Author Topic: Atmospheric Diving Suits 1882, 1911, 1915  (Read 9181 times)

Offline Steven Robson

Atmospheric Diving Suits 1882, 1911, 1915
« on: February 08, 2016, 01:34:28 PM »
Atmospheric Diving Suits

They've landed!

Thank you for being patient.  This thread was formerly known as: Thing from Japan 1911.   Following are some period photos of the diving suits and photos of the kits that just arrived from Walter in Japan.  This is some of the most exciting resin in my collection and I'm happy to share the joy with my Forum Comrades.  Please fell free to ask questions and or make comments.  I'm happy to help.  If you're seeking detailed information about the kits, I recommend that you contact Walter directly at Futuristic Robots in Japan (Walter's contact details are at the end of this post).

Chester E. MacDuffee

Atmospheric Diving Suit 1911 New York.

'MacDuffee's aluminium alloy diving suit was tested in 1915 in Long Island Sound.  The cylindrical joints mounted on ball bearings allowed movement in one direction only.  The joints are not likely watertight due to the fact that MacDuffee implemented a water pump in the leg section of the suit.  The pump operated on compressed air supplied from the surface and used air from the pump then expanded into the suit for use by the diver.

MacDuffee's suit was fitted with a 12 section gripper mounted on the right arm and an electric light on the left arm.  Macduffee's diving suit reached to a depth of 65 metres in 1915.'

Information courtesy of Futuristic Robots Japan: thanks Walter!

Scaphandre Atmospherique Marseille 1882

'Displayed at the Muses national de la marine of Paris.  Patent deposit 1882, manufactured in Marseille, weight 380kg (I'm making a guess its brass). In 1882 the Carmagnolle brothers Alphonse and Theodore developed this atmospheric diving suit which was way ahead of its time.  The design of the joint system used on the knees and elbows of the suit are still in use on astronaut suits.'

Harry L. Bowdoin 1918

'Granted a patent for his submarine armour in 1915, Harry L. Bowdoin in 1918 presented his diving suit for testing by marine engineers and navel experts.  Lowered to a depth of 400 feet (without occupant) off the Jersey coast, Bowdoin's suit passed the test.  Bowdoin was then lowered to a depth of 200 feet where he then walked around on a sea ledge for 45 minutes.'

OK, here are the kits from Japan

Left to right:
Submarine Armor by Chester E. MacDuffee
Scaphandre Atmospherique by Carmagnelle brothers
Submarine Armor by Harry L. Bowdoin

Here are some of my photos of the MacDuffee kit and ending with a couple of images of completed figures from Walter's website.

This is close to flawless resin casting.

Like chocolate for modellers

I forgot to photograph the clear parts for the observation windows but you will get to see these in my build log.

Best regards
Fat Otto

Howling at the moon with excitment

p.s.
Model by David Richardson
Illustrations by Stan
All the rest by Walter

You can find Walter at mail:  [email protected]

or search

Futuristic Robots on Facebook
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 04:24:57 PM by Steven Robson »
Make Otto your motto for lovely spoked wheels.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Atmospheric Diving Suits 1882, 1911, 1915
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 06:06:03 PM »
You certainly have a knack of finding the weird and unusual Steven, I have never seen these diving suits before.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 07:33:48 PM »
Hi Otto,
 Is shipping in with the price or does that get added during payment?

Cheers,
Metal Mickey  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Steven Robson

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 08:02:53 PM »
Hi Otto,
 Is shipping in with the price or does that get added during payment?

Cheers,
Metal Mickey  ;)

Hi Metal Mickey

I got free shipping from Walter at Futuristic Robots.  The vintage diving suits cost me USD$75.00 each and the shipping was free.  This is a most beautiful product; the casting is near flawless and the compound curves on the diving helmets just bring tears to my eyes.

This little fatso has got 4 weeks leave pending, so I'm determined to build the MacDuffee suit and finish my ugly-lovely Garford-Putilov truck.

Hey Des  ;D

I just don't know how this happens.  There I am, procrastinating about a model build, again, I'm home alone, unsupervised and have a nice little glass of McLaren Vale red in my hands and..

stuff just happens.   :)

I'm glad you like the vintage diving suits, they are most unusual.  At about 15cm when built, with the little PE plates on a stand, I reckon these figures will make an excellent display. 

Cheers
Steven

« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 05:40:10 AM by Steven Robson »

Offline boggie

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 08:44:07 PM »
Very interesting acquisition Steven.
They aint too pretty but I reckon a real conversation piece when built to your usual excellent standard. Sort of remind me of Astro Boy's ancestors on steroids, if they had rocket feet  ;D
Oops, dating myself a bit there. :o
Pleased to read you do some of your best thinking with a glass of good red in hand!
McLaren Vale build some good stuff!
I've just cracked a bottle of Annie's Lane Cab Merlot. (for medicinal purposes of course, hic  :P )
A good Barossa product and better than your average quaffer.
I look forward to your next update and happy imbibing.   :)

Offline Edo

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 11:19:49 PM »
Those suits are simply great!
I can't wait to see the build log, and above all, I am curiuos about the painting...
ciao
Edo

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 12:17:09 AM »
Very cool!

Offline Old Man

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 09:55:11 AM »
Those are weird and wonderful, Sir.

Looking forward to what you make of them.

Offline Edo

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 06:18:06 PM »
what scale are they? 1:16?

Offline Steven Robson

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 08:31:00 PM »
what scale are they? 1:16?

Good question Edo

I don't know but I'll find out.

Steven

Offline Paperquest

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 11:18:54 PM »
I thought I saw 1/20 on the Facebook page.  But I could have dreamed that.

Steven, you find the coolest stuff.  Now to talk myself into spending 75.00 for a small figure, a very cool figure, but still 75.00.

Mack
An armed man is a citizen...an unarmed man is a subject.

Offline Steven Robson

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 05:54:09 AM »
I thought I saw 1/20 on the Facebook page.  But I could have dreamed that.

Steven, you find the coolest stuff.  Now to talk myself into spending 75.00 for a small figure, a very cool figure, but still 75.00.

Mack

Hi Mack

They're quite large figures, I'll post when I get the info from Walter.  I reckon you've got to get your models while the getting is good.  This is small run, top quality, resin so I think it's a case of you get what you pay for.

I'll get a lot of pleasure building these kits.

Cheers
Steven

p.s. I also enjoy taking the photos of my WIP, so weathering these diving suits will be a real challenge for me.  I can see a steep learning curve coming on with my camera.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 06:08:59 AM »
Wow!  These are very cool, Steven!  I'm sorely tempted.  But, with over 300 unbuilt WWI aircraft kits in my ever growing stash, I don't think SWMBO will look kindly on my adding another genre.  Hmmm.  I'll have to appeal to her artistic side and allow the enthusiasm to build slowly.

Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Steven Robson

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 08:48:18 PM »
'... with over 300 unbuilt WWI aircraft kits in my ever growing stash, I don't think SWMBO will look kindly on my adding another genre.'

Bud

OMG Bud, n=300 kits!  That's likely more kits than you've got years left on the planet.  I reckon it's time for some selective building.  As for SWMBO, that's easy, just don't tell her.   :)

I've also reached saturation point but no where near 300 kits.  I think I should come over and help you out by lightening your load. :)

Steven

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 08:53:39 PM »

As for SWMBO, that's easy, just don't tell her.   :)

Steven

Do these little diver kits with nipples come in unmarked brown paper boxes? :o 8)

George