Author Topic: Nieuport 12 Verdun-Front 1916 1/48  (Read 3832 times)

Offline Borsos

Nieuport 12 Verdun-Front 1916 1/48
« on: February 13, 2016, 03:25:43 AM »
Hello, it's me again,
I'd like to show you some pics from my first ever scratchbuild. I love the Nieuport 12 very much but there are no kits in 1/48 around (I think Karaya published a box-art someday. Does anybody know what happened to that kit? Was it ever released?) and so I had to go on my own. I found out, that Matell (yes, the Barbie-doll guys...) had sold a home-vacuform kit for children some 50 or so years ago. Every child should be able to form his or her own toys with it. Well, then vacuforming couldn't be that difficult I thought... I built a wooden box and the masters out of balsa wood and gave it a try:

I was quite happy that it worked and that I could go with my first tries... because I ruined the masters by removing the plastic (balsa wood can easily be sanded – but it's much easier crushed...)
I fabricated the wings by sandwiching some plastic sheets and taping it around a poster tube until the glue had cured. After quite much sanding and imitating the wing ribs with thin stripes of plastic it looked like an aeroplane to me

For the interior I stole some parts from an Eduard Nieuport 16 kit

I used a CSM engine and carved a prop out of laminated wood

I finished the plane as a Nieuport 12 from N15 at the Verdun front in 1916. I found two fascinating pics of "Sole Mio" on the great homepage of Denis Albin (http://albindenis.free.fr/Site_escadrille/page_centaine.htm) There are thousands of pictures from all French escadrilles of WWI. I can't phraise this site enough!

I used the cowling and the wheels from the aforesaid Nieuport 16 to finish the plane. And I wanted a crew next to it. Because there are not very much French pilots around I sculpted two out of magic sculpt using resin heads from Phil Young (an Eduard figure on the left)

There are many things I'd like to do better for the next time, but I'm happy to have a Nieuport 12 in my collection now...
I hope you like it
Borsos

« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 05:43:24 AM by Borsos »
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

Re: Nieuport 12 Verdun-Front 1916 1/48
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 04:00:56 AM »
That is Brilliant work! You certainly are a talented modeler and sculptor! Thanks for sharing your process on this beauty!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 04:58:55 AM »
That is a beautiful scratch build Borsos! ;D  Excellent vac-forming and wing construction,and great finish.  I like your figures too!

Thanks for that website link.  Very helpful. 

Best Regards,

Bob   

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 07:04:04 AM »
An excellent job for your first scratch build, the aircraft looks excellent and the figures are very well done. 

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline IanB

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 08:01:23 AM »
Beautifully done, and those figures are incredible! Thanks for the link too.

Ian

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 08:34:16 AM »
That looks very good. Most encouraging for one who is in the process of building his first serious attempt at scratchbuilding.

I'm interested in this vacuum forming malarkey. Is there any chance you could show, or explain, exactly how it's done, please?

Offline Borsos

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 09:55:27 AM »
Thank you very much! I'm happy, that you like it! :)
Squiffy, no problem, just give me one or two days, I'll take some pictures and show the process. It's actually quite simple. The most important thing is a powerfull vacuum cleaner.
Borsos
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline xan

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 06:12:30 PM »
Very impressive work, total respect!!!
Xan
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 03:32:17 AM »
For a first scratch build that is truly excellent. Beautifully finished and presented, especially the figures which could easily have been bought from a commercial supplier. Many congratulations.

Stephen.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 12:40:45 AM »
Thank you guys!
As promised, I'll show how I vacuformed the fuselage parts.
These are the things I used:

Two wooden frames on the left, some claps and a wooden box. The frames should fit the upper part of the box quite closely. to increase tightness I added some foam rubber to the upper edge of the box

It is important, that the box is airtight, so I wasn't mean using carpenter glue...
I used thinner wood for the top where i drilled several holes. I drilled another hole into the side. This hole had the diameter of my vacuum cleaner's hose

to create the master moulds, I glued together two about 1.8 cm thick balsa wood boards. It is important to paint the inner sides red with a permanent marker before gluing them. And don't take too much glue in this case because you'll have to separate them again.
Then I cut sideviews and upperviews of my airplane fuselage in the propper scale out of paper, added them as stencils to the doubled boards and cut or sanded respectively everything away what didn't belong to the fuselage. Remember sanding a little more because of the thickness of the plastic material. The masters need to be a little smaller than the actual scaled down fuselage. The marked red line where both boards meet is the centerline for the fuselage halves. If the fuselage is sanded, you can separate the two halves again. Put them onto the holed top of your vacuforming box. Don't forget to put them on some thin placeholders, some thick cardboard or so. They shouldn't lie straight on the surface, just a little bit raised. I reinforced them there with double sided tape.
Take your vacuum cleaner and stick the hose tight into the sidehole of the box. I used some tape to seal it up. switch your vacuum cleaner on (it's important that it reaches its operating efficiency)
Then take your plastic sheet (I used 0.75 mm stuff), place it between your wooden frames and fasten it with the claps. Put the thing into your oven or use a heat gun to melt the plastic (like I did). In every case you should put the frame onto some thick wooden blocks. The plastic is hot enough, when the surface gets shiny and it starts to sag. Take it quickly out of the oven or switch off your heat gun (don't burn your fingers as I did...) and put the frames with the plastic sheet in between immediately over your box. The vacuum cleaner will do the rest:

If it looks like this, leave some time to get it cold and then treat it like a custom bought vacukit.
Te crucial point in the whole affair is to pass the right moment to remove the plastic from the heat (if it gets dark or starts to bubble it is too late. If you remove it too early, it won't lie down over the moulds.
Try it and have fun!
Best wishes
Borsos
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 07:18:38 AM »
Thank you for posting that. I may have a try one day but I'll need to buy a bigger vaccum cleaner first!

Offline Borsos

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 09:03:22 PM »
I wish you good luck! If I can be of any help, just ask!
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 01:00:46 PM »
very nice, i like the nieuport 12 too, i hope to convert my special hobby nie 10 to a 12

Offline Borsos

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 06:28:59 PM »
Albatros1234, this was my first intention too, when I started the project. But comparing the Ni 10 parts to the drawings of the Ni 12 in the datafile I thought it would be easier to built it from scratch. I at least intent to convert Special Hobbies Nieuport 10 single seater into a twoseater one day.
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 03:04:53 AM »
Truly stunning Nieuport 12, Borsos!  I was also very disappointed that Karaya never released their long promised 12 and, like Scott, decided that one day I would convert a Special Hobby 10.  Now, seeing yours, I'm encouraged to give your method a try.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence