Author Topic: Christiansen´s W.29 elevators configuration  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Jose Chaica

• Jose "Von Muttley" Chaica
Christiansen´s W.29 elevators configuration
« on: July 31, 2012, 02:26:49 AM »
I have one doubt... which in some way is related with Pheon´s upcoming release of Oblt. z s Freidrich Christiansen W.29 markings.  :)
Which was the configuration of Christiansen´s W.29 elevators? WnW proposes several options... which is the correct one?
Can anyone help?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 02:30:51 AM by Jose Chaica »
Jose Chaica, from Portugal.

Offline rowan broadbent

Re: Christiansen´s W.29 elevators configuration
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 03:05:39 AM »
Hello Jose,

Christiansen's 2512 was from a batch of 30 nos 2507 - 2536, ordered 13th April 1918. All were C3MG type powered by the Benz BzIII.

In the Wingnuts kit there are two options from this production batch: option 'C' 2530 (august-September 1918) and option 'D' 2532 (Sept/october 1918). And guess what? they each have a different elevator/tailplane  configuration..... I think that the batch was probably produced with the configuration shown for option 'D' but some or all may have been modified in service to that shown for option 'C'.  The modification gave improved handling and eliminated buffeting and therefore a pilot of Christiansen's rank and seniority would have been one of the first to receive the modified configuration. Short answer - either of those two configurations would be OK depending on when you were portraying the aeroplane - and if he continued to fly the same machine to the end of the war it isn't inconceivable that he may have had the final production configuration retrofitted later in the war......

I will build mine in the "modified" early production configuration - for whatever that's worth!
Rowan
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 03:21:05 AM by rowan broadbent »
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline Jose Chaica

• Jose "Von Muttley" Chaica
Re: Christiansen´s W.29 elevators configuration
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 08:19:43 AM »
Many thanks Rowan!
You were very helpful. :)
Jose Chaica, from Portugal.