Author Topic: MisterKit Paints: Issues . . .Arrrgh!  (Read 3990 times)

WarrenD

MisterKit Paints: Issues . . .Arrrgh!
« on: January 13, 2016, 11:46:35 AM »
Fellow Forumites,
                           After several days of cleaning out the man cave/modeling "closet" I've finally got my workbench clear enough to be able to start sorting through some things so that I can get back in the swing of things. Tonight's project was checking on the last MisterKit paint I ordered and received in February of 2015 (never opened, still sealed). Of six bottles, two have already started to dry out and have gotten somewhat "gummy". Is there a method to salvage this? Good ol' water is a possibility, but in reading posts on modeling forums over the years I've learned that acrylic paints are strange creatures when it comes to their make-up and how they react to different thinners, solvents, etc.
     I checked the mother stash which consists of bottles well over ten years old, most of which have never been opened, had the seals broken, etc. Sadly, all of those that came in the plastic bottles have long since dried up, those that came in the glass bottles look to be as good as the day they came off the factory line. Do I have any hope of resurrecting these?  Or, do I have to resign myself that if I hope to use this line of paint in the future, that I can only order what I plan to use right away?
    Y'all are always a help, I look forward to your advice.

Offline ondra

Re: MisterKit Paints: Issues . . .Arrrgh!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 04:49:28 PM »
Hi Warren,

I do not use the Misterkit Paints any more because of their low adhesion, but by the time I was using them, I thinned them with Vallejo Airbrush cleaner (of course, only for airbrush). Perhaps this could help you with the problem. When airbrushing just remember to use only thin coats of paint and to let them cure properly.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Ondra

WarrenD

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 08:50:32 PM »
Thanks Ondra. I don't like their low adhesion either, but I do like their palette.

Thanks for the advice friend.

Warren

Online RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 09:41:09 PM »
Warren,
I don't know the answer beyond Ondras recommendation for your dried out paints. I do have to say that I have had similar problems with both the glass and plastic bottles. Once opened the Clock is ticking so I tend to order them as needed. JMHO,
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline dtomko

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 11:19:01 PM »
Warren,
Misterkit paints thin very well with plain water.  I would try reviving them with that, perhaps distilled water.  I have two sets in the plastic bottles that are over 10 years old and still useable.  I keep each set in a ziplock bag, so maybe that's helped.  A few bottles have reduced to very thick, goopy small amounts.  To use them, I take some out with a toothpick and add water and a drop of Windex in my airbrush cup and mix to a thin consistency.  Still getting good results. 

Drew

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 11:26:29 PM »
Hi Warren,

Going from memory here -aren't they made by the same company that produces Lifecolor, too? (Tensocrom or something like that?)
I've had partial success reviving Lifecolor with Tamiya X-20A acrylic thinner, and also use it as a thinner when airbrushing them.
Compared to r.g. Revell Aqua their adhesion isn't as good, but with a primer I haven't had much in the way of lift. Still speaking of Lifecolor, and still assuming they're from the same company!

Good luck!

Jeroen

WarrenD

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 09:36:16 AM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate your advice and help. As I said, the paint in the glass bottles looks to be in great shape, it's the paint in the plastic bottles, some under a year old, that's gone South.
I just hate to throw out something usable.

Warren

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 12:05:24 PM »
if mrkit is made by lifecolor this would make sense they have the same properties. i could never get the hang of mr kit. mke taylor instructed to prime with enamel flat white and they were supposed to stick better. when i tryed to airbrush them i couldnt balance the pressure/thinning it either sputtered or ran. brushing caused it to bead up as if there was rain x on the plastic. when i could get a decent coat it would easily scratch off with an accidental swipe of the fingernail. some of the mrkit ww1 colors are ok, some are vague and some are just off. besides i like mixing custom paint colors for each build. to me its fun and i get to use whatever i want paint wise. acrylic wise i like pollyscale green label the best but its out of production. you can still find red label pollyscale and its decent as well as very similar to my second fav acryl which is model master.

WarrenD

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 02:09:53 PM »
Thanks Albatros1234. I find MisterKit paints aggravating, and yeah, some of their colors are far from perfect, but there are some I do like. Actually, my first experience with airbrushing paint was with MK paint. I guess I just got lucky because it went on like a dream. Perfect. Maybe I got a good, early batch back in 2002 or 2003? I'm sure as time goes by, I'll be replacing what I've got

I'm glad you like mixing paints. I do not. However, it's inevitable that I'm going to have to do so soon.

Warren

Offline LukasTheLight

• Addicted to Wingnuts...
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 02:25:57 PM »
Hi Warren!!!!

Bit late to the party but I've used Gunze H thinner previously and It worked rather nicely too ;)

Cheerio
Lukas
"Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines.
They Can Fly Upside Down With Their Feet In The Air.
They Don't Think of Danger. They Really Don't Care.
Newton Would Think He Had Made A Mistake."

Lukas

WarrenD

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 09:34:43 AM »
Thanks Lukas!

Online RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 12:56:14 AM »
My experience has been very good airbrushing these paints. Many say they do not thin them at all but I have traditionally used future to airbrush them It also seems to help with Adhesion as I have noticed no major lifting problems. Another  note showing how we each can find different results with the same product is that I will Not use Testors MM acrylics as they Lifted when masked even after all of the normal precautions!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline oldalbie

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 06:01:28 AM »
I've had pretty good results with MK as long as I mixed in a little Future.  The only problem is where to get them here in the U.S.  Anyone know?

WarrenD

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2016, 10:08:32 AM »
Only place I know of now is Roll Models.

Warren

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 01:09:33 AM »
I have toyed with the idea of doing a line of wwi acrylic paint I got some acrylic base and tinting concentrates a couple years ago . I made some stuff for myself with custom mixed versions of German mauve etc. They perform well. I just don't think I can make it cost effective as the base isn't cheap. If you have a specific color perhaps I can make you some and charge you my cost.