Author Topic: Wicker seat  (Read 2922 times)

Offline nmroberto

Wicker seat
« on: December 13, 2015, 03:01:40 AM »
Hi y'all.

Any suggestions on who makes the best after market wicker seat suitable for a DH-2? 
Robert

Offline Pgtaylorart

Re: Wicker seat
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 05:03:11 AM »
Hi y'all.

Any suggestions on who makes the best after market wicker seat suitable for a DH-2?

In which scale?  I have the Barracuda seat in 1/32, but when I tried it in my Wingnuts kit it looked too small. I ended us going with the kit part. With proper painting, it looks great.

George

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 06:56:42 AM »
Hi Robert - George is correct here about the Barracuda seat - well certainly in 1/32. I noticed this on my Camel build and contacted Roy Sutherland over the matter - here is his reply

Hi Ramon.

Sorry for the slow response.

You are correct. I went back to the artist and asked about the sizing. He was embarrassed that he had forgotten to make the 16" dimension on the inside of the seat, instead of outside. Being wicker, the structure is about an inch thick, making the usable seat dimension too small.

We will be reprinting this seat, but its going to take 3-4 weeks to get the new seats into production. I am gone for the next week or so to a show in the UK. Then we need a few weeks to get the set into production. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Can you send me your mailing address so i can be sure to get your order shipped ASAP?

Thanks.  Roy

As I had got round the problem by cutting the seat out I declined Roy's kind offer to replace it so I have no idea if the update is still on track or when it will become available.

The seat itself is an exquisite moulding so it's a shame its too narrow (the height appears correct however) Whether or not the same problem exists across the other two scales it's available in I have no idea but would think it likely. Once modified (the details are here  http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=6180.90) it doesn't look too bad and virtually unnoticeable once installed.

Hope that's of some use  - Tug

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 07:02:19 AM »
Have a look here Robert http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=5571.0   bear in mind though that this was an out of box review, they were not fitted to any models.

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 07:19:28 AM »
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 04:38:41 PM »
I think one of the three seats Barracuda makes is the appropriate style for the Camel. Let's hope they are the correct size for the new WnW kits coming soon. They are beautifully cast and the detail is exceptional. I would love to use one, but they have to still fit properly.

George

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 07:20:15 PM »
Hi George - The seat I used - #32233 comes as a pack of two and is listed as suitable for the Camel amongst others. The internal width is way too small for the scale - in full size a backside nipping 12.6 inches in fact.  The  other set, #32234 contains two different seats but I have no idea if these suffer from the same small internal width problem.  All are, as you say, exquisitely detailed and beautifully rendered but once dropped into the cockpit as made look far too narrow to get away with.

It's not something I thought about at the time but I guess etched seat belts would look a mite over scale too if the seat is not modified

I see the original version is still on the Barracuda site - lets hope they get remoulded to the correct pattern soon

Tug

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 07:36:53 PM »
Here is an interesting account of how seats are made, some dimensions are included.  http://www.wickerworks.com.au/wicker-pilot-seat.html

Des

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 01:28:25 AM »
It's unfortunate that these seats are all too narrow. When they were first released I bought all 3 versions, but now I guess they'll sit in my parts drawer.

Are the dimensions of all 3 being corrected? I'd really like to use them in some of my models.

George

Offline nmroberto

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 02:52:44 AM »
Sorry, I should have been more specific.

The seat would be for a 1/32 Roden DH 2
Robert

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 06:04:57 AM »
I would go for the Brian Fawcett wicker seat, it is specifically designed for the DH.2.

Des.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 06:45:09 AM »
Hi George - The seat I used - #32233 comes as a pack of two and is listed as suitable for the Camel amongst others. The internal width is way too small for the scale - in full size a backside nipping 12.6 inches in fact.  The  other set, #32234 contains two different seats but I have no idea if these suffer from the same small internal width problem.  All are, as you say, exquisitely detailed and beautifully rendered but once dropped into the cockpit as made look far too narrow to get away with.

It's not something I thought about at the time but I guess etched seat belts would look a mite over scale too if the seat is not modified

I see the original version is still on the Barracuda site - lets hope they get remoulded to the correct pattern soon

Tug

Tug, George,
    I finally got around to checking this out as a quick glance into the cockpit of my WNW DH.2 indicated that the Barracuda seat fits rather snugly, in fact to my eye perfectly in line with the photos I've seen. I used set BR32234 which supplies one each of the high and low backed seat versions. I just measured the inside width of both on the second set I had bought, both are 13.5 - 14.0 mm wide at the front. So, either I got an updated or corrected version or this Set was done correctly while the BR32233 Set you have  was made using the wrong measurements. I'd be very interested in what measurements you Guys have on yours.
      I'd say, nmroberto, that if you ordered the BR32234 set and used the lower back version you couldn't do much better, they are beautifully made.
Cheers,
Lance

PS.
   Using a dial caliper the Barracuda seat I used is 0.65 inches, which scales at 20.8 inches full size. My computer desk chair is 19.5 inches wide, so it makes sense.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 06:58:17 AM by lcarroll »

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 07:14:52 AM »
Brian Fawcett also does a very nice replacement propeller for the Roden kit. Way better than the kit part
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 10:46:20 AM »
Here are my digital caliper measurements and observations:

-The WnW DH.2 seat is 0.56 inches.

-The Barracuda seat BR32233, which is the low back style appropriate for the DH.2 is 0.486 inches wide on my sample.

-The other two Barracuda seats, set BR32234, width measures 0.538 for the medium back, and 0.532 for the high back. But these two are the wrong style for a DH.2 from all the reference I've found.

It seems that the medium back seat would fit the best as far as the width goes, but it is too tall, and the wicker has an open section across the mid back portion, much like a Sopwith Camel seat.

I don't have a Roden DH.2 kit so I can't speak of the fit issues there.

@Lance - your Barracuda seat is much wider than any of the 3 I have. I purchased mine when they were first released. They must have redone them.

George

PS: That's more than I ever though I'd write about wicker seats! :o ;D