Author Topic: TVAL Flying Weekend 28-29 November 2015  (Read 6136 times)

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
Re: TVAL Flying Weekend 28-29 November 2015
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 01:36:45 PM »
Nice to see your photos Zac. I will post some of mine tonight when I get home from work. 'Experimental' lettering on the fuselage signifies that the BE2c has not yet completed its flight testing for certification, which is why it is not flying in public yet. The vinyl lettering will be removed when this is completed, same it was for all the other TVAL aircraft when they were new.
Cheers
James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 02:09:02 PM »
Excellent Jamo, looking forward to seeing your photos.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2015, 05:50:26 PM »

Feels like my life was on hold over the winter as I waited for the first TVAL flying weekend of the season. The weather at Masterton can be quite changeable at this time of year so I tried to keep my expectations realistic. I thought to myself that even if there is no flying, it will be great to see the collection again and there might even be a glimpse of those new planes that have not made a public debut yet (Sopwith Camel and Liberty-engined DH4).

As ever, click on the images to enlarge. Most are reasonably large

After a one hour 30 min drive over the Rimutaka range I arrived at Hood Aerodrome to find the wind was quite gusty and the TVAL team were busy preparing for the event. Here is Gene DeMarco cleaning the floor of the hangar

Planes that have been hangared all winter need to have accumulated bird guano washed off

Radiators filled up

Oil levels checked

Apart from Gene DeMarco, all the pilots are volunteers. Here is John Bargh cleaning the BE2c (early)

These first photos were taken on my mobile phone and uploaded immediately to the Vintage Aviator Facebook site. The flying weekend hasn't had any publicity other than the creation of a Facebook event. This is partly to avoid civil aviation compliance costs associated with a large formal show. The current format is a more informal event to provide flying time for the volunteer pilots. We had about 20-25 spectators on the first day.

Some planes remained in the hangar for the day.

The new BE2c was looking gorgeous

I love the authentic finish TVAL create in the cockpit

The Avro 504 went up. Its a very special old plane, an original RNZAF specimen with its original engine, loving restored.

Beautiful to see, then its back to the 'private' hangar

Next the Albatros and SE5a went up. Priming the Mercedes engine:

Waiting for the engine to warm up

And then its off and and away

Unforgetable sight

The TVAL pilots don't rate the Albatros highly as a dogfighter, saying it's heavy on the controls, cumbersome. They much prefer flying the SE5a.

But it sure looks graceful

The DH5 is an ugly looking thing with its reverse staggered wings

I like this shot of the ground crew watching the distant Albatros

The wind strength rose and it became clear there would no more flying on Saturday. John Lanham, a very experienced ex-RNZAF and warbirds pilot, gave as an informative tour of the flight line

I returned on the Sunday and the weather was much improved.

The Fokker EV went up

Its probably the most maneuverable dogfighter in the collection but is a bit underpowered

The Nieuport is another nimble aeroplane, very light

Clouds of castor oil smoke on start up, love it!

And there was a nice surprise - the new Sopwith Camel was wheeled out (I had asked Gene for a special favour on the Saturday)

This Sopwith Camel is an original aircraft fitted with an original Clerget engine, restored by The Vintage Aviator Ltd. At the time of writing it has not yet been certified to fly but this expected very soon.

It is finished in the markings of B5663 of A Flight 10 Naval Squadron. Flt Lt Curtis used this aircraft to secure his 11th victory in late 1917. On 23 January 1918 it was in a collision with an Albatros Scout and lost, its pilot Flt Sub-Lt Blyth being killed. The German pilot was also killed, although he was credited with the victory. Although reported to have fallen locked together, they appear to have separated near the ground, and this Camel landed pretty well intact. Total Victories for Curtis 13.

Does this whet your appetite for the forthcoming WNW release early next year?

It looks like a killer to me

Big Brother and Little Brother in the hangar.

Big thank you to the good folk at The Vintage Aviator for showing off their workmanship, its a real treat and greatly appreciated. The next flying weekend is one the last weekend of December, Boxing Day and the next day. Anyone coming?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 05:57:40 PM by Jamo »
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2015, 06:44:31 PM »
As usual Jamo your photos are superb, it is so nice to see all of these aircraft so beautifully presented and even better to see them in the air, what an awesome sight. Thanks very much for taking the time to post these photos, my favorites are still the BE.2 aircraft.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2015, 07:29:51 PM »
Excellent photos KiwiZac and Jamo. Thank you so much for bringing the TVAL flying weekend alive for the rest of us. Your photos are fantastic and as always a great research aid for modelling.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2015, 09:58:11 PM »
Magnificent, Jamo, thanks. I wonder how closely the WNW Camel cockpit will follow the shots you've provided?

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2015, 10:49:00 PM »
   Wonderful coverage as always Jamo, your photos are so much appreciated!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2015, 11:17:58 PM »
Great reports and images. The rest of us hate you :) No wonder von bob is selling his 'nuts.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2015, 05:14:54 AM »
Beautiful shots, Jamo! I'm glad to see the Avro out and about, and the new Camel looking great. That may be the aircraft that makes me finally like the type! See you in January?