and do something up for you later today.I stupidly agravated my back at work  and am now in bed with a hot pad.

Offline jknaus

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 04:02:05 AM »
Sorry this has taken me so long but I hope this will do.

The book is soft cover 12 inches by 9 inches and has 176 pages. There is no table of contents and so you get right into the subject from the beginning. The first chapter is titles "From the Marne to the Somme and thereafter the chapters are titles by year. The 1916 chapter is broken up with another chapter named from an action and then continues by year until the last few chapters where  an Assessment of the First World War Aviation followed by the aircraft, aces, and members of the air-force are detailed.
Throughout thew book there are period pictures as well as post cards, maps, and some very nice profiles. Personally I find the layout a bit chaotic with no chapters associated to the various subjects. Rather is is a visual feast that will cause you to page back and forth trying to gather whatever information you want. This is not to say I feel it is a waste of time, just not organized as I would prefer. Looking at the profile pages there are so many a/c I would love to model just because they look so colourful and interesting. The maps are in colour and show the lines and who was facing who. Interspersed at topical snippets such as the one titled "Missiles on Board" which describes and has pictures of the darts dropped on the troops. A lot of pictures are provided of weapon layouts which I also found very interesting. While it is nice that there is a treatise on each of the aces it is also very cool the write up on all the other pilots who flew alongside. The shear number of a/c shown was very interesting and I have now seen so many new to me a/c that I would love to see modeled just because they are so different.
Over all I am very pleased with this book despite my one complaint and will thoroughly enjoy reading all the interesting tidbits.
I hope this is okay and of some use.
James

« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 10:44:16 AM by jknaus »

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 08:07:03 AM »
I bought this when it came out; I agree with James' overall impressions that it is quite interesting despite being a bit scattershot. I would also add that the English translation is sometimes a bit rocky.