Author Topic: Maurice Farman MF 11 no. 1338, MF 2, April 1916, Verdun-Front  (Read 7877 times)

Offline Borsos

Maurice Farman MF 11 no. 1338, MF 2, April 1916, Verdun-Front
« on: February 26, 2016, 06:42:23 PM »
Hello,
waiting for some aftermarket parts to finish my Albatros C. III, I started my new project. It's quite a long time that I wanted a Maurice Farman, because it is one of the most important aircraft in the French WWI-airforce and was widely used at Verdun 1916, but there are no kits in 1/48 as far as I know. So there was only one solution: scratchbuilding. Sadly there are no books covering the MF 11 in debth, no datafile and no printed scale plans. But I found many pictures and drawings of the MF 11 on the internet, mainly of the classic MF 11 "Shorthorn" variant. I even got some old but prettily done scale plans from a magazine from the 1960ies in my hands. Davila and Soltan, French Aircraft of the First World War offer some scale plans too.
Although the MF 11 seems to be used well into 1916 (by MF 72 for example), I wanted to build the upgraded version of this airplane, the MF 11 bis, equipped with a modernized fuselage. It had something like a visor at the front of the nacelle and pilot and observer had changed places: The observer sat at the front and managed the machine gun: a more modern configuration for 1916 times. Going deeper into research of MF variants, I realized that the devil lies in the detail here too: There were more than 60 differences of the MF. 7, MF 11 and F 40 versions, I read. Oh my god...
They used different engines in the MF 11 and the MF 11 bis, a Renault V8 and a Renault V12. I had no scale plans for the V12, just for the V8... Some plans showed the fuselage with the V12 being longer than the one with a V8, which seems to be quite logical. Other drawings showed an "upgraded" MF 11 with visor but as short as the MF 11 fuselage and equipped with a V8. The dimensions of the planes were the same as well. Finaly I found out, that such versions actually existed – MF 11s with visors. So I decided to go with that. And in fact, I was lucky to find a picture of a MF 11 equipped with a Renault V8 engine AND a visor on Denis Albins much praised homepage. And I even had a serial number! This machine flew with escadrille MF 2 in April 1916 at the Verdun-front: MF 11 no 1338. That's all I wanted. So I could start without going too deep in the mentioned 60 differences, which maybe might have scared off kitmakers and authors too. Taking a close look at the picture it is obvious that this very machine had a Renault V8 engine (so it is a MF 11, not a MF 11 bis) and comparing the dimensions (including the different angle, the pic was taken) I'm convinced that it had the normal MF11-dimensions. If you are better informed than I am, please correct me (and please do it BEFORE I finish that model  ;) )
So here's the picture, taken from http://albindenis.free.fr/Site_escadrille/escadrille002.htm

(If you take a close look at the engine, you can see the four cylinders. If it were a MF 11 bis, it should have six cylinders on each side...)

I deciced to start with the engine because I was a little frightened of scratchbuilding an engine. Please don't be too critical, it is my first try and it is not finished yet...

Next step was the planes. Here I added 1mm brass rod to prevent the planes from sagging. I made two parts of each wing, sandwiched them with the brass rod in between (I carved a chamfer for it before) and taped them onto a poster tube to receive curved wings when the clue cured. I'll post some images later (when it worked...), I'll leave that taped wings for a week or so to set.
Best wishes
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline xan

Re: Maurice Farman MF 11 no. 1338, MF 2, April 1916, Verdun-Front
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 09:13:13 PM »
Just perfect ! amazing , your project is amazing!
Xan
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 10:23:20 PM »
Great engine,a ring side seat for me please.

Offline Adam

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 10:25:29 PM »
http://www.mmpbooks.biz/ksiazki/302

This link is for part two, but you can buy part one and there is a lot of the pictures and drawings form beginning of the WWI in Russia.
I'm not sure but there ought to be interesting you pictures of this plane in Russia service.

Adam.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 11:54:46 PM »
Fascinating project Borsos, and your engine looks great! ;D  I'll follow along closely, as I would like to build one of these in 1/32 some day.  I am confidant that you will do a fine job with this model. 

Regards,

Bob

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 04:35:54 AM »
Having struggled with an MF 7 I totally sympathise with your problems concerning specific detail. It seemed that every source I consulted had different information about the type so I settled in the end for single source and used modellers license when I was not certain.

I have grabbed a front row seat for this as it is going to be a first class model if that engine is anything to go by - certainly no criticism from this quarter.

Stephen.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 06:43:59 AM »
You have done a great job with the engine Borsos, looking forward to following along with your build.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline radio

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 09:33:06 AM »
Very wonderful engine.
Cheers
Martin

Online RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 10:00:11 PM »
Incredible work on your engine Borsos! I am watching with great interest as this one moves forward!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 07:25:14 AM »
thank you all guys!  :)

I got a little further with the farman. I made some wings now:

It's 0,75mm plasticcard doubled and a brass rod sandwiched between. It still needs some sanding but the wings are straight (still... )
The ribs come next. Last time I used evergreen strips, but I think this time I'll use thick decal paper (the ribs on farmans are no really prominent if you look at photos of surviving examples).

Now I needed a nacelle:

Balsa wood, tinted with a pen and some drops of carpenter glue (it's almost too much, less would have been better...)

Cutting and sanding the outlines (a scroll saw works fine with that). Then the two halves get split again. I hope the black center line is visible. that's important to keep things symmentical.
And the vacuforming procedure:

Let's add some heat ... hot air blower, oven or a dragon works fine too ... but you should use a young animal...

... and "slurp" makes the vacuum cleaner... That's how it should look like.

That's the backside of the whole affair. It is important to add some mm height before taping the masters onto the vacuumbox.

It starts to look like a farman... but there's still much to do...
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 07:27:41 AM »
Adam,
thank you for the book recommendation! Did you have the opportunity to have a look inside? As far as I know, the Russians used many Henri Farmans but no MF 11 (at least thiy type seems to have been not very common there...)
Best wishes
Borsos
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline xan

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 07:46:25 AM »
incredible!!!
 I'm very jalous....
you are not a modelers you are wizard!

Xan
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 09:53:21 PM »
I am very impressed with your abilities to scratch build all of these components! Your carving and vac forming are outstanding examples of Modeling at its best!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IanB

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 12:46:05 AM »
Very nicely done. That nacelle has come out beautifully! Does hollowing out the master make the plastic separate itself around the edges, or have you already cut the openings at the top edge?

Ian

Offline Borsos

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 01:16:51 AM »
Hi Ian,
yes, I cut the openings. Hollowing out the masters does not bring the plastic to separate itself. For the vacuforming process it is superfluous at all, I did it because I wanted to see the overall appearance of the masters, if they looked like the nacelle. The same is true for the visor. I'll cut the front part of the nacelle about 5mm over the nacelle's floor and vacuform the visor as a separate part (like on the original plane). But I added it when sanding the masters for comparison.
Borsos
Barbusse.
Remarque.