Author Topic: Resin and paint strippers/thinners  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Resin and paint strippers/thinners
« on: January 03, 2016, 09:19:06 AM »
Has anyone had issues with resin and paint strippers, or resin and paint thinners, I would like to know the restrictions on what can and can't be used on resin.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Resin and paint strippers/thinners
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 09:27:37 AM »
Don't know about paint strippers, but AFAIK resin is pretty much impervious to lacquer thinner, MEK, mineral spirits, & alcohol. Can't say I've tried acetone on it.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 09:48:28 AM »
Thanks Bo for your response. I use a lot of lacquer thinner and have not had an issue but only yesterday I had to remove some paint from my Aviattic Marienfelde truck kit and used Mr Hobby Paint Remover. The paint was Humbrol enamel and even though the paint remover is designed for acrylic paint the enamel came off quite easily, probably because it was still fresh. What I did notice though was the resin became a little sticky, even after washing the paint remover off with fresh water then giving it a good wash with warm soapy water. After a few hours the resin settled down and resumed its normal feel, is this a normal reaction. BTW, no damage was done to the kit part.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 10:41:01 AM »
hmmm.... that's interesting... I have not experienced this.

Time for some experiments....

WarrenD

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 09:33:28 AM »
Interesting reaction Des. In building my Fokker F.I I had to strip paint twice, but used Pollyscale paint remover. The resin upper wing did not react, but after the second stripping, the plastic got quite "dry" if that makes sense. (Yeah, I had to strip it twice, it was a learning experience.  ;) )

Warren

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 01:49:17 PM »
i have used that "scalecoat wash away" paint remover with success just removing paint from resin but once i soaked an engine overnight and it actually softened the resin and made it flexible and sticky.it remained this way for a few weeks,it eventually hardened again. so perhaps it will cure again for you. maybe give it a few weeks before you try to paint it to make sure.

Offline Isitwindyyet

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 12:10:32 PM »
I once forgot that I left a resin ejection seat soaking in hardware store lacquer thinner for an extended time period and it disintegrated when I finally took it out. Never had any short term paint strip problems with resin and lacquers before.