Author Topic: figure sizes  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Doug Mace

figure sizes
« on: December 03, 2015, 05:57:32 AM »
Ok, people... I have what's probably a bit of a doltish question...about resin figures. I have tried to sort this out by blindly gawking at conversion charts but it's math...numbers and fractions...aka oil and water...indecipherable and all Greek to me etc etc. What I'm curious about is if one were to place a 1/32 figure (54mm) next to a 1/35 (??mm) figure on a diorama, would the difference in height be negligible enough to not look ridiculous? Just as we are all of different heights and builds? Or would the different dimensions be more than you'd think and I'm dreaming? Remember, I called it a dumb question. Just trying to cheat a bit by having more choices for ground personnel on my lay-out, is all.... Ta.              -M
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 06:13:04 AM by Doug Mace »
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: figure sizes
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 06:41:17 AM »
just a bit of math...

a 5' 8" man = 1728mm / 32 = 54mm

the same guy in 1/35 scale would be 49mm ... or about 10% smaller

a 49mm figure in 1/32 scale would be about 5' 1"ish  or 1570mm... short but once the draft got all the A-1 men, not impossibly so I guess. :)

I think it's a bigger issue with larger scale things like trucks and equipment and stuff, where the 10% discrepancy starts to cause problems.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 07:00:38 AM »
I have used 1:35 scale tank driver figures, modified them and used them as seated pilots in some of my aircraft models, because they are seated the scale variation is not noticeable and they look perfectly okay in a 1:32 scale aeroplane, they would look even better if I knew how to figure paint  :-[

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 07:30:04 AM »
Mr. Barrymore,

As you point out, people are different heights in the real world, why not in the model world as well?

But, to me, the real problem is not 1:32 vs 1:35, it's that the manufacturers do not use a common measure....even though you'd think they would. For example, I ordered figures from both Kellerkind and Tommy's War. Both are really excellent sculptors and makers of figures that will work well with WWI planes and dioramas. I hate to tell you that, in some cases, the Tommy's War figures are almost a full head taller than the Kellerkind figures. And it's not just the height. The figures are all well proportioned so, size wise, one looks like an adult and the other looks like a child...with a moustache.

I have quite a bunch of recently made and very well done figures by a range of manufacturers here and, based on my experience, if you're getting more than one, choose figures from the same product line.

FWIW, Red Lancers in PA is a good supplier. Chuck Robinson is a good guy, the prices are competitive and he ships pretty much the same day. IT's amazing in this day and age to find an independent hobby shop! http://redlancers.com/

HTH.

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

Offline Kreston

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 07:41:32 AM »
As a long time figure painter, it really depends on the figures you are using.  54mm (1/32) and 1/35 don't just vary in height but in complete body size.  Also be wary of equipment, thought people come in different sizes the equipment issued pretty much stays the same size.  Compare a 54mm and 1/35 scale helmet, rifle, goggles, etc.  If you put two different scale figures next to each other in a diorama and question how they look together then you probably already know the answer.

Kreston

I just realized that my last sentence might come across as flippant but it wasn't meant that way.
I shall never forget my admiration for that German pilot, who single handed, fought seven of us for ten minutes. I saw him go into a fairly steep dive and so I continued to watch, and then saw the triplane hit the ground and disappear into a thousand fragments...James McCudden

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 04:48:32 AM »
Mr. Barrymore,

As you point out, people are different heights in the real world, why not in the model world as well?

But, to me, the real problem is not 1:32 vs 1:35, it's that the manufacturers do not use a common measure....even though you'd think they would. For example, I ordered figures from both Kellerkind and Tommy's War. Both are really excellent sculptors and makers of figures that will work well with WWI planes and dioramas. I hate to tell you that, in some cases, the Tommy's War figures are almost a full head taller than the Kellerkind figures. And it's not just the height. The figures are all well proportioned so, size wise, one looks like an adult and the other looks like a child...with a moustache.

I have quite a bunch of recently made and very well done figures by a range of manufacturers here and, based on my experience, if you're getting more than one, choose figures from the same product line.

FWIW, Red Lancers in PA is a good supplier. Chuck Robinson is a good guy, the prices are competitive and he ships pretty much the same day. IT's amazing in this day and age to find an independent hobby shop! http://redlancers.com/

HTH.

Cheers from NYC,
Michael  -----    Michael... A full head taller? Really? Well, that's about the 10% Bo cites...or more. Ain't come across such discrepancies...haven't dealt with that many figures so far...my first diorama....the ones I do have for my project are perfect though...but thanks all, for input...and ala Des, just might properly alter a 1/35 guy or two's appearance and obscure him in a hangar or somesuch so as to mess with perspective. And no flippancy inferred, Kreston.            -Yours, DM Barrymore
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde