Author Topic: Libramodels DH 5, 1/72 vac  (Read 2601 times)

Offline Danh4

Libramodels DH 5, 1/72 vac
« on: January 09, 2016, 12:24:48 PM »
Here's the Libramodels vac kit of the DH 5 that I just finished.  I added the rounded fuselage sides just aft of the cowl from scored plastic sheet, and the cowl reinforcing ribs to represent a production machine. 

The interplane struts are made from bamboo from a chopstick.  It's a lot of work to cut and sand it down to size but it's worth it because it is 100x stiffer than plastic of the same thickness. These struts are the same thickness as an X-acto blade and have no flex at all.  I "stained" these with a mix of Vallejo sepia wash, Future and water to get a color I liked.

I made an attempt at showing the ribs and structure under the translucent clear doped linen undersides.  The lighter color was sprayed overall, then the ribs were masked and Tamiya Smoke was sprayed lightly.  It adds a lot of interest I think.

I used my usual Nitinol wire for the main rigging but tried some Uschi rigging thread for the first time for the rudder and elevator cables, it worked really well for that.

-Dan
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 09:24:09 PM by Danh4 »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Libramodels DH 5, 1/72 vac
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 12:48:39 PM »
This is a very attractive model Dan, the modifications you did to the fuselage really turned out well. Bamboo makes excellent wing struts and as you say, are extremely strong, overall you have produced a very nice model, well done.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 01:54:36 PM »
 Dan,
Fantastic project my friend. All your extra work and additions payed off in spades. Well Done! I'm glad to read that there's a use for Chop Sticks other than sticking myself in the eye or face. Hope to see more Vacuform kits from your talented bench.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 02:18:18 PM »
Beautiful work in my favourite scale. Thanks for sharing Dan
Cheers
James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline xan

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 05:59:01 PM »
very nice job, congratilations!
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 11:47:31 PM »
Beautiful model of an unusual subject Dan, and a vac kit, no less!  Very well done.

Regards,

Bob

WarrenD

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 12:01:24 AM »
Dan,
As usual, another great WWI vac done to a very high standard. A friend on the WWI Modeling List informed me of the bamboo skewer struts years back, and I bought some bamboo skewers and placed them in the drawer for "someday". Thanks for bringing it back to my attention sir!
Question: how did you produce the reinforcing ribs on the cowling? The sprue gates on my Eduard Nieuport are right next to the ribs on my cowling, and sanding the gates down has taken them away and I need to replicate them. Haven't decided the best method yet.

Warren

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 12:34:15 AM »
Dan,
As usual, another great WWI vac done to a very high standard. A friend on the WWI Modeling List informed me of the bamboo skewer struts years back, and I bought some bamboo skewers and placed them in the drawer for "someday". Thanks for bringing it back to my attention sir!
Question: how did you produce the reinforcing ribs on the cowling? The sprue gates on my Eduard Nieuport are right next to the ribs on my cowling, and sanding the gates down has taken them away and I need to replicate them. Haven't decided the best method yet.

Warren

I have to echo Warrens comments... including the List and having a bag of them waiting to be used someday  ::)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IanB

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 02:46:32 AM »
Very nicely done, Dan! I do like those struts....

Ian

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 02:49:35 AM »
Lovely model in the correct scale too. The under shading of the wings is most convincing - the struts also look the part. Great modelling all round.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 06:03:22 AM »
Simply gorgeous, Dan!  The DH5 is such an interesting lookinng aircraft and you've done a brilliant job on her.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 08:18:35 AM »
Excellent, Dan -

What a great result!

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline Danh4

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 11:54:52 AM »
Thank you all!  I was happy to have something to share here again.

-Dan

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 01:37:34 PM »
really nice work, looking at the photos it looks much larger scale.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 09:53:55 PM »
Very nice! Thanks for posting it.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.