Author Topic: Short 184, HMS [i]Ben-my-Chree[/i], Aegean Sea, August 1915. Aeroclub, 1:72  (Read 2822 times)

Offline IanB

Here, finally, are the pics of my finished Short 184. But first a little potted history of this aircraft:
 The Short 184 was the first aircraft designed specifically to carry and deliver a torpedo. The prototype, (no 184 strangely enough!) was put aboard HMS Riviera on May 3rd 1915, then joined HMS Ben-my-Chree on May 21st. No. 842 was the second production machine and joined HMS Ben-my-Chree on August 10th, in the Aegean Sea.
 On August 12th at 0455hrs, Flight Commander CHK Edmonds took off in 842, without an observer, and with only 45 minutes fuel - all he could carry to get the aircraft airborne with an 810lb torpedo! He got up to the dizzying height of 1,500 feet and crossed over to the Sea of Marmora. His target was spotted near the north shore, where an earlier reconnaissance flight had reported it to be, and he dropped to 15 feet, launching his torpedo at a range of about 800 yards. The ship was struck abreast the mainmast. It was later discovered that this particular ship had earlier been torpedoed by a submarine, which was given credit for its sinking.
 However, on August 17th, both 184, flown by Flight Commander GB Dacre, and 842, again flown by Flt Cmdr CHK Edmonds, launched to attack enemy ships at Ak Bashi Liman, on the Gallipoli Peninsula. Edmonds torpedoed the middle of 3 ships which caught fire and was later taken to Constantinople. Dacre had engine trouble and landed in the straits. His engine recovered enough for him to taxi towards False Bay where he fired his torpedo at a large steam tug, which he hit and sank. He then taxied 2 miles before managing to get 184 airborne again, crossed Bulair at around 200 feet, and was within gliding distance of Ben-my-Chree in Xeros Bay when his engine finally failed completely!
 This made 842 the first aircraft ever to torpedo a ship....the rest, as they say, is history.......
 This build is in tribute to those brave and relatively unknown fliers, who faced challenges that modern pilots would deem ridiculous - and succeeded!

Thanks to all for your support and constructive criticism throughout the build!

Ian
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 01:59:17 AM by IanB »

Online RAGIII

Like I said in your build thread, a truly magnificent Model. Watching this one progress was a pleasure.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
     I echo Rick's comments Ian. This is real modelling, you've done a superb job and it's a tribute to your skills. Congratulations on a real beauty! 8)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
Superb work, Ian!  You have really made a jewel of a model.
Congratulations on the beautiful result of your hard work, my friend!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Pgtaylorart

Like I said in your build thread, a truly magnificent Model. Watching this one progress was a pleasure.
RAGIII

Agreed!

George

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
Excellent! It's been a real pleasure seeing this take shape. Nice bit of history, too, which you've certainly paid great tribute to.
Btw fantastic last picture - quite something to look forward through all that rigging!

Mark

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
That is really well done. The rigging looked to be very difficult to do.

Offline lone modeller

Brilliant!!! And again brilliant!!  That is a tremendous model - difficult enough to build in a large scale - even more so in God's Own Scale. The build was a joy to follow and the model is a sight to behold.

Stephen.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
A real gem Ian, you have done a magnificent job with the building of this model, also the painting and especially the rigging, this is a tribute to your modeling skills.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Another outstanding project Ian  8)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Short 184, HMS [i]Ben-my-Chree[/i], Aegean Sea, August 1915. Aeroclub, 1:72
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 04:07:37 PM »
Truly stunning, Ian!  That last photo especially blows me away!  Rigging perfection!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 07:51:31 PM »
Awesome! Love that shot from behind!

Terrific! I really enjoyed this labour of love! Really handsome!!!

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 10:51:11 PM »
I've read through the WIP with much interest, and the final result is stunning!

Offline malaula

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 11:00:14 PM »
Hi Ian,I must say i'm a bit disappointed ...i thought you 'd make the wings moveable ;) ;) ;)!naw,excellent workmanship on this !As I said,best rigging ever!